• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 20 IWC DCO Board

Frank Papageorgio

Thanks for your thoughts.
I want to tell you that I appreciate your service to the peace corps and your aspirations to become a Commissioned Officer. Leadership does require answering questions and solving problems. The way these questions are answered are a window to affective leadership.

I want to tell you that I have 12 years experience with an alphabet agency. I am also prior service Army, 5yrs active duty. The point is that even being connected to some pretty cool experiences, which are not appropriate to cite here, I was not selected during the March board (still no word on the September board). This just proves how compeitive the selections are and it increased my frustrated motivation.

To answer your question, if you want to be a commissioned officer, you just go ahead and do what you have to do - to accomplish your goal. You should have the thought in your head, “they are going to have to drag me out of this training, because I’m NOT quitting”. It’s important to remember that, because my next advise is apply for OCS. You DO have a platform to be selected for OCS, but as indicated before, DCO means that you already have the leadership skills and you can prove it, no problem.

Anyway, my point is to go ahead and apply for OCS, but I strongly advise you to not limit yourself to just the Navy. Consider all the other branches. If you need further advise, I am willing to connect with you offline (send me a private message) and we can navigate through the weeds.

I do kind of think your recruiter misled you and possibly, took advantage of your time, with the underlying motivation to pad stats. I am sorry for that and you should know that it is not your fault.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

subreservist

I do kind of think your recruiter misled you and possibly, took advantage of your time, with the underlying motivation to pad stats. I am sorry for that and you should know that it is not your fault.

No, the recruiter did not mislead or take advantage. The recruiter is there to navigate an applicant through the process of completing a package to submit. As long as you meet the minimums of the PA, you are eligible to apply. There is no advantage to the recruiter for you not to select.

While a recruiter may be able to provide some insight on competitive stats for selection, they are not involved in the actual selection process. Every board is different, there are a lot of applicants to review and the needs of the community play a part also.

If you're looking for the easiest way into the military, Army is the way to go!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You sure? I guess I'm thinking Army based on the number and variety of jobs available and possibly different (lower?) academic standards.
Yes.

No way in hell I would join the Army as anything less than an 18X candidate. You think the Navy is backwards in some ways...

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
No offense, but AYFKM? You are applying out of the most competitive region in the United States. IMHO, you are in no way, shape, or form competitive for 1835/Intel as compared to the current applicant pool and people I have interviewed. I am not saying you could not succeed as an 1835 -- anyone can -- just saying that from a DCO application process that your stats are not on par with others.

My recommendations would be to go for Supply -- maybe --, or to enlist as a CTI, depending on how high your DLAB is for Mandarin. There is CTI stuff going on in the DC area for Reservists.

SUPPO here, not much there to be competitive for Supply in the DMV either. Most of the people in the region are Federal employees with a contracting background (1102s). Those that do not have significant years of professional Business experience (Management, Finance, Accounting, Consulting, etc) with an education in Business field (BS-Finance/Accounting, MBA, MSF).

At 30yo there is still plenty of time to switch jobs/careers and gain the experience to be competitive for a DCO slot.

Does anyone have any insight into what’s going on? If it was an investigation Into the board, would they be telling anyone? Based on the completely anecdotal info from me scavenging through here, this seems like an outlier from a timing perspective.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
SUPPO here, not much there to be competitive for Supply in the DMV either.
Then there you have it.

OP, I would honestly consider enlisting where you can use your language skills: CTI.

Despite what the recruiters tell you, you will never use your language skills as an Intel officer.

subreservist

Does anyone have any insight into what’s going on? If it was an investigation Into the board, would they be telling anyone? Based on the completely anecdotal info from me scavenging through here, this seems like an outlier from a timing perspective.

I mentioned previous, and this is by no means any true insight, but the PA for Intel DCO has been pretty much the same for several years. They finally updated it, and it applied for the first time to this board which included some verbiage on "constructive entry credit".

Out of the 3 (Intel/CW/IP), Intel has the higher number of selectees. My thoughts is there may be some extra involved in applying that credit to certain individuals. Plus changes with all going to ODS, which may not be factor, but Navy changing multiple variables at once could be part of the delay.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
the PA for Intel DCO has been pretty much the same for several years. They finally updated it, and it applied for the first time to this board which included some verbiage on "constructive entry credit".
Where is this? I dont see it in the current PA and the only one I heard from the OCM that was updated was CW. Can you cite your source?

Attachments

• 108a.JPG
    108a.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 6

subreservist

Apologies, CE doesn’t apply to 1835. All of the PAs have been revised and it’s all a blur on the changes.

Bubblehead is correct; everyone starts as Ensign.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Apologies, CE doesn’t apply to 1835. All of the PAs have been revised and it’s all a blur on the changes.

Bubblehead is correct; everyone starts as Ensign.
They added the ability for CWO and IP to come in up to an LT but that doesnt mean if you qualify you will. I am curious if anyone from the latest board was selected as an O3.