• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 20 IWC DCO Board

WAMI

Long process but expected... 13 months ago I began the process of assembling my kit. I would had been ready for the board Sep, 2018 -- assuming I had passed the hearing test. Three attempts to get a hearing waiver, I was finally successful Feb, 2019, too late for the scheduled March board though. The last week of March my OR had called me to tell me that an unexpected opportunity had come up and everyone's kits were kicked back, as there was a new interviewing requirement (additional number) -- and the board would possibly reconvene late April, 2019. I quickly ran back to the office and scheduled the one additional interview needed with a CDR I work with.

Per the thread above, the news regarding an April board is false... Per the link below, there does not appear to be any more IWC -DCO boards FY19? Is anyone expecting schedule revisions?

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...Documents/FY19 Board Schedule Final-Rev 4.pdf

sth7

I've been waiting for the call! Did they tell you where you'll be drilling in the meantime before you go to DCOIC?

Bones

I'm prior, and already attached to a NOSC, but in a non-intel unit. I'd imagine I'll just get scooped up by the Intel unit there.

Your question invites another... If I'm already in the Reserves, should I be rescheduling and pushing my drills back until I hear from my (new) gaining unit? Any priors that were drilling as enlisted when they got selected have gouge on this?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I'm prior, and already attached to a NOSC, but in a non-intel unit. I'd imagine I'll just get scooped up by the Intel unit there.
If I were you I would drill as an officer at a new NOSC, get away from your current NOSC because you've been serving there as Enlisted. You need the separation for a little while.

If I'm already in the Reserves, should I be rescheduling and pushing my drills back until I hear from my (new) gaining unit? Any priors that were drilling as enlisted when they got selected have gouge on this?
Your drill schedule will be changed to match that of your new unit.

CESUSN

Hello all, I'd greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts on my application package for the upcoming DCO 1835 INTEL board. I posted this in a thread on competitiveness, so please forgive me if that's not allowed.

I'd like to preface that I'm familiar with the stereotype of D.C./Hill types applying to this program. Despite my on-paper characteristics, I don't think they apply to me. I wrote a lot of my motivational statement about my paternal grandfather who was a Chief during WWII. He was offered the chance to go to OCS, but declined in order to start our family. I grew up with my father teaching me about his stories through Victory at Sea and taking me to the Intrepid in NYC at least once a year. My other grandfather was also a WWII vet (Army) who I was very close to and who inspired a lot of my ideas about public service. I'd be the first officer in my family's history.

Military:
No prior experience.

Work history:
Three years U.S. Senate as what you might call a congressional investigator; often work directly with office's National Security Adviser
Prior experience working for large city council, state assembly, and local government

Education:
B.S. Cornell University, Industrial and Labor Relations (basically Political Science), minor History, GPA 3.4
M.A. (in progress) U.S. Naval War College, Defense and Strategic Studies, current GPA 3.7 (I've finished TSDM and JMO)

LOR:
Active O-6 SWO, Director of Navy Senate Liaison
Reserve O-6 Aviator, Director of Legislative Affairs for Chief of Navy Reserve
Retired O-5 SWO, War College JMO Prof.
Senator/Boss (who is in leadership)

Community Involvement/Leadership:
Lots of leadership related to work and getting offices to work together given my boss' position. I also volunteer at the Philly Seaport museum when I can, play on an office sports team, and am a member of my college's clubs in D.C. and NYC.

MEPS:
Cleared in May 2019.

Interviews:
O-5 1835 INTEL has offered to help me get two more interviewers in the community.

CESUSN

@MJR1923 why don't you just apply for Active Duty? Only have to do 4 years.

In the past two weeks, I've actually begun to give that considerably more serious thought. The answer usually is that there are enough reservists on the Hill that I know it's possible to do both jobs well. Service is important to me and picking between the two forms of it is not an easy choice when the option exists to do both.

That said, I've been very frustrated recently and, you're right, four years isn't that long and I can stay in the reserves afterwards. The counterpoint is that four years is a while to be away from the career that I've built so far.