• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-20 active O-5 results

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Makes sense when the squadrons have a gazillion O4s.

azguy

None
18+ month CO tours for SWO. Allows for fewer COs to be screened but more time in command.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
Does anyone happen to know what criteria is considered for meritoriously being moved to the top of the promotion list?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Interestingly (to me), my record meets most of the wickets for pre-CDR merit (Great breakouts in OP tours, Test, M.S.), but per PERS, I have an "uphill battle" on the ACSB.

I'm not complaining, because I understand why (3 years of NOB and no shore competitive EP). It's just interesting.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Frankly, I’d tell you that test and a graduate degree are a wash. Based on a bunch of folks in my community who made O5, “uphill battle” seems a bit pessimistic.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Interestingly (to me), my record meets most of the wickets for pre-CDR merit (Great breakouts in OP tours, Test, M.S.), but per PERS, I have an "uphill battle" on the ACSB.

I'm not complaining, because I understand why (3 years of NOB and no shore competitive EP). It's just interesting.

Are you in your DH tour or after?

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
We asked the question about what criteria were being used to define “merit.” Apparently they were addressed in community briefs to the board.
Have you read this thread from the beginning?

Yes. Genuinely curious as to what was in the community briefs to the board. I'm interested in the calculus that leads a guy to get meritoriously selected for O5 but not make command.

kejo

pilot
Yes. Genuinely curious as to what was in the community briefs to the board. I'm interested in the calculus that leads a guy to get meritoriously selected for O5 but not make command.
Well there’s luck, timing, and talent. In that order.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There have been cases where people have screened for command, then not picked up O5. Different boards have different personalities and value slightly different things. Stat board might place very little value on things like CDO/UW and JPME, where ACSB makes those de facto requirements. Also depends on how well your record is briefed in both cases.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I can imagine @Brett327 O-6 board will look like this:

Briefer: “This is brett. (Insert quals). He looks like James Carville and wears top 3 ribbons with a v-neck with his service khakis.”

Board: SELECT NOW WITH MERIT!!!