• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-20 active O-5 results

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I mean, there's a picture of him wearing one so obviously I'm wrong. I remember the squadron being mad because he didn't receive one specific award, I thought his DFC got downgraded but maybe the other award (whatever it may be) got downgraded to a DFC.
We were both in the room for the award. Frankly, I don't remember either.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Perhaps a Silver Star got downgraded to the DFC?

I seem to recall a Skipper standing up at the flag panel at Hook last year and asking the Air Boss why a bunch of awards had gotten disapproved. Was that 87’s skipper?
It was. I think the Silver Star downgrade is accurate. He was also talking about a bunch of individual action air medals that had to be resubmitted to 5th Fleet after our CSG was not allowed to approve them (or something close to that).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I suspect that one factor in the high AZ rate is due to screen group pull up for folks that hadn’t received a HW fitrep prior to their IZ look.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
It was. I think the Silver Star downgrade is accurate. He was also talking about a bunch of individual action air medals that had to be resubmitted to 5th Fleet after our CSG was not allowed to approve them (or something close to that).

He was awarded a DFC.

azguy

None
what did four SWOs do to warrant BZ promotion?

Pure guess... Super successful Early Command tour with great paper at a follow-on prestigious shore tour.

This is a thing now since the board can't see who is AZ/IZ/BZ. In last year's LCDR board, 3% of the selects were BZ.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Pure guess... Super successful Early Command tour with great paper at a follow-on prestigious shore tour.

This is a thing now since the board can't see who is AZ/IZ/BZ. In last year's LCDR board, 3% of the selects were BZ.

The #2 URL guy selected is a SWO and is CNO’s speechwriter. No early command I believe but I can imagine his stellar DH record and current job might have added some weight...

azguy

None
The #2 URL guy selected is a SWO and is CNO’s speechwriter. No early command I believe but I can imagine his stellar DH record and current job might have added some weight...

Just did some LinkedIn stalking and the #2 guy on the CDR board is a JSOC EOD officer, Oxford Grad, and White House Fellow. #1 looks like a Joint Staff/TOPGUN/Harvard guy. Looks like the system works. Been talking about this at work recently (merit ranking) -- pretty sure it takes more than a "fleet EP" to make that top 15% cut.

@SlickAg WRT posts about the guy that scored the Su-22 kill. I think that specific communities values don't matter so much in the admin boards. To wit, every single 1130 on the board likely has many more kills than the aviator in question.

White House Fellow, Harvard, Oxford, Joint Staff, JSOC... these are bullets that are very well understood and valued by all URL board members.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I think @SlickAg was using the DFC in the much broader context that the Fitter kill earned a ton of recognition including CNAF Pilot of the Year, a glass brick at the TOPGUN facility, and about a million other awards. To be fair, the main reason I forgot what award he got was because most of us heard his name about a million times before he received the DFC almost 15 months after the event. He achieved the highest level of celebrity a Navy pilot can achieve (in a good way).

azguy

None
I think @SlickAg was using the DFC in the much broader context that the Fitter kill earned a ton of recognition including CNAF Pilot of the Year, a glass brick at the TOPGUN facility, and about a million other awards. To be fair, the main reason I forgot what award he got was because most of us heard his name about a million times before he received the DFC almost 15 months after the event. He achieved the highest level of celebrity a Navy pilot can achieve (in a good way).

Yup. Again, point is that even someone that achieves "the highest level of celebrity a Navy pilot can" (in your opinion) is still being ranked by SWOs, Submariners, SEALs, EOD, and every flavor of aviator. I'm a SWO, I know very little about air-to-air combat (and I think that air-air combat is cool), but I don't think that the talent required of a Super Hornet pilot to shoot down a 70's era jet flown by a Syrian is impressive. Sorry.