• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-20 active O-5 results

SlickAg

pilot
Like I said, those doing the community briefing (I.E. your CDREs) are the ones that state what the community values. Those CDREs should be discussing criteria with their community COs for mass dissemination. This is the first year of the program. It's going to take a bit for word to get properly passed. If you're curious, why don't you ask your leadership?
Since the merit program is only for the active duty Navy, I don’t think my leadership is going to get briefed on it. Hence why I’ve turned to the World Wide Web in search of answers. I’m sure you’ll do all of us on the outside a solid and let us know what VAQ said they desired? The one VAQ * I know is a great guy.

But I’ll be honest, it seems strange that despite all of the “Fly Fight Win” mottos that leadership loves to throw out, tangible success at the F part of the VFA mission doesn’t even get a dude an early pin-on date. Maybe if he’d gotten an MSM with V instead? I mean it says “Merit” right there in the name of the medal...

Last edited:

BarryD

Contributor
But I’ll be honest, it seems strange that despite all of the “Fly Fight Win” mottos that leadership loves to throw out, tangible success at the F part of the VFA mission doesn’t even get a dude an early pin-on date. Maybe if he’d gotten an MSM with V instead? I mean it says “Merit” right there in the name of the medal.
The guy still selected for O5 and command though, so the argument is about whether the "*" will affect him when it comes to O6 + AMCSB?
(Trying to understand)

I guess time will tell?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some people are reading way too much into this... and some people just want to complain.

SlickAg

pilot
The guy still selected for O5 and command though, so the argument is about whether the "*" will affect him when it comes to O6 + AMCSB?
(Trying to understand)

I guess time will tell?
The guy was selected for command, and subsequently O-5 (which is basically a given), but not for early promotion to O-5.

My essential question is what defines merit. Apparently each community got to brief it at the board. DFCs don’t rate these days apparently.

As for follow-on implications, officially there isn’t supposed to be any but the Navy has now found a new way to make some pigs more equal than the others in a way that isn’t necessarily tied to the FITREP system, nor publicly releasable, nor a matter of record. I know everyone means well, but I just can’t help but think that somewhere down the road this will cause an issue.

SlickAg

pilot
I’m not sure why you decided to take a perfectly civil discussion and go off the deep end. Have fun with that. I’m not wasting my time with you.
I asked you for a favor, you said no thanks (which I fully expected), and I then offered my own two word response indicating my lack of surprise at your rejection of my favor en français. What’s uncivil about that?

Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I see a Type Wing Officer of the Year awarded, CMD-screened dude who didn't get the * ... Curious.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I’m pretty sure that if a note about ‘merit’ appears on any fitrep beyond this very next one, the reporting senior is writing fitreps incorrectly.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Sounds like some very worthy recipients.

My point is that these recipients were identified AFTER the ACSB and slate came out. I would be shocked if the DCAGs aren't comparing the *'s on the list next to their next slate of incoming PXOs.

I agree that it's a good deal. I also think it's something that CO's should be briefed on in order to increase the chances of making one of their O-4s competitive to get a *. How did the board decide which O-4 1310/1320s got it? Longest ticket punch? MSM instead of a NCM for an EOT? Because if a DFC resulting from an air to air kill doesn't meet the board's definition of merit, I'd be fascinated to know what does. And I think it should be well and universally known what it takes to get promoted, and paid, earlier than your peers. A level playing field, if you will. Instead of, heaven forbid, circumstances of timing and/or luck.

Sidenote for those who've read this far: looks like several folks made it on their second look this year. Is the fleet running out of Mini Bosses, Air Ops O's, and Strike O's?
FWIW, MOB only got an Air Medal.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I mean, there's a picture of him wearing one so obviously I'm wrong. I remember the squadron being mad because he didn't receive one specific award, I thought his DFC got downgraded but maybe the other award (whatever it may be) got downgraded to a DFC.

SlickAg

pilot
I mean, there's a picture of him wearing one so obviously I'm wrong. I remember the squadron being mad because he didn't receive one specific award, I thought his DFC got downgraded but maybe the other award (whatever it may be) got downgraded to a DFC.
Perhaps a Silver Star got downgraded to the DFC?

I seem to recall a Skipper standing up at the flag panel at Hook last year and asking the Air Boss why a bunch of awards had gotten disapproved. Was that 87’s skipper?