• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Makes zero sense
Dude, let me break it down to you Barney style.

You have a bachelor's degree in "history" with a dog sh*t GPA, and are getting ready to complete a master's degree in "communications" - one that you've been working on for 4 years - with a high GPA. And, aside from your active duty Navy time, have about 4 years of entry-level IT work experience (those two jobs you had in undergrad are not helping).

You can split hairs all day long about how you "got screwed", but there is no way in hell that you will get selected for either IP or Intel with your current background. Your chances are below zero, especially if you do not receive a favorable endorsement by the NIFR OIC.

My best advice to you if you want to be an Intel or other Reserve officer, is to enlist in the Navy Reserve into the rate that closely aligns with the type of officer you want to be (e.g., IT/IP, IS/Intel, CT/CW, etc.), get a couple of years under your belt, obtain certifications and experience relevant to the designator for which you are applying, and re-apply.

Igloojam

pilot
For every one of those USAF dudes, there's probably 10 more either having a PhD or pursuing one with similar experience. The board is that competitive.

Totally tracking. Again no ones arguing it’s competitive. I just don’t see why the kid couldn’t have gone to board. Average the 2 gpas. I believe in second chances and having been to grad school, making 3.5+ In grad school should absolutely be waiving of any undergraduate performance.

exNavyOffRec

Totally tracking. Again no ones arguing it’s competitive. I just don’t see why the kid couldn’t have gone to board. Average the 2 gpas. I believe in second chances and having been to grad school, making 3.5+ In grad school should absolutely be waiving of any undergraduate performance.

because the new PA specifies an UG GPA minimum, that isn't something I have seen before in a PA

USNAVY

You have a bachelor's degree in "history" with a dog sh*t GPA, and are getting ready to complete a master's degree in "communications" - one that you've been working on for 4 years - with a high GPA. And, aside from your active duty Navy time, have about 4 years of entry-level IT work experience (those two jobs you had in undergrad are not helping).

You can split hairs all day long about how you "got screwed", but there is no way in hell that you will get selected for either IP or Intel with your current background. Your chances are below zero, especially if you do not receive a favorable endorsement by the NIFR OIC.

My best advice to you if you want to be an Intel or other Reserve officer, is to enlist in the Navy Reserve into the rate that closely aligns with the type of officer you want to be (e.g., IT/IP, IS/Intel, CT/CW, etc.), get a couple of years under your belt, obtain certifications and experience relevant to the designator for which you are applying, and re-apply.

Thank you for the advice. My #1 goal and focus right now is finishing this degree strong with best the GPA possible. Upon completion, I am going to consider my options, IE. joining the enlisted reserves, applying again for the DCO program or even applying to become an Active Officer in the IWC. Becoming an Naval Officer is a personal goal I have set for myself. Regardless of the dog ** GPA in my BA, i have been working very hard to achieve my goals and have achieved just about all them, and it shows. It was acknowledged during my OIC interviews(s). If it wasn't for the DCO program I would have never started this degree. No need to break anything down. I get it.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

+1, kind of. According to the IP PA he needs an IT-related Masters Degree (IT Management, CS, Computer Engineering, etc.) to supersede the undergrad GPA. From what I've read, a Masters in Communications won't suffice. CW and Intel have the same UG GPA of 2.8 with nothing mentioned of a Master's degree superseding. So if anything, unless he pursues an IT-related Masters he's SOL.

USNAVY

+1, kind of. According to the IP PA he needs an IT-related Masters Degree (IT Management, CS, Computer Engineering, etc.) to supersede the undergrad GPA. From what I've read, a Masters in Communications won't suffice. CW and Intel have the same UG GPA of 2.8 with nothing mentioned of a Master's degree superseding. So if anything, unless he pursues an IT-related Masters he's SOL.

In speaking for all of the designators, if a candidate has a Masters or Phd that meets the minimum GPA it would logically makes sense for them to accept the higher degree/GPA. Can you ask your counterparts?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Like I said, IP ain't gonna happen.

Or he can do what I did, get commissioned by whatever means necessary and then do a change of designator after he is in. It's what I did as I was not qualified (for DCO purposes) for IP when I applied. So, I went in as Intel and after I completed my qualifications, I submitted a change of designator package.

bryanteagle6

Thank you for the advice. My #1 goal and focus right now is finishing this degree strong with best the GPA possible. Upon completion, I am going to consider my options, IE. joining the enlisted reserves, applying again for the DCO program or even applying to become an Active Officer in the IWC. Becoming an Naval Officer is a personal goal I have set for myself. Regardless of the dog ** GPA in my BA, i have been working very hard to achieve my goals and have achieved just about all them, and it shows. It was acknowledged during my OIC interviews(s). If it wasn't for the DCO program I would have never started this degree. No need to break anything down. I get it.

Ive been around this process about 7 yrs. This is my 3rd board - i have pretty much experienced every possible scenario you can think of in this process. I have been upset, excited, motivated, discouraged, downtrodden, inspired, unqualified, and recreated. Do exactly what you said above but focus on what you want, who you are, and what you can control. If you put together the best possible package you can - do everything you can to improve it each cycle - and stay true to the reasons your doing it --- then you have done all you can do! Feel good about it.

The only thing that gets me - is the boards have been increasing in competitiveness every board so much, a candidate really has to up their game in between each board!

good luck to those who have improved and wish to serve!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The only thing that gets me - is the boards have been increasing in competitiveness every board so much, a candidate really has to up their game in between each board!
The competitiveness has gotten plain stupid to the point where they are literally splitting hairs.

Some folks would have better luck getting commissioned in another service, and then doing an inter-service transfer. I helped buddy of mine go from Navy to Air Force. Was a fairly easy process.

Last edited:

FormerSquidCop

The competitiveness has gotten plain stupid to the point where they are literally splitting hairs.
Some folks would have better luck getting commissioned in another service, and then doing an inter-service transfer. I helped buddy of mine go from Navy to Air Force. Was pretty easy.

Makes sense, but navy DCOIC seems like the best deal out there if you can get it.