• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
@devilbones The above is from Rufio a recruiting expert on this forum by what I can tell. He’s been a huge help to many applicants. If he says it could’ve happened then I trust that. So again.. USNAVY here did not get a fair shake. I had a DD175 saying I shouldn’t be an officer any branch after I was disenrolled from AFROTC, but somehow next week I’ll be selecting what aircraft I’ll fly for the next 8 years in the Navy. Exceptions can be made and it would be especially unwise if the Navy would turn away an applicant for a low gpa, especially if they have an exceptional graduate performance. Imagine a dude had a 2.3 undergrad gpa in math, enlisted 6 years as a crypto in Air Force, was fluent Russian, and currently getting in PhD physical oceanography(yes he exists). You really think he would get turned away for having a 2.3 undergrad? The above is a hypothetical because said individual isn’t interested in the Navy but if he was, I think the Navy would benefit.
I would not be surprised, its the military and it doesnt always make sense. I merely quoted the PA which is above. It would seem a poor choice of words in the PA if the cumulative GPA can be used, why even put 'undergraduate' in the criteria? It seems pretty black in white, but you are correct, there are always exceptions.

FormerSquidCop

These past few pages have reinforced just how much of a long shot this is for all of us. On the other hand it is nice to hear how well qualified our DCOs must be.

Many of my friends and family think I'm a shoe-in, and I just can't communicate that a degree and a pulse isn't quite enough here.

USNAVY

These past few pages have reinforced just how much of a long shot this is for all of us. On the other hand it is nice to hear how well qualified our DCOs must be.

Many of my friends and family think I'm a shoe-in, and I just can't communicate that a degree and a pulse isn't quite enough here.
Which is why I am just saying what happened. Don't mean to sound like I am complaining on this thread. It just sucks that I am about to graduate with my Masters (which I never thought I would achieve) and I am "ineligible" for the board

USNAVY

I don't remember PA's in the past specifying "undergrad GPA" just "cumulative GPA", maybe they decided to make a change and now specify that UG GPA has to have a minimum no matter what.

This board would be the first with that requirement I do believe so without reading it I also naturally assumed based on the past that if you get a Master's then that would make you eligible, however looking at the new PA it appears that is no longer the case.

I am sure it may take NRC looking at that and correcting it if it needs to be or confirming with the PM that it is indeed as it reads, the PM would be the one that would reject the application.
The email that was forwarded to me said I am eligible for next years board upon completion of my masters degree

USNAVY

@devilbones The above is from Rufio a recruiting expert on this forum by what I can tell. He’s been a huge help to many applicants. If he says it could’ve happened then I trust that. So again.. USNAVY here did not get a fair shake. I had a DD175 saying I shouldn’t be an officer any branch after I was disenrolled from AFROTC, but somehow next week I’ll be selecting what aircraft I’ll fly for the next 8 years in the Navy. Exceptions can be made and it would be especially unwise if the Navy would turn away an applicant for a low gpa, especially if they have an exceptional graduate performance. Imagine a dude had a 2.3 undergrad gpa in math, enlisted 6 years as a crypto in Air Force, was fluent Russian, and currently getting in PhD physical oceanography(yes he exists). You really think he would get turned away for having a 2.3 undergrad? The above is a hypothetical because said individual isn’t interested in the Navy but if he was, I think the Navy would benefit.
^ My point exactly

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The email that was forwarded to me said I am eligible for next years board upon completion of my masters degree

I would take that email with a grain of salt. I just checked the PA, it explicably states an UNDERGRAD cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher. Even if you get a Master's degree, you are still ineligible due to the low GPA.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

For every one of those USAF dudes, there's probably 10 more either having a PhD or pursuing one with similar experience. The board is that competitive.

exNavyOffRec

emails don't matter at all, the only thing that matters is what the PA states, the PA is taken at face value, so if they didn't not intend for it to make people ineligible that had a GPA less than 2.8 on the UG then they will need to change it. If not than that is what in the civilian world of recruiting we call a "knock-out" question.

USNAVY

emails don't matter at all, the only thing that matters is what the PA states, the PA is taken at face value, so if they didn't not intend for it to make people ineligible that had a GPA less than 2.8 on the UG then they will need to change it. If not than that is what in the civilian world of recruiting we call a "knock-out" question.
The email was forwarded from the PM. It said something like this:
"As he has not completed his current graduate studies with a conferred degree with a qualifying GPA, his BA GPA of 2.56 must be used for determining eligibility"

USNAVY

I would take that email with a grain of salt. I just checked the PA, it explicably states an UNDERGRAD cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher. Even if you get a Master's degree, you are still ineligible due to the low GPA.
That would mean good candidates would be turned away after completing an MS or Phd and then told no sorry, your BA/BS isn't a 2.8. Makes zero sense. But what do I know

exNavyOffRec

The email was forwarded from the PM. It said something like this:
"As he has not completed his current graduate studies with a conferred degree with a qualifying GPA, his BA GPA of 2.56 must be used for determining eligibility"

yeah, that doesn't matter. can't tell you how many times I had an email from N3M, a PM, or the director of accessions saying "once we get X then jane doe will be (ready for board/medically cleared/receive a FS letter) only to get a follow up notification saying "oops, actually......."

USNAVY

yeah, that doesn't matter. can't tell you how many times I had an email from N3M, a PM, or the director of accessions saying "once we get X then jane doe will be (ready for board/medically cleared/receive a FS letter) only to get a follow up notification saying "oops, actually......."
This is what it says in the IP Program Authorization
upload_2018-1-21_23-23-6.png

jagM3

USNAVY,

First, c'mon man.

Second, incessantly taking personal offense to you not being qualified, repeatedly saying you got screwed, exhibiting a high degree of disgruntlement, and a general inability to accept the reality of your situation are not qualities the Navy wants in it's officer corps, nor are they qualities that would ever be desirable for it's enlisted corps either. Do you think if your true name we're attached to your comments on here and the OIC who interviewed you saw your comments on here, he would still have a favorable opinion of you and still "highly recommend" you? It's embarassing man.

I have seen many people on here who are not competitive for the DCO program, but I nonetheless still wish them the best and would be happy for them if they were selected. I may have never met you, but your posts on this forum have provided me with enough insight into your character, that I can honestly say as an officer in the world's greatest Navy, I would never want to serve on a ship with you. People like you who are disgruntled, make excuses, and blame everyone else but themselves and refuse to accept responsibility are people that often become problems for commands across the Navy. I do genuinely wish you luck with the remainder of your Masters program and in your civilian career, but I don't want you as a fellow officer in my Navy.

Good luck.