• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy 11 sta 21 applicants

EM1(SW/AW) Hab

I wasnt selected for the SWO/ED Option but I applied and got picked up for core. I'm a 25yr old, 7yr MR1, i honestly thought i was a shoe in for the ED program (in a rate where production management is my job, had an EOOW letter from an FFG when I was an E-5, Gas Free Engineer blah blah blah) and when results came out i got picked up first time for CORE. Another MR1 got selected for ED and i heard through the grapevine that you increase your chances if you shadow an ED and have him write you a letter for your package. i was told the reason i didnt get picked up for ED was probably because of my age and i had less than a year left for my BS degree. Where are you stationed at? I know a few ED's in some places, any shore command that has a Repair Officer or even a PMA, chances are high that they are an ED.

Thats great info, thanks man. I am at the floating drydock(DYNAMIC) at JEB Little Creek, VA. My old OPS I just found out, just did a conversion recently to ED but he is still a LTJG. I am in the process of scouting out some people for the board and a mentor. My CO is all about helping me, which that is something I have not been able to have in the past (small commands at fast past). The only reason I applied for CEC in the past was age. I am 29 now.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
Thats great info, thanks man. I am at the floating drydock(DYNAMIC) at JEB Little Creek, VA. My old OPS I just found out, just did a conversion recently to ED but he is still a LTJG. I am in the process of scouting out some people for the board and a mentor. My CO is all about helping me, which that is something I have not been able to have in the past (small commands at fast past). The only reason I applied for CEC in the past was age. I am 29 now.

Almost every Maintenance activity has an ED especially in VA. My ED here was a Sub Qual ED but he told me no matter what he competes with other ED's surface or non-surface. its not like when you are unrestricted and you compete with your own community (SWO, SPEC OPS, Etc). He helped me out and told me what it was like ot be an ED. I thought about CEC but when i went to talk to the CE at the SEABEE Det he threw a bunch of contratcs in front of me and said this is what he did all day everyday, not much excitement. I'm going for SWO when it comes to my service selection so hopefully i wont have any problem.

oceanwaiting

FY-11 Core
It is too early to apply for colleges. Worry about the strength of your package first, then once you are satisfied, start applying in the spring/summer. The semester you will need to be applying for, Summer/Fall 2011, is most likely not even open for application yet. You should "look into" colleges and decide where you think you want to go; then figure out when the application cycle begins for the semester you will need to apply for. If you are worried about adding a college acceptance letter to your package, DON'T. It really doesn't matter. I mean, it won't hurt, but it is not required and will have no weight in your selection.

second what rob said, also do the homework on when the school of your choice give out admission decisions. I was an alternate for FY-10, and am still waiting on UCSD to hand out admission decisions. They aren't going to be on my list of schools for FY-11 because if I get picked up and say have to go to Feb NSI, they won't be in time, unless of course I can somehow defer admission for a year. I had a conversation with Ed Straten, he pretty much said stay away from schools that will not fast track for military, or it may jeopardize your STA-21 chances, there are plenty of alternates to step up and take your spot if you can't hand in paperwork in time.

oceanwaiting

FY-11 Core
I have a question for the group regarding putting a disclaimer in the personal statement to account for some poor grades. To be frank, I have 3 F's on my SMART transcript from back when I was younger and more immature. I don't have an excuse, I was just being an idiot. Since then, I've earned an AA degree from the Defense Language Institute in Arabic with a 3.3 GPA. I also have a history of stellar evals. My command admin officer that has been working with me says that in his opinion, it is unnecessary to address the issue because my degree in a very challenging 1.5 year program speaks for itself, and not to worry about the older grades too much because it's very common fault. He also says that I have a very strong personal statement. I'm concerned that if I include it, it will detract from the strength of the letter significantly, and it will also cut great content due to space limitations. Do you guys agree that I shouldn't bring it up, or do you think I should try to explain it? Thanks,

CTI1

CTI1, it's good to state in your personal statement that you've improved/matured etc, just remember you are only allowed one page, and included in that the title and four lines for your signature, just make sure it fits

Stazz

Which is better to submit with my package, or should I submit both?
ACT
English 22
Math 24

SAT
Reading 600
Math 560

Also, I am currently a full-time student at the college I want to go to for STA-21, just at a different campus. Does this have any benefit for selection?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Which is better to submit with my package, or should I submit both?
ACT
English 22
Math 24

SAT
Reading 600
Math 560

Also, I am currently a full-time student at the college I want to go to for STA-21, just at a different campus. Does this have any benefit for selection?

I don't know much about the SAT, I've only taken the ACT. Your ACT scores are identical to mine and I got selected. I don't think they select individuals based on ACT/SAT scores, I would assume meeting the minimum scores are more of a check in the box to selection. Both of your scores meet the minimum so I would suggest now focusing on compiling the rest of your package.

Also, even though you are already attending the college you would attend if selected, this has no impact on your chances of selection. The only benefits would be one less thing to worry about if selected (acceptance letter) and perhaps not worrying about credits transferring from school to school.

Stazz

My command just changed ESO's and we have a change of command this month. My command is pushing for me to do my interview boards within a week or so. My package is ready, so any advice for the interviews?

EM1(SW/AW) Hab

My command just changed ESO's and we have a change of command this month. My command is pushing for me to do my interview boards within a week or so. My package is ready, so any advice for the interviews?

So far every interview I have went to has been roughly the same: Questions about the program (know what happens when you are selected and where you will go ect...), Why you want to be an officer, Questions relative to your package (strengths and weaknesses), Situational questions (like what would you do if .....), and personal questions (what makes you...you!).
Also, a lot of people forget simple military bearing during a board/interview. Don't speak with your hands, say yes sir/maam, nice uniform, ect....
Good luck!

oceanwaiting

FY-11 Core
So far every interview I have went to has been roughly the same: Questions about the program (know what happens when you are selected and where you will go ect...), Why you want to be an officer, Questions relative to your package (strengths and weaknesses), Situational questions (like what would you do if .....), and personal questions (what makes you...you!).
Also, a lot of people forget simple military bearing during a board/interview. Don't speak with your hands, say yes sir/maam, nice uniform, ect....
Good luck!

agree w/ EM1, expect especially to be grilled on weakness, i got grilled on being 18 of 72 as an E-5 on one of my evals, and not having very good PRT results, think about your weaknesses and have convincing answers on how to improve (or better yet already improving) them. Also your dress whites better be immaculate, just remember you are being graded on every thing, breathe and speak.

chrisgamez

My name is DC2 Christopher Gamez and I just read all of the posts on here and I do have to say that there is a load of useful information on here. Thank you to all who have posted on here all of your past experiences with STA-21. Like most new members to this site I will have a few questions, so please help me. I am planning to apply for FY-11 and the one thing that is stopping me is that I have an NJP that will hit its three year mark in AUG 2010 but the application deadline is 1 JULY 2010. Can I get a waiver for the NJP requirement or is there any info that can be passed to me please? Thank You.

Stazz

Talk to your ESO. They will be able to provide the best answer. I would still submit a package. The worst is that it disqualifies you for this FY. Most likely they won't get to your package before August, so you might just make it. You might want to include what you have learned from your NJP and how you've changed in your personal statement.

chrisgamez

Talk to your ESO. They will be able to provide the best answer. I would still submit a package. The worst is that it disqualifies you for this FY. Most likely they won't get to your package before August, so you might just make it. You might want to include what you have learned from your NJP and how you've changed in your personal statement.

Stazz- Thank you so much. I appreciate the advise I will go ahead and continue with the package. Do you know what would be the best way to prep for the ACT? The Navy College is offering the exam in April and that would be the only time to take it where I would recieve the results in time for the deadline. I have an Associates Degree from Coastline, but is has been a while since I have review such an exam.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
Stazz- Thank you so much. I appreciate the advise I will go ahead and continue with the package. Do you know what would be the best way to prep for the ACT? The Navy College is offering the exam in April and that would be the only time to take it where I would recieve the results in time for the deadline. I have an Associates Degree from Coastline, but is has been a while since I have review such an exam.

DC'man,
If you read the instruction it says that your package needs to be postmarked NLT 1 JUL of application year. It also says if you have any forms thereafter, you can fax them to STA-21 board NLT 1 AUG of application year. Talk to your DCA or CHENG and ask them if there is a loophole you can be thrown through to see if you can send a waiver or Letter of Recommendation from your CO stating your great performance in perforimg A-1R checks on SCBA's or how good of a job you are doing on Daily's for AFFF lineup. That would be my best suggestion if your CO mast is cleared in August. Any other questions let me know
-MR1

boobcheese

I am planning to apply for FY-11 and the one thing that is stopping me is that I have an NJP that will hit its three year mark in AUG 2010 but the application deadline is 1 JULY 2010. Can I get a waiver for the NJP requirement or is there any info that can be passed to me please? Thank You.

STA-21 Website said:
Have no record of disciplinary action under Article 15, Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).... during the three (3) years preceding 01 July of application year.

The STA-21 website answers your question pretty explicitly. If you decide to apply anyway, I would be willing to bet that your package will be filtered out before it even goes before the board and any requests for a waiver will fall on deaf ears. They receive hundreds of stellar packages from fully qualified applicants and there is no need to review applications from those who don't even meet the minimum standards.

That being said, apply anyway. The worst they can say is no and the experience of putting you package together will pay dividends for the next FY when your record is "clean".