• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future OCS Board Dates

exNavyOffRec

The new board schedule was released today, now anyone that has been in the USN knows that it takes weeks for an instruction to get routed for signature, in the meantime things changed and emails were sent out that trump this board schedule.

In addition most of the upcoming dates say "to fill any remaining FY13 quotas and part of FY14", well most designators are officially closed for FY13, the few that aren't are waiting on the July people to get their stuff in. There are also no goals yet for FY14, so with no spots for FY13 and no quotas for FY14 you really can't have a board, the recruiters and processors need to read the emails from the OCS accessions officers.

SmashBash

I was under the impression that Pilot/NFO normally had a Jan and April board, and the July board is added if needed. Also, I am a fleet applicant. I have been in the navy for about 16 months, and had my degree prior to enlisting (mostly due to my Officer recruiter lying to me about a number of things and I simply did not know any better). I am trying to figure out how competitive my application is and how to improve it (I don't even have an evaluation because my A and C schools for IT were so long). I am trying to do everything I can to get picked up for Pilot/NFO as soon as possible.

Snappers

FS SNA - OCS 02 Dec 2012
I was under the impression that Pilot/NFO normally had a Jan and April board, and the July board is added if needed. Also, I am a fleet applicant. I have been in the navy for about 16 months, and had my degree prior to enlisting (mostly due to my Officer recruiter lying to me about a number of things and I simply did not know any better). I am trying to figure out how competitive my application is and how to improve it (I don't even have an evaluation because my A and C schools for IT were so long). I am trying to do everything I can to get picked up for Pilot/NFO as soon as possible.
Your CCC should be your point of contact for all of your OCS questions but when he does not know what is going on refer to this checklist I am attaching. Under the notes you will see that not all applicants will have evals going back three years due to time in service, so you should be good to go. Having just finished an OCS package without help from my CCC I will tell you study long and hard for your ASTB and really blow it out of the water. I don’t know what your GPA is but you can’t change that now so really work on the ASTB and best of luck.

(I am unsure of the next board date, NavyOffRec is the man with all the answers there)

Attachments

• OCS checklist.pdf
    112.7 KB · Views: 38

SmashBash

I already took the ASTB, got a 46 both attempts, with a 5,5,5. I had put the package together a while ago and couldn't submit due to changing commands. GPA was a 3.3. I have interviews from O3, O4 and O5, and LORs from an O3, an O4, two O5s and an O6 all part of the aviation community, and all three interviewers are flight school instructors and and three of the LORs are flight instructors. I put the entire thing together on my own, and at this point I am just trying to beef it up as much as possible. But thank you so much for your input.

exNavyOffRec

I already took the ASTB, got a 46 both attempts, with a 5,5,5. I had put the package together a while ago and couldn't submit due to changing commands. GPA was a 3.3. I have interviews from O3, O4 and O5, and LORs from an O3, an O4, two O5s and an O6 all part of the aviation community, and all three interviewers are flight school instructors and and three of the LORs are flight instructors. I put the entire thing together on my own, and at this point I am just trying to beef it up as much as possible. But thank you so much for your input.

The original plan for boards was that there would be 6 or 7 per year for Pilot/NFO/SWO, but that hasn't worked yet, so far there is back and forth on any board in December, and depending on who you talk to at NRC you get a different answer, they may not have a good answer until November sometime.

You need to retake the ASTB and get your scores up before submitting.

What did the OR tell you? I find this info entertaining and some people here may find it useful when dealing with their OR.

SmashBash

OCS recommended me stay away from retaking the ASTB, because that was my fault also. They said since I qualify to leave it and try to strengthen other areas of my package, instead of a retake and not qualifying.

My OR had given me about three weeks to get everything together for my package because there was an upcoming board for supply. This was not easy because I had been to three different colleges and getting the transcripts in a timely manner wasn't very easy, especially since I was no where near any of the colleges I had previously attended.

I had emailed him everything, and apparently he was on leave. I called and emailed multiple times asking if there was anything else that I needed to get, and if everything looked alright. Three weeks later the enlisted recruiter, which was much closer to where I was living at the time called up to MEPS for me and the OR basically said that the board never happened. Turns out, the board did happen, I called OCS and asked a few months ago, obviously it is a sore subject. Anyways, he told me that there probably wasn't going to be another board for the year (this was in January of 2011), and that I would be better off going enlisted because that was most likely my best option to become an officer as quickly as possible. I was interested in aviation, but he kindly told me that I didn't have a shot in hell, and supply would probably be best. ugh.

SmashBash

Oh and I just received the board schedule for OCS. Looks like December, and the cutoff is November 5th. Let the fun begin.

exNavyOffRec

OCS recommended me stay away from retaking the ASTB, because that was my fault also. They said since I qualify to leave it and try to strengthen other areas of my package, instead of a retake and not qualifying.

My OR had given me about three weeks to get everything together for my package because there was an upcoming board for supply. This was not easy because I had been to three different colleges and getting the transcripts in a timely manner wasn't very easy, especially since I was no where near any of the colleges I had previously attended.

I had emailed him everything, and apparently he was on leave. I called and emailed multiple times asking if there was anything else that I needed to get, and if everything looked alright. Three weeks later the enlisted recruiter, which was much closer to where I was living at the time called up to MEPS for me and the OR basically said that the board never happened. Turns out, the board did happen, I called OCS and asked a few months ago, obviously it is a sore subject. Anyways, he told me that there probably wasn't going to be another board for the year (this was in January of 2011), and that I would be better off going enlisted because that was most likely my best option to become an officer as quickly as possible. I was interested in aviation, but he kindly told me that I didn't have a shot in hell, and supply would probably be best. ugh.

The guys that said avoid retaking the ASTB are probably the same guys that said buy facebook stock, it will go up right away and never go down.

Your ASTB is the minimum, I have NEVER personally seen anyone picked up with scores of 5 or 6, that is for non prior, prior, and active. There have been a handful picked up with 6's that are on this board, but I don't recall a single person on here picked up with 5 and if you retake it soon enough you might get it done before the new one comes out, that will reset the test taken counter.

So you can either let it go and wait for the non select letter or retake and hope to get better than 5 to give you a bit of a shot.

I would never tell anyone supply is a better shot, it has always had one of the lowest selection rates, generally they grab business degress with very high GPA's.

That schedule if it is the pdf one is out of date already, it was actually out of date as it was routed, they haven't called off the Dec board but they are talking about it, and all other dates past that are now either pushed or TBD per email sent out from NRC, right now there are enought people in the process of getting FS letter they don't need anyone else, but they are waiting to see what happens, I have seen several boards cancelled after the cutoff date and applications pushed or rejected all together depending on the timeline.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I have NEVER personally seen anyone picked up with scores of 5 or 6, that is for non prior, prior, and active.

I've seen you say this a million times, but just to satisfy my own curiosity: Does this mean you've never seen someone with straight 6s get picked up, or any six? I got a 6/7/7/55, for example. Not the best score, not the worst, and I decided to focus on the rest of my package than a retake. But I'm entertaining the option...

exNavyOffRec

I've seen you say this a million times, but just to satisfy my own curiosity: Does this mean you've never seen someone with straight 6s get picked up, or any six? I got a 6/7/7/55, for example. Not the best score, not the worst, and I decided to focus on the rest of my package than a retake. But I'm entertaining the option...

You have to look at the individual score and what they are applying for, so say a person is applying for Pilot and NFO, their PFAR is 6 and FOFAR is 7, I have seen that person picked up for NFO but not Pilot, but say FOFAR is 6 and PFAR is 7, I have seen that person picked up Pilot and not NFO.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
You have to look at the individual score and what they are applying for, so say a person is applying for Pilot and NFO, their PFAR is 6 and FOFAR is 7, I have seen that person picked up for NFO but not Pilot, but say FOFAR is 6 and PFAR is 7, I have seen that person picked up Pilot and not NFO.

Thank you for the explanation. I'm assuming the first number was actually the AQR, but I could be wrong (don't have my sheet with me). But the other two were 7s :)

BleedGreen

pilot
The guys that said avoid retaking the ASTB are probably the same guys that said buy facebook stock, it will go up right away and never go down.

That schedule if it is the pdf one is out of date already, it was actually out of date as it was routed, they haven't called off the Dec board but they are talking about it, and all other dates past that are now either pushed or TBD per email sent out from NRC, right now there are enought people in the process of getting FS letter they don't need anyone else, but they are waiting to see what happens, I have seen several boards cancelled after the cutoff date and applications pushed or rejected all together depending on the timeline.

NavyOffRec,
I noticed that you mentioned they have enough people in the process for FS at this time. I also remember reading on another thread that the Dec board was intended to meet FY13's needs and part of FY14. Does that mean they have met the needs for FY13 and FY14?
thanks for the clarification.

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,
I noticed that you mentioned they have enough people in the process for FS at this time. I also remember reading on another thread that the Dec board was intended to meet FY13's needs and part of FY14. Does that mean they have met the needs for FY13 and FY14?
thanks for the clarification.

Originally yes, but when people dropped for whatever reason and then they added billets so they are not on track for FY13 goal yet, so depending on the number of selects will depend if you get FY13 or pushed to FY14