• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future OCS Board Dates

exNavyOffRec

Hi everyone,

Could really use a little advice from the community on my tricky board timing situation. I've talked with my OR about applying for INTEL, IW, and IP at an October 2013 board (he seemed confident this was set), but given what I've been reading on the forums here, it sounds like my odds of getting picked up aren't great. I have a 3.65 GPA for bachelors' degrees in business and psychology (double major), tons of involvement with church and local government, and I know I can get some LORs from civilian intel community folks. Would ANY ASTB score be high enough to compensate for my non-tech degree, middling GPA, and non-prior service status, though? I'm scheduled to take it next week. My OR is confident I'd have a strong package and I believe he's being straight with me, but he's also really new to recruiting for non-medical personnel.

I'd be much more comfortable with my chances of going in SWO, but here's where the timing thing comes into play. My 29th birthday is 7/21. I obviously won't have things ready for the March board; is there any chance that July could work for me? What's the timing of the selection meeting, and how fast is the turn-around time from that to commissioning? I understand that I need to take the oath before I turn 29 for SWO (please correct me if that's wrong though). Just want to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels on either rushing a SWO package or pushing forward a weak one for INTEL.

Thanks in advance, any advice would be much appreciated!

IW and IP are technical designators which means you need to have a technical background this equals a tech rate in the USN (CT something) or a year of calc and calc based physics (ideally a tech degree). Intel is leaning more tech 60/40 split now.

The age is a commissioned by date, that means you would have to be arriving at OCS in April.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
IW and IP are technical designators which means you need to have a technical background this equals a tech rate in the USN (CT something) or a year of calc and calc based physics (ideally a tech degree). Intel is leaning more tech 60/40 split now.

The age is a commissioned by date, that means you would have to be arriving at OCS in April.

Thanks NavyOffRec, very helpful as always sir. No way I'll be able to arrive at OCS by April, so sounds like SWO is definitely a non-starter for my situation. I'll focus on the IDC board for intel, and consider supply as well.

I'm intrigued the "year of calc and calc-based physics" qualifier. My degrees are in business and psychology, but I spent 2 years in an engineering program and I actually finished up through calc 3 and took a couple calc-based physics courses. (I used those as math/science credits for my other majors, while most took stats and astronomy.) Does that put me in a grey area between a tech and non-tech, possibly improving my chances somewhat against other non-tech applicants? Just curious as to how this plays in to the decision, if you know of similar cases... I expect it's only one piece in a much larger puzzle but any little bit helps.

AirGuy

Thanks NavyOffRec, very helpful as always sir. No way I'll be able to arrive at OCS by April, so sounds like SWO is definitely a non-starter for my situation. I'll focus on the IDC board for intel, and consider supply as well.

I'm intrigued the "year of calc and calc-based physics" qualifier. My degrees are in business and psychology, but I spent 2 years in an engineering program and I actually finished up through calc 3 and took a couple calc-based physics courses. (I used those as math/science credits for my other majors, while most took stats and astronomy.) Does that put me in a grey area between a tech and non-tech, possibly improving my chances somewhat against other non-tech applicants? Just curious as to how this plays in to the decision, if you know of similar cases... I expect it's only one piece in a much larger puzzle but any little bit helps.

Just wanted to say. IP / IW would be awesome.

exNavyOffRec

It makes it worth a shot to apply.