• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funny bumper stickers

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Brett327 said:
That one about breeding makes me think about the IDPs in Sudan I saw on the news this morning. This woman was starving while living under a tree with her TEN MOTHER FVCKING KIDS! I know these people are oppressed and prosecuted, but this has been going on for at least 10 years. Maybe it wasn't the wisest life choice to pump out ten crumb-crunchers in 8 years when there's a war and famine on, especially if you live under a tree. I would have a little more sympathy if these people didn't go out of their way to make their lives that much harder. I mean, when is 10 kids ever a good idea? The UN should contract the Israelis to come in and bulldoze the entire country so they can start over.

Survival of the fittest - Got Darwin?

Brett
Ever think about the possibility that she's gotten raped - possibly as a direct consequence of the war? It's not all welfare checks and gubmint cheez over there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squorch2 said:
Ever think about the possibility that she's gotten raped - possibly as a direct consequence of the war? It's not all welfare checks and gubmint cheez over there.
Since having a million kids is pretty much the standard MO over there, I'm thinking that rape probably isn't the cause of overpopulation.

Brett

squorch2

pilot
<threadjack>
Who said anything about overpopulation? There's a civil war going on over there that eats up and isolates resources. But as long as we're talking about it...

from http://earthtrends.wri.org/pdf_library/country_profiles/pop_cou_736.pdf:

Population density (people/sq. km): Sudan, 12.4; Sub-Saharan Africa, 25.3
Average population growth rate: Sudan, 0.8%, Sub-Saharan Africa, 2.7%
Average fertility rate (avg. children a woman has): Sudan, 4.5, Sub-Saharan Africa, 5.6

To provide some contrast, they're about where the US was around the turn of the century in terms of life expectancy and fertility rate. (comparison taken from http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/haines.demography)
</threadjack>

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squorch2 said:
<threadjack>
Who said anything about overpopulation? There's a civil war going on over there that eats up and isolates resources. But as long as we're talking about it...

from http://earthtrends.wri.org/pdf_library/country_profiles/pop_cou_736.pdf:

Population density (people/sq. km): Sudan, 12.4; Sub-Saharan Africa, 25.3
Average population growth rate: Sudan, 0.8%, Sub-Saharan Africa, 2.7%
Average fertility rate (avg. children a woman has): Sudan, 4.5, Sub-Saharan Africa, 5.6

To provide some contrast, they're about where the US was around the turn of the century in terms of life expectancy and fertility rate. (comparison taken from http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/haines.demography)
</threadjack>
That's swell, but my point isn't about overpopulation - it's that the idea that this woman can attribute her large family to rape is a bit far-fetched. As for the civil war, don't tell me, tell the woman that having 10 kids during a civil war is a bad idea, no matter what your cultural influences are.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Brett327 said:
it's that the idea that this woman can attribute her large family to rape is a bit far-fetched.
Mmmm, I don't know if it is.

For much of sub-saharan Africa, AIDS and pregnancy are always going to be the "fault" of the woman, according to the man (AIDS is often referred to as, "the unfaithful woman's disease"). This cultural aspect is nearly the root of the problem. Many men spend months at a time away their families working, and then rejoin them at certain intervals. While away working, a man will often contract HIV. When he returns home, if the wife does not want to have sex for fear pregnancy, the husband will assume she has been unfaithful, has AIDS, and will beat her. To avoid this, wive often acquiesce to their husband's sexual desires, regardless of chance of pregnancy. Result: mother with AIDS, and lots of babies over a short period of time.

I don't know if this is technical rape or not, it's not really important if it is or not. The point is, I think for a lot of these women, there is little to no choice in the matter as to whether they want to have kids or not.

Now, unfortunately, I don't have the sources for all of this. I picked this up from a lecture that was "forced upon me" in its own right.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Mmmm, I don't know if it is.

For much of sub-saharan Africa, AIDS and pregnancy are always going to be the "fault" of the woman, according to the man (AIDS is often referred to as, "the unfaithful woman's disease"). This cultural aspect is nearly the root of the problem. Many men spend months at a time away their families working, and then rejoin them at certain intervals. While away working, a man will often contract HIV. When he returns home, if the wife does not want to have sex for fear pregnancy, the husband will assume she has been unfaithful, has AIDS, and will beat her. To avoid this, wive often acquiesce to their husband's sexual desires, regardless of chance of pregnancy. Result: mother with AIDS, and lots of babies over a short period of time.

I don't know if this is technical rape or not, it's not really important if it is or not. The point is, I think for a lot of these women, there is little to no choice in the matter as to whether they want to have kids or not.

Now, unfortunately, I don't have the sources for all of this. I picked this up from a lecture that was "forced upon me" in its own right.
I still don't buy that. Like I said, having a million kids has been their MO for decades - before AIDS, before war, before famine - it's part of their culture. My issue is that they seemingly can't adapt and get past that kind of thinking. Show me some hard data that says that non-consensual sex is a significant factor in the number of babies they make and we'll talk. Until then, they're just stupid and irresponsible. I don't care if they're teens in Arkansas, or IDPs in Africa - having kids you can't feed is inexcusable.

Brett

SpiderUSMC

I actually saw a car with that bumper sticker on it.

...so I stopped in front of them on a one lane dirt road to "check" something in my undercarriage. Took me almost 15 minutes to get that damn stick out....

squorch2

pilot
SpiderUSMC said:
I actually saw a car with that bumper sticker on it.

...so I stopped in front of them on a one lane dirt road to "check" something in my undercarriage. Took me almost 15 minutes to get that damn stick out....
Wow, that's a mature and not passive/aggressive thing to do. I suppose you would do the same to the man that said this...

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people."

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I might, but then I didn't like Ike (well at least the post WWII Ike) ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squorch2 said:
Wow, that's a mature and not passive/aggressive thing to do. I suppose you would do the same to the man that said this...

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people."
And the money, sweat, and genius is spent so that the schools will be institutions of learning and not indoctrination. So that kids can go home from that school and sleep safely in their beds. So that the power plants will have ample fuel to power the ICUs in those hospitals, regardless of the whims of some tinpot third world dictator. And so that the brand new home of Mr. and Mrs. John Q public will not be torched or vandalized regardless of their religion or the color of their skin. Theft? Methinks not.