• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Form landing??

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The music video 'Dreams' by Van Halen has a kick a$$ form landing at the end.

6 A-4's (Blue Angels)
The Blues are not "the fleet." They can do stuff like that because they have the demonstrated skill to pull it off consistently without killing anyone. They also have been known to do tuck-under breaks in their show which I'm sure would be highly illegal elsewhere.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
BUT ... that's not a section landing. A section landing is just that: tight all the way to touchdown ...

I agree, it's not a section landing, For the fixed-wing side, it makes sense it's not something to do often, if at all. But, just for clarification, what Pags originally said was "section approaches," which seems to be what wink described, and (based on all accounts here) is in practice in Primary.

@Pags, yeah, section appraoches to landings are more common in the helo world because if something breaks or falls off, wing has somewhere to go or can just stop (on a runway, of course...LZs are a different animal, and something I'll leave for the experienced to discuss).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wonder why? Does any fleet aircraft do section landings? Prowlers do a section go, but terminate a section approach by either dropping wing off on the ball (w/ lead go around), or dragging wing on final for a normal interval. Curious how others do it.

Brett
That is why the question. Everything we do in Tacair revolves around the boat. This is NAVAL Aviation. We land on boats one at a time. Every landing is flown that way. Doesn't matter if the runway is 9K feet long, you fly the ball all the way down, no flare, even if you have the runway. So why would we be teaching form landings in a T-34? Hey boys will be boys on deployment and on det. But my question was are they teaching form landings now. I guess not from what I read here. These guys were too tight for a formation approach, interval landing. No matter. Hope they had fun.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
The Blues are not "the fleet." They can do stuff like that because they have the demonstrated skill to pull it off consistently without killing anyone. They also have been known to do tuck-under breaks in their show which I'm sure would be highly illegal elsewhere.

I know...just saying it's awesome to watch (blues or not)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But my question was are they teaching form landings now. I guess not from what I read here. These guys were too tight for a formation approach, interval landing. No matter. Hope they had fun.

Ahh, okay, I gotcha now. Wasn't understanding that you were saying they were TOO close an interval. Perhaps someone w/ an FTI handy could enlighten us w/ actual facts then (Again, w/ the "facts." Many they're troublesome...).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....But my question was are they teaching form landings now. I guess not from what I read here. These guys were too tight for a formation approach, interval landing. No matter. Hope they had fun.

My guess: it was two Teenie-turbo-Weenie Instructors trying to "impress" and "be somebody" .... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... The (Blues) also have been known to do tuck-under breaks in their show which I'm sure would be highly illegal elsewhere.
Highly. :)

One of our A-7 drivers did one @ Cubi a week after someone else was warned about it. He got a week in hack up at the BOQ annex. Busted out ... went into the 'PO .... got caught .... spent another week in hack up at the BOQ annex.

This time in leg irons. Chained to the awning support. I kid you not .... :) ... we took him some San Miguel's and Mongolian BBQ to ease his pain.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Are you guys doing form landings in the T-34 now? I did notice both seats of each aircraft occupied. Maybe they were NFO studs and the pilot instructors decided to amp things up a bit for the challenge.
Definitely not SNFO's since they don't fly in the T-34.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... we took him some San Miguel's and Mongolian BBQ to ease his pain.

What good shipmates. Can't think of a better way to spend time in leg irons then with a San Magoo and a plate of O' Club Mongolian BBQ. That was some good stuff.

phxtx81

Wow that is a great video, Van Halen must have been a big Navy fan. Didn’t he do the Top Gun Anthem also?