• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Form landing??

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The waiver evolved even more for the Viking. In the RAG you would wear it for tanking and low levels, but not in the fleet. We never wore the mask in the Hoov unless pressurization was lost.

Really, no mask at all in the fleet? Notwithstanding the era from which I have drawn from (old guy, remember), maybe it was a PAC Fleet verse LANT Fleet thing. Was that East Coast?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Did the East Coast thing... No mask... EVER! (Maybe in the RAG for tanking.. Maybe.. Don't remember.. Too much drinking and TJ.. Not required... I think once somebody tried to say it was in the tanking checklist... But it said SHOULD and that was one of those shoulds that mean't "NOT ME"... We had a couple of kiss-@ss that put it on with the CO but again... "NOT ME" :)

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really, no mask at all in the fleet? Notwithstanding the era from which I have drawn from (old guy, remember), maybe it was a PAC Fleet verse LANT Fleet thing. Was that East Coast?

I think it was a lazy community thing, not a coast thing. It was not required, but SHOULD be worn on the CV. In practice, I never knew a Viking guy to wear the O2 mask on deck. Just the way it was when I was there. Here is the quote from the Sept 2000 S-3B NATOPS:

5.7 OXYGEN REQUIREMENTS
Oxygen is required (mask to be worn) whenever cabin altitude exceeds 10,000 feet. Oxygen requirement for tactical jets set forth in OPNAVINST 3710.7 cannot always be met by a full S-3 crew on extended missions because of the limited amount of oxygen on board. Therefore, S-3 aircrew shall comply with the requirements in paragraph 8.2.4 and Figure 8-3 of OPNAVINST 3710.7 for multipiloted pressurized aircraft. Oxygen is not required for field takeoffs or landings. Oxygen should be worn for all CV approaches, landings, and on-deck taxiing and launches. The oxygen mask offers desirable protection in the event of an ejection or canopy damage caused by a birdstrike.

The paragraph that is applicable in 3710 is the one that says O2 is necc'y when cabin alt exceed 10K' and the figure that applies is the readily avail/quick don/O2 on chart.