• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Follow on to Corpus, Whiting, Vance(!) What's the Deal?

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
If I did it all again I'd live in Perdido. Out on the key there are vacation rentals that are fully furnished right on the beach that they want to fill for the off season -- you live on the beach in a high rise, have a few decent bars right near by and downtown really isn't too terribly far.

When I was at Whiting I lived in Whiting Pines ... and although it has a really, really bad rep I didn't think it was too bad especially with its proximity for those 5:03am briefs in the VT's.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I lived in Perdido for a year then moved closer to downtown once my lease was up. In my experience, Perdido is great in terms of commute (if you don't live too far, and laid back atmosphere (I recommend Lost Key.) Big downsides are proximity to downtown, and proximity to wares (you better get used to buying everything you need at wal-mart or target.) I have some friends who moved up near scenic highway in a nice house with a pool and they love it, though. After having lived here for about 18 months, if I could do it all over again, I'd get a house within walking distance of hub's/seville/hopjacks/etc. You just won't regret it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
That's because they didn't expand their bar search past the Florabama. Plenty of good places to party in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores if you know where to look. Plus, you get the advantage of not having all of schools command at the bars. Live on the beach while you can, plenty of time for convenience to Whiting once you class up there. And spring break in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores = awesome.

I get what you're saying, but you're missing the point. Even if you live in Perdido, going to Live Bait or similar in OB is almost a half hour deal. So you get to make a stupid 2:30am drive, find a DD, or get an expensive cab ride. My vote is the high density area of downtown. Close enough for trouble, and if you get really motivated, Orange Beach is easy, and Biloxi/New Orleans are even better.

guim13

Im in my second week of API and if your a Marine being married or single doesnt matter where you go. You tell them where you want to go when u check in, and they form the classes based on that. Minus a few weird situations ( ie a week before I started I was voluntold to go to vance) you will go where you want to go. If you dont want to go to vance just volunteer for corpus. When they had to send someone to vance it came from the Whiting guys. I got a pretty sick place downtown so if you know someone who wants a bay view from their bedroom window its $450.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I lived downtown. My place kinda sucked but the location was tits. I stumbled home from the bars every weekend.

81montedriver

pilot
For Marines it's all a crapshoot. When I was waiting to start API at MATSG, there were less than 20 guys waiting in the pool. On top of that they shrunk the classes from 8 Marines to 2. In the 2 weeks when they wanted me to class up there were 3 Corpus spots and one Vance spot and 2 of us were married. Guess who got the Vance spot. There is no way to guess what will happen, only trends on recent activity. But no matter what, wherever you go, you will end up having fun and you will end up flying your ass off, even at Vance.

Pags

N/A
pilot
F that. Live in Perdido, close to API and the beach. If you get orders to whiting: just move. It's more than the 30 miles or whatever req'd to break your lease under the military clause.

when i was there a lot of the leases had the distance at 50mi, so you couldn't break the lease for moving to whiting.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
when i was there a lot of the leases had the distance at 50mi, so you couldn't break the lease for moving to whiting.

Florida Statute 83.682 (1)(a) [SIZE=-1]- The servicemember is required, pursuant to a permanent change of station orders, to move 35 miles or more from the location of the rental premises;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]That statute should alleviate any issues with distances. The landlord or tenant can't alter that statute, even if by agreement. Plus, it's rental premises, not work to work distances.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/Sections/0083.682.html
[/SIZE]

Pags

N/A
pilot
Florida Statute 83.682 (1)(a) [SIZE=-1]- The servicemember is required, pursuant to a permanent change of station orders, to move 35 miles or more from the location of the rental premises;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]That statute should alleviate any issues with distances. The landlord or tenant can't alter that statute, even if by agreement. Plus, it's rental premises, not work to work distances.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/Sections/0083.682.html
[/SIZE]

My info is a tad dated. I just remember it being an issue for friends of mine a few years back.

24goingon5

Just picked up for API, after the (what seems to be) standard 8-9 month wait. Live close enough to NASP that morning muster every day won't get annoying. Get a house with your buddy close to the bars and close to the beach.

It looks like they are placing people in API classes now based on the need of training wings and your preference for Primary location.

That being said, don't get too attached to the idea of P'cola yet, there is still talk of sending more people TAD while waiting for API. So I would not get a house or apartment until you check in with the MOC at MATSG and figure out what is going to happen to your TBS Co.

Enjoy the downtime and don't get fat while you wait.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Just picked up for API, after the (what seems to be) standard 8-9 month wait. Live close enough to NASP that morning muster every day won't get annoying. Get a house with your buddy close to the bars and close to the beach.

It looks like they are placing people in API classes now based on the need of training wings and your preference for Primary location.

That being said, don't get too attached to the idea of P'cola yet, there is still talk of sending more people TAD while waiting for API. So I would not get a house or apartment until you check in with the MOC at MATSG and figure out what is going to happen to your TBS Co.

Enjoy the downtime and don't get fat while you wait.

Ah, I'm in the Navy, not the Marines. Looks like most of my classmates have been waiting for less than 4 weeks to class up for API, plus I have to still do IFS, so I'm not sure how relevant any of this is - but for Marine guys out there, seems like reasonable gouge...

24goingon5

Didn't realize you are in the Navy, sorry about that.

Can't help you with gouge about placement for Primary but you might be interested to hear that there is talk of the NSS cutoff going away after the new fiscal year.....

ajalali

pilot
Didn't realize you are in the Navy, sorry about that.

Can't help you with gouge about placement for Primary but you might be interested to hear that there is talk of the NSS cutoff going away after the new fiscal year.....

i just saw from a friend who's waiting to class up for API (on facebook) that NSS was lowered from 43 to 40