• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Follow on to Corpus, Whiting, Vance(!) What's the Deal?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys,
My roommate and I are heading down to API come November. With that said, we were looking at living in West Pensacola or Perdido Key under the assumption we'd be moving to Corpus or Vance, but yesterday we had a conversation with a former IP that is still very much in the loop that made us feel like we had a good chance that we'd staying in Whiting for Primary. He told us to just check with some folks down there, so here I am asking you guys - what seems to be the percentage of folks staying at Whiting? During Practicum class they made it seem very much like the married guys would be the ones staying only, but I guess less folks are getting married so early nowadays?
So long story short, is it likely we'll be staying in Whiting and thus should find a place closer to it (i.e. not West Pensacola/ Perdido Key)?

Thanks in advance!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Best answer....it totally depends on timing when you get there. Trying to plan for going to Corpus or Whiting right now is like wrestling a greased pig, you just aren't gonna win.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Best answer....it totally depends on timing when you get there. Trying to plan for going to Corpus or Whiting right now is like wrestling a greased pig, you just aren't gonna win.

But wrestling a greased pig would be way more fun depending on the amount of alcohol involved.

Just live in east Pensacola. Solves all your problems. There are some nice areas and you're closer to P. Beach and the mall and stuff. And closer to Whiting. West Pensacola gets you Perdido and a shorter drive for the few months that you're at NASP. If you get Whiting you either get a really long drive or you have to move all your shit again. I'd go with the compromise.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Live in downtown Pensacola. Be within walking distance of the Palafox bars. From there you'll be close to NASP, close to Pensacola Beach, and not TOO far from NASWF. Start training your liver now.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Live in downtown Pensacola. Be within walking distance of the Palafox bars. From there you'll be close to NASP, close to Pensacola Beach, and not TOO far from NASWF. Start training your liver now.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Unless you're married, don't live by the Mall or farther away. You risk being boring or having to get a DD every night. You're single, enjoy the SOPA life. Live somewhere fun while you can, sign a short lease, and that way you're covered for all bases.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
F that. Live in Perdido, close to API and the beach. If you get orders to whiting: just move. It's more than the 30 miles or whatever req'd to break your lease under the military clause.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
F that. Live in Perdido, close to API and the beach. If you get orders to whiting: just move. It's more than the 30 miles or whatever req'd to break your lease under the military clause.

As to where you will go, you won't find that out until you class up. At least, that's the way it happened with us. There were a bunch of us who were single and expected to go to Corpus and ended up at Whiting. You roll the dice and take your chances. Just be ready to move.

As to where to live. Perdido is nice, that's where I lived for A-pool and API. If you end up getting orders to Whiting you simply break the lease and find somewhere new to live. If you're worried about not wanting to move, live downtown.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Just my $.02, but social life wise, my friends who lived in Perdido got sick of it pretty quickly. Downtown and P-Beach provided much better shenanigans compared to going to Florabama twice every weekend. And if they did want to come downtown from Perdido, that's a 20min drive. East side of Pensacola is a much nicer option. 10mins from NASC, stumble home from the bars, or a cheap cab ride.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's because they didn't expand their bar search past the Florabama. Plenty of good places to party in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores if you know where to look. Plus, you get the advantage of not having all of schools command at the bars. Live on the beach while you can, plenty of time for convenience to Whiting once you class up there. And spring break in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores = awesome.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
If you're single you'll (most likely) go to Corpus or Vance after API. If you're married, you'll most likely go to Whiting. Of course this changes sometimes, but for the most part you can count on that. As far as where to live, I'm biased because I live in Perdido and love it. IMO, the further away you get from NASP, the better the nightlife. Seville, Pensacola Beach and even Florabama is SATURATED with Navy and Marines. I spend more time in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, AL then I do in Pensacola. Unless I need to go to Best Buy, I ain't going the Pensacola. I try to stay west of the back gate as much as possible.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It all depends on your priorities. If you're a SNFO, I'd say maybe try to live at Snug/Austinwood/Countrywood. When you have those 5 AM briefs in primary (and intermediate/advanced if you that route) living less than 10 minutes to work is really nice. That was just my philosophy, however. I'd rather have to cab it on the weekends to go drink than have to get up earlier for briefs most days.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
For the record, we're both single SNA's. Thanks for the responses so far.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
If you're single you'll (most likely) go to Corpus or Vance after API. If you're married, you'll most likely go to Whiting. Of course this changes sometimes, but for the most part you can count on that. As far as where to live, I'm biased because I live in Perdido and love it. IMO, the further away you get from NASP, the better the nightlife. Seville, Pensacola Beach and even Florabama is SATURATED with Navy and Marines. I spend more time in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, AL then I do in Pensacola. Unless I need to go to Best Buy, I ain't going the Pensacola. I try to stay west of the back gate as much as possible.

Is that what you're seeing for SNA's or are you just hearing that from others?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is that what you're seeing for SNA's or are you just hearing that from others?

It was like that in '08 when I was there. From what I casually observed, it seemed like this was a little less reliable during times of heavy influx of studs (ie june/july/aug when most ROTC and USNA folks show up), but when I showed up "off-season" in April, the guys who went to Whiting were predominantly married, OCS types, or had been priors (NROTC units at least used to cut follow on orders to whiting when you commission if you were a prior). If you are a single USNA guy showing up sometime in the next few months, I'd guess that you will be going to Corpus, but I wouldn't plan for anything in particular.