• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying the T-34

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedStriker

after looking over the Gerber gouge and the emergency procedure flashcards, i have a couple of questions aimed at anyone who has flown (or knows about) the T-34.

1. what does the control lever do?
2. what is the PCL (also, what is full beta)?
3. what do PEL, EPL, and ELP stand for?

..thanks!

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Reaching way back (1997) but here goes...
Originally posted by TedStriker 1. what does the control lever do?
Control lever? You probably mean the Power Control Lever (below) or the Condition Lever, which controls propeller RPM and introduces fuel to the engine.

Originally posted by TedStriker 2. what is the PCL
Power Control Lever - essentially the throttle which controls torque (power).

Originally posted by TedStriker (also, what is full beta)
Beta allows a negative pitch on the propeller to slow the aircraft on landing rollouts and allow better taxi speed control.

Originally posted by TedStriker 3. what do PEL, EPL, and ELP stand for?
PEL = Precautionary emergency landing
EPL = Emergency Power Lever
ELP = Emergency Landing Pattern

Anyone, feel free to correct me. Good luck!!

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by UInavyThe best part is when you get a rollback-- You can engage the EPL, set the PCL to idle, intercept the ELP and perform a PEL!
And if things go bad, we'll all hear your ELT!
icon_smile_wink.gif

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Hey guys. I'm new to this site, and I'm a soon to be Marine OCS candidate. I want to be an aviator or an NFO in the Corps just pending on the whole rumor about corrective eye surgery. By the way, if anyone knows the answer to this please post it.

Anyways, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get my Private Pilot license while I'm in school, so when I get to Primary I'll have some familiarization with the aircraft. I started my license back in the fall, but the whole $ issue was little much, so I've been saving. That's why I'm joining the military so I can learn to fly. Too much money to learn the civilian way. Tell me some stuff about the Trainer aircraft that is used at Primary.

Once you get into your first squadron what is life like for NFOs or Aviators? Is there time for wife and maybe kids or are most aviators single? How many tours do you have to do? How long is each tour? What's the contract time for fixed wing aviators? I know these are a lot of questions, but I've come to the right place to get them answered. Thanks & Semper FI

jwilliamsee

You have come to the right place for your questions. Most of the questions you asked have already been answered in several places on this web site. run a search and you can find all sorts of stuff. I would say yes to getting you private it will help your package and help you decide if you want to commit 10 years to the military. hope this helps.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Darn, I sure wished I lived in California right now....how do you pull off a deal like that? Do you own a T-34 or something? Just curious....it sounds like it's too good to be true.

D

espo1620

Who the hell does this guy think he is? Not knowing what a TACAN is sounds like the least of your worries. I can't believe you will be flying the same jets as me. Good luck man, I mean it.

PartyTime

Espo...you are not wrong bro..This guy needs some serious help. He's probably one of those guys that goes to the bar and claims to be a "jet pilot"...oh wait I mean "Naval Aviator". TACAN.....?!? Yikes..... I feel sorry for his roomates....I pity the fellas that live with this guy...anyhow...goodluck with the jets and hopefully you'll figure that TACAN out soon!

sna-vt3

The T-6 only has a VOR (Or at least that's what I'm told). Apparently they added VOR capability to the Whiting TACAN in anticipation of the T-6 showing up at VT-3 (Notice how NAS Pensacola only has a TACAN, but flies the T-6. Do the TW-6 T-6's have TACAN? Can anyone up at Moody verify this VOR-only rumor?)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by dingo155
Well I'm not really sure about the T-34 because I flew the T-6 in primary so I guess I am just a little better than you guys. I mean I did get jets. But my roommates in Meridian who went to Corpus are better pilots than me. So maybe I have no idea what I am talking about. Be thankful the T-34 has a TACAN b/c I have no idea what that thing is. I still can't believe I got jets. I knew they were taking the bottom of the barrel when I selected but man I was way low.

Methinks someone's roomates got a hold of someone's account.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I've got a friend/classmate here in Meridian from Vance that flew tweets, they had VOR only (with DME of course). He didn't know how to use the TACAN either, big deal. Doesn't make him any less of a pilot! It's pretty much the same concept (just slight differences....c of c is larger with TACAN, off the top of my head).

hendogg311

Definitely try to get in a Piper Malibu Meridian that would probably be the closest comparison. The Caravan is a high wing turboprop with a ton of power but not much speed.

Originally posted by Valion310
Hey guys, I'm curious about something, I'll be done with my Private in mid-Dec and am thinking of getting checked out on another platform, preferably low wing with a beefed up engine. What is a relativly solid equivalant to the T-34's in the civilian markets? I'd like something with some rather more complex operation's, single engine, heavy procedures to learn ya know ... I guess just get used to the load the T-34's give out. But one that isn't gonna cost my first born child and my left kidney to fly per hour.

Anyway, my couple of backseat rides in T-34's out in Fallon was AWSOME! They are awsome to fly, (the pilot gave me about 30 min's stick time when I was up with him). I couldn't keep my heart in one spot I was so excited.

Valion310 doing his preflight weather brief-

Status
Not open for further replies.