• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

Well, surprised no one has broken the news yet but today the Navy took some drastic (to us candidates atleast) measures in relation to aviation recruitment.

"All NFOs and Pilots Officer Candidates in DEP are being placed on hold (including those scheduled for 15 October 22.) The FY23 Officer Accession Plan has still not been signed, and there are ongoing conversations of a potential significant reduction in Aviation accessions. Until the plan is official, the Aviation OCM and NRC have agreed to hold off on shipping any more pilots and NFOs."

A bunch of aviation candidates in the next OCS class in 12 days were notified of being put on hold indefinitely. Many of us had quit our jobs, ended leases, swore in, booked flights, received FINSELs and orders, etc.
Where did you get this notice? I cannot find anything online for it

WannaFlyHigh

Where did you get this notice? I cannot find anything online for it
Yeah I was surprised it wasn’t mentioned on air warriors earlier. I think only one other person mentioned it in the upcoming SNA/NFO Board.

I received this notice from someone’s recruiter who posted it in a shared OCS group chat. It appears that the message was actually copy and pasted from communications from the recruiter’s chain of command.

I would reach out to your recruiter to find out for yourself. As always, there may be some recruiters who have no idea what’s happening but good chance they should have heard by now since it was a pretty significant action.

Adam80

The FY23 Officer Accession Plan has still not been signed, and there are ongoing conversations of a potential significant reduction in Aviation accessions."
Is this referring to a reduction in future Selects? Or cutting loose people already given a PROREC?

WannaFlyHigh

Does this mean anything for Primary source accessions like NROTC and USNA aviation selection rates?
The way it was explained to me was that the number of selects from NROTC and USNA shouldn’t be impacted much. OCS is the primary varying factor. If they have too many or too little candidates for a designator they will control it via OCS recruitment and selection.

exNavyOffRec

Future selects only. If you were selected, you’re in. Just have to wait an undetermined amount of time to actually go to OCS.
Remember that everything is based on end needs in the fleet, if the overall number of winged aviators isn't changing the overall numbers for a YG will remain fairly constant. The numbers NRC needs to plan board numbers arrive at random times, sometimes they haven't had the info to put out until Jan so this delay is not unprecedented. They have already selected all the numbers they need for FY 23 so if they decided to cut numbers selected on boards it would be to fix the issues of continuing to select when they already had a lot of people stacked up to go to OCS.

csanfilippo9

Well, surprised no one has broken the news yet but today the Navy took some drastic (to us candidates atleast) measures in relation to aviation recruitment.

"All NFOs and Pilots Officer Candidates in DEP are being placed on hold (including those scheduled for 15 October 22.) The FY23 Officer Accession Plan has still not been signed, and there are ongoing conversations of a potential significant reduction in Aviation accessions. Until the plan is official, the Aviation OCM and NRC have agreed to hold off on shipping any more pilots and NFOs."

A bunch of aviation candidates in the next OCS class in 12 days were notified of being put on hold indefinitely. Many of us had quit our jobs, ended leases, swore in, booked flights, received FINSELs and orders, etc.
I am one of these people. I mean I understand but it really does suck having quit my job to now not know when I’m leaving for ocs

FinkUFreaky

pilot
This is not abnormal y’all; as others have said. When I went through API circa 2010, they raised the required NSS to 43 because A-pool had gotten too large. Basically the goal was to kick out 25%. Now due to things outside the navy’s control (although some inside; I can’t imagine if I had done a ten month cruise with the Covid protocols in place), we are super short on year group and if you have a pulse, promoted even if you told them you planned on getting out!

You’ll learn if you make this a career that a sinusoidal signal is how it works rather than aiming for a somewhat wobbly line. So kick out lots one year, push them through next (I’m not talking below the standard). Welcome to the new normal; no corporation would operate this way. And if you are getting paid to wait for flight training, enjoy getting paid to play video games, create tiktok videos, working out, surfing, drinking, or whatever it is you do for fun….