• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

WannaFlyHigh

Congress doesn't want you to, either. Keep yourself healthy, and score as high as you can on everything. I suspect there may be higher front-end attrition coming.
Yeah. Someone mentioned that earlier about them handing out pink slips for small infractions.

Sponge

Soaking up info
pilot
Yeah. Someone mentioned that earlier about them handing out pink slips for small infractions.
Always hate to hear it. I heard the back up in Pensacola is pretty bad at the moment. Ebb and flow of Naval Flight Training I guess. It seems every stage you'll find the feast or famine, and it's associated reactions.

Astro_Rekt

There are worse places to wait than Pensacola. I chose Corpus for Primary because I heard the wait was shorter and the course rules were easier - both proved to be true, but this place has no other redeeming qualities to speak of.
Hey now, trash can tacos from Almeida deserve some recognition.

Congress doesn't want you to, either. Keep yourself healthy, and score as high as you can on everything. I suspect there may be higher front-end attrition coming.
Not sure if this is necessarily true. If they know anything about the shortage of personnel they would want all of us to stay. Also I am currently here in NASC and I personally dont know anyone who has gotten attrited and the last 2 all hands they have had they mentioned that they are not increasing standards or anything like that. I was recently talking to someone in Lemoore and they are desperate for pilots, so if they increase attrition, retention is going to get worse and the pilot shortage will get dangerous to fleet readiness

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Not sure if this is necessarily true. If they know anything about the shortage of personnel they would want all of us to stay. Also I am currently here in NASC and I personally dont know anyone who has gotten attrited and the last 2 all hands they have had they mentioned that they are not increasing standards or anything like that. I was recently talking to someone in Lemoore and they are desperate for pilots, so if they increase attrition, retention is going to get worse and the pilot shortage will get dangerous to fleet readiness
You’re not wrong, but there is a disconnect between lots of people being paid to do essentially nothing, and having them go fill fleet seats. There’s a bottleneck in the way, and unless they work on widening that aperture, it’s unlikely to stop being a problem.

What I can’t wrap my head around is why there isn’t more of a push from the USN side to take more ownership of the contracts for parts and maintainers in their own service. It’s all joint-run and USAF led, which is part of the problem. I don’t know how much of that is inflexible, but there sure seems to be a disconnect between the services.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What I can’t wrap my head around is why there isn’t more of a push from the USN side to take more ownership of the contracts for parts and maintainers in their own service. It’s all joint-run and USAF led, which is part of the problem. I don’t know how much of that is inflexible, but there sure seems to be a disconnect between the services.

Why do I get the feeling that NAVAIR would answer this question with, "Due to contract limitations, we have to work within the current situation." That kind of talk from NAVAIR usually can be decoded to, "We can't because it's hard."

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do I get the feeling that NAVAIR would answer this question with, "Due to contract limitations, we have to work within the current situation." That kind of talk from NAVAIR usually can be decoded to, "We can't because it's hard."
The government pays for certain scope and performance - usually for a fixed price. The contractor / vendor doesn't perform outside of that. It is my experience that most gov folks bend over backwards within their power to provide the fleet or training what they need within budget and contracts. I haven't heard "we can't because its hard" from any of the system command folks. Is your gripe with the government or contractor / vendors?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I haven't heard "we can't because its hard" from any of the system command folks. Is your gripe with the government or contractor / vendors?
100% with PMA. And many of the "challenges" which get identified and reported by the fleet (and contractors) would often just get punted back to the fleet (and contractors) to solve.

I get it. No one person is trying to fail, but as a whole, program offices seem to excel at delaying success.

WannaFlyHigh

Well, surprised no one has broken the news yet but today the Navy took some drastic (to us candidates atleast) measures in relation to aviation recruitment.

"All NFOs and Pilots Officer Candidates in DEP are being placed on hold (including those scheduled for 15 October 22.) The FY23 Officer Accession Plan has still not been signed, and there are ongoing conversations of a potential significant reduction in Aviation accessions. Until the plan is official, the Aviation OCM and NRC have agreed to hold off on shipping any more pilots and NFOs."

A bunch of aviation candidates in the next OCS class in 12 days were notified of being put on hold indefinitely. Many of us had quit our jobs, ended leases, swore in, booked flights, received FINSELs and orders, etc.

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
Well, surprised no one has broken the news yet but today the Navy took some drastic (to us candidates atleast) measures in relation to aviation recruitment.

"All NFOs and Pilots Officer Candidates in DEP are being placed on hold (including those scheduled for 15 October 22.) The FY23 Officer Accession Plan has still not been signed, and there are ongoing conversations of a potential significant reduction in Aviation accessions. Until the plan is official, the Aviation OCM and NRC have agreed to hold off on shipping any more pilots and NFOs."

A bunch of aviation candidates in the next OCS class in 12 days were notified of being put on hold indefinitely. Many of us had quit our jobs, ended leases, swore in, booked flights, received FINSELs and orders, etc.
Does this mean anything for Primary source accessions like NROTC and USNA aviation selection rates?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Does this mean anything for Primary source accessions like NROTC and USNA aviation selection rates?
You’d have to read the entire notice to know for sure, but my (entirely meaningless) GUESS is a yes. They can stash ROTC and USNA ensigns in the fleet for quite a while.