• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All -

Good evening. I was wondering why there hasn’t been a thread for info regarding the current news for flight school. I recently commissioned and am on indefinite hold for flight school. I’m looking for any relevant info on what we should expect. Let us begin…
It's always backed up... sometimes more, sometimes less. Enjoy your free time while getting paid.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All -

Good evening. I was wondering why there hasn’t been a thread for info regarding the current news for flight school. I recently commissioned and am on indefinite hold for flight school. I’m looking for any relevant info on what we should expect. Let us begin…
My first post on this forum was this exact question 20 years ago (!). The more things change, the more they stay the same. Flight school isn't going anywhere, the fleet isn't going anywhere, and neither is their crushing workload and stress. Take life one day at a time, work out and stay in shape, don't do any stupid Ensign tricks to ruin your shot, and then relax. Not because you're taking your eye off the ball, but because you understand that soon you're going to be lighting your hair on fire wondering where your free time was. So get in the best shape of your life, don't go overboard hitting the bottle, do what you truly enjoy, and bank this free time against the many, many study sessions and checkrides to come. If you're really bored, figure out what you'd do if you weren't able to fly and take classes in that. Shit happens.

I've had multiple trips through the training command and worked in both the Navy and the private sector. A-pool is a unique time that few people get to experience, because the private sector sure as hell isn't going to pay you to wait.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
pro-tip....if you commission "off season", you will move through API and primary much faster. If you show up in p'cola when all 7 million May/June grads of USNA and ROTC show up, its gonna be a while. Enjoy the cocktails and beach, your Navy life will never be more low key than it is now.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
All -

It happens in ebbs and flows, for a variety of reasons. The most common are the flow of USNA/ROTC grads who commission in the Spring.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So a 13 month TAD is normal? From what I’m hearing is that there are 1300 people already PCSd to PCola waiting in A pool.

It can be. Some years more so than others. There have actually been a bunch of posts about this over the course of the last couple of months. I know both Nit and I have responded recently in threads where this was discussed, so you can find the threads that way.

Cowgirl

Thanks guys for the gouge. Any other posting is welcome. Trust me, I’m taking notes and can’t wait for my career to begin!

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
pro-tip....if you commission "off season", you will move through API and primary much faster. If you show up in p'cola when all 7 million May/June grads of USNA and ROTC show up, its gonna be a while. Enjoy the cocktails and beach, your Navy life will never be more low key than it is now.

Not trying to criticize you or anything, but I think your comment is a good example of how what is happening hasn’t registered as abnormal yet. This isn’t a normal “on/off season” wait that these kids are having.

The current wait for NIFE/Primary will have kids putting on JG before they get in a T-6 in Milton. I And that is just the kids down there, they are cutting year plus PCS orders to send ENSs to out to various wings to free up space in the pool.

I complained about the wait with the best of them, but this is way worse.

johnboyA6E

None
i know a '21 grad who still hasn't started NIFE yet, 15 mos and counting.

'22 grads with later report dates are having their pcs orders cancelled with hopes to get to pensacola sometime next summer.....then starting their wait

has it ever been this bad?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Thanks guys for the gouge. Any other posting is welcome. Trust me, I’m taking notes and can’t wait for my career to begin!
Take care of yourself, stay fit, don't do anything your older self would judge as dumb, and enjoy the time....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i know a '21 grad who still hasn't started NIFE yet, 15 mos and counting.

'22 grads with later report dates are having their pcs orders cancelled with hopes to get to pensacola sometime next summer.....then starting their wait

has it ever been this bad?

I knew some guys in the early to mid-90's who waited 18 to 30-something months to start. So yes, it has been this bad before. At least they aren't calling folks in an auditorium and pink-slipping 80% of them right then and there.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah, heard that story - can't imagine how much that must have sucked for them, that was around 2012?

The one I know of was circa 1970, though I think about 2006-ish they were cutting some folks loose if they wanted to before they even started flight school. It was around the time they sent ~60 or so folks straight to VR's as well.