• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical Question

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
In fairness, to the uninitiated, the tests can be a bit ambiguous the first time. You also have to keep in mind that many of the junior troopers administering these tests aren't aware of, or particularly care about what is going on. Throw a little patient nervousness in there and this is a tough combination when the results of some of this testing can make or break someone's aviation slot. Lesson being, make sure you have whomever is administering the test thoroughly explain the test and what is expected before they begin. It's your career, so take charge. My last flight physical, the guy giving me the depth perception test, started the test with the lights way down and I couldn't see a thing. A quick, "How about we turn the lights up for this one, good buddy," is all it takes and for some of you, might make the difference between PQ and NPQ.

Brett

Are you serious? They can turn up the lights? The depth perception test for me was done in a dark room with the field of circles backlight by a pretty dim light. Maybe this was the problem?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
It was dark in the room for me at MEPS. For the flight physical in Pensacola, the room was well lit. I didnt have a problem with it at MEPS, but now that I think about it, I flew through the testing the second time around. Good point.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was dark in the room for me at MEPS. For the flight physical in Pensacola, the room was well lit. I didnt have a problem with it at MEPS, but now that I think about it, I flew through the testing the second time around. Good point.

That's what I'm saying - these guys giving you the test aren't thinking about this kind of stuff. I don't know/remember what it was like at NOMI, but there is definitely a standardization problem at your local BMC.

Brett

joboy_2.0

Contributor
That's what I'm saying - these guys giving you the test aren't thinking about this kind of stuff. I don't know/remember what it was like at NOMI, but there is definitely a standardization problem at your local BMC.

Brett

you're right. I felt REALLY rushed all throughout MEPS, and I should have said something, but it all worked out so whatever. They had no idea what was at stake for me. I had to go back to the vision test area like 3 times because they forgot to give me the officer tests (and I had to go back for the color vision retest).

robav8r

None
Contributor
It's your career, so take charge. Brett

Salient words. I think you are well ahead of the power curve by absorbing the wisdom, information and most importantly, the spirit of those who have gone before you on this forum. Take charge indeed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In fairness, to the uninitiated, the tests can be a bit ambiguous the first time. You also have to keep in mind that many of the junior troopers administering these tests aren't aware of, or particularly care about what is going on. Throw a little patient nervousness in there and this is a tough combination when the results of some of this testing can make or break someone's aviation slot.

All wise words. I, too, had the exact same thing happen on my Pre-comm back in the day. The lights were dirty and I was the first one to go. The first one, I said red (guessed) when it was "white." When he showed me the red, it was obvious.

The rest of the stuff Brett mentioned is good stuff, beyond just medical appointments.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
All wise words. I, too, had the exact same thing happen on my Pre-comm back in the day. The lights were dirty and I was the first one to go. The first one, I said red (guessed) when it was "white." When he showed me the red, it was obvious.

The rest of the stuff Brett mentioned is good stuff, beyond just medical appointments.

That was exactly the same thing I was describing. The "white" had a hue of green in it, when I saw the real "green" it was clear what was white, but having never done the test before I got the first run wrong. The second testing on FALANT, I passed without error.

navyboy4415

I just returned from MEPS for my physical for BDCP. I have 20/20 vision but I failed the depth perception test. Am I SOL (sh** out of luck) for my aviation slot now?

Raptor2216

I just returned from MEPS for my physical for BDCP. I have 20/20 vision but I failed the depth perception test. Am I SOL (sh** out of luck) for my aviation slot now?

No. You need to go to walmart or some other private joint and have then give you a test, write up a little note and bring it back to your OSO. I failed the one at MEPS and ended up going to walmart.

Drinking water makes a huge difference because when I had my commissioning physical at mirimar, I flew through the depth perception test. At the time, I didn't know that the hydration from the days prior to the physical was responsible for this. I didn't hydrate very well for NOMI and came very close to failing the test but I passed. At any rate, make sure you hydrate prior to the physical and stop drinking...maybe eat some carrots or take some supplements...everything goes a long way. As Brett said, it's your career, do everything you can.