• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical Question

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are you sure you should be flying if you're color blind and have poor depth perception?

It doesn't seem quite right to have people getting PQ'd by guessing, but maybe I'm wrong...

Don't worry, he has several more physicals to go through before he's even in a cockpit.

jess8890

What about anthro measurements? What exactly are they measuring for? I dated a guy who flies supers for the Navy now, but was anthroed (sp) out of flying the prowler originally. I know they measure your arms and legs, but what else?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
you will sit on this chair with your back straight against the wall. You will extend your arm out completely straight. they will measure the distance from your shoulder (against the wall) to the tip of your thumb. They had me pinch my thumb and first finger together. FR = functional reach. Its not just to the tip of your longest finger. You need to be able to turn a knob or grab something or whatever so its measured out to the tip of your thumb.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
yeah, apparently a lot of people get anthro'd out of the prowler...I did. wasnt too disappointed though.

I heard some people saying stuff about this. What is the big thing that gets people out of the prowler? Sitting height?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard some people saying stuff about this. What is the big thing that gets people out of the prowler? Sitting height?

Yes, but they've recently adjusted the limit up, so like Dev says, stand by to stand by.

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Are you sure you should be flying if you're color blind and have poor depth perception?

It doesn't seem quite right to have people getting PQ'd by guessing, but maybe I'm wrong...

Well there's a reason I failed the ishihara plates. The guy sits me down and starts flipping and if you don't tell him what you see before he flips to the next you fail that plate. So he's flipping away and I don't even have a chance to tell him what I see for like 3 of em. I got 5 wrong, you're allowed 2 I think. I passed the Falant test no problem. I had a PLC friend of mine tell me about the falant test before I went to MEPS and he was exactly right about the Green and white being confusing. So it's not just me. I saw a CLEAR difference between the green and white once I got into the test but at first the white looked like a light green. I've never been diagnosed as colorblind in the civilian world and my depth perception has been good in every checkup I've ever been to. MEPS's equipment and testing methods suck sometimes and most people on here would agree with that....at least those who have been to MEPS.

firefriendly

pilot
... Failed the first run of the FALANT too until I realized that the light green was a "white" light…

You are slightly colorblind.

I passed the Falant test no problem.

According to you, you didn't.

The guy sits me down and starts flipping and if you don't tell him what you see before he flips to the next you fail that plate.

That's how it's done. At least he didn't let you guess like....this lady:

... Then I had to guess like every other line of the stupid Os on the depth perception test...she let me guess like 2 times on each line.

I had a PLC friend of mine tell me about the falant test before I went to MEPS and he was exactly right about the Green and white being confusing. So it's not just me.

It is distinctly possible that he is partially colorblind too.

I've never been diagnosed as colorblind in the civilian world

7% of men are colorblind. Few know it till they are your age.

MEPS's equipment and testing methods suck sometimes and most people on here would agree with that....at least those who have been to MEPS.

Same equipment the FAA used, and I thought it was fine.

You may be color blind enough to fail the Ishiara...clear enough to pass the Falant. If you can pass the Falant, you are PQ by Navy standards. If you can't and have to guess then you aren't really PQ and shouldn't be bragging about it, becuase we still have at least 2 more medicals to get through.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
You are slightly colorblind.

According to you, you didn't.

That's how it's done. At least he didn't let you guess like....this lady:

It is distinctly possible that he is partially colorblind too.

7% of men are colorblind. Few know it till they are your age.

Same equipment the FAA used, and I thought it was fine.

You may be color blind enough to fail the Ishiara...clear enough to pass the Falant. If you can pass the Falant, you are PQ by Navy standards. If you can't and have to guess then you aren't really PQ and shouldn't be bragging about it, becuase we still have at least 2 more medicals to get through.

I appreciate your concern, but I passed the FALANT, and I was not guessing I can assure you. The only reason I missed one on the first run is because they show you an example of what to do, but they only show two colors so I never saw white. When white came around I said it was green because it had a greenish hue to it (also could have been the 1 hour of sleep the night before) but when I saw a legit green I called it no problem and passed the next two rounds on the FALANT. The depth perception test is retarded and there are countless posts on here about people failing/guessing on it. I wasn't so much guessing as it took me two chances to see a lot of them. I would get it wrong, then move my head around and I'd choose another one that seemed to pop out. It was correct and I moved on. I have passed civilian depth perception tests before so I know if I failed it at MEPS I would have been PQ anyway with a civilian doc. Regardless MEPS found me PQ. End of story.:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

In fairness, to the uninitiated, the tests can be a bit ambiguous the first time. You also have to keep in mind that many of the junior troopers administering these tests aren't aware of, or particularly care about what is going on. Throw a little patient nervousness in there and this is a tough combination when the results of some of this testing can make or break someone's aviation slot. Lesson being, make sure you have whomever is administering the test thoroughly explain the test and what is expected before they begin. It's your career, so take charge. My last flight physical, the guy giving me the depth perception test, started the test with the lights way down and I couldn't see a thing. A quick, "How about we turn the lights up for this one, good buddy," is all it takes and for some of you, might make the difference between PQ and NPQ.

Brett