• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical Question

rmh6468

rmh6468
I was just down in Pensacola taking the flight phys and passed - but barely. I almost failed the depth perception test. I've heard that is relatively common. Has anybody else had to take more than one depth perception test (like the machine and then the book, too) or am I a rare case? Also, does anybody have any tips for that damn depth perception machine or for passing the test? Thanks and Semper Fi

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I just did a physical at NAS Jax for my application, and I failed the AFVT depth perception test. However, they gave me a different test and I didn't miss any. As far as I know, as long as you can pass ONE of the three tests they offer, you're PQd.

Supposedly the three tests test depth perception at different distances, infinity, medium, and near--although it seems a little strange to test depth perception at infinity...i.e. not possible, but I remember reading that on some NOMI form.

EDIT: yup found it: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology.pdf

Although the devices test stereopsis at optical infinity, intermediate or near distance-respectively-a pass of any one test meets the stereopsis standard. The tests must be administered and results recorded as specified in MANMED and elsewhere in the ARWG.

phrogpilot73

I was just down in Pensacola taking the flight phys and passed - but barely. I almost failed the depth perception test. I've heard that is relatively common. Has anybody else had to take more than one depth perception test (like the machine and then the book, too) or am I a rare case? Also, does anybody have any tips for that damn depth perception machine or for passing the test? Thanks and Semper Fi
Knew of a couple of guys who failed the depth perception at mainside Quantico, and had to go to HMX-1's flight surgeon. I have never had a problem, and don't now of any "tricks"

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Has anybody else had to take more than one depth perception test (like the machine and then the book, too) or am I a rare case?

I did some machine and then the book. she had me do the book a second time. I got every one right so i'm not sure why i had to do so much of it

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
I failed the depth perception test the first time i took it at MEPS. Fortunately one of the doctors let me take it again since I have a civillian pilots licence.

I read (on AW) that drinking a lot of water before you take the test helps.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I failed the Ishihara plates. Failed the first run of the FALANT too until I realized that the light green was a "white" light. Then I had to guess like every other line of the stupid Os on the depth perception test...she let me guess like 2 times on each line. Haha..At the end of the day I was PQ and that's all that matters!

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I failed the depth perception test at MEPS and wasn't allowed to take it again. I ended up going to a civilian doctor and having a full eye exam and getting a letter written saying my eyes were sexy. It was stressful initially worrying about not making it medically, but in retrospect it wasn't a really big deal. Final select for SNA followed soon afterwards.

I talked to an old flight surgeon and he recommended keeping a bunch of copies of the letter with myself when I went in for my flight physical. He told me that if I ever had a problem with the depth perception test (probably will seeing as I have heard that the test is relatively uniform) to pull out the letter, state there was a complication but it has been adequately dealt with before.

He then told me to stop worrying because it did no good. That advice did me no good. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

thull

that liquid they put in your eyes that screws up your vision for half a day was fun. I wanna do that again.

/threadjack

robav8r

None
Contributor
I failed the depth perception test the first time i took it at MEPS. Fortunately one of the doctors let me take it again since I have a civillian pilots licence.

I read (on AW) that drinking a lot of water before you take the test helps.

Yes, drinking a lot of water the night before your eye exam DEFINITELY helps. I turn 45 this year and have only needed glasses for the last two to pass my eye exam. Lay off the booze for a day or two prior as well. Trust me, it works.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I failed depth perception and the refractive part of the test. Good thing NFOs dont have to pass that stupid test.

Yes we do. I've taken a depth perception and vision test every year since I started flight school in 2000. We at least need corrected vision to 20/20, if not 20/20 already. Otherwise, we'd be stabbing around in the cockpit trying to hit the controls. Like when you have to piss in the middle of the night and you walk to the can with your hands out in front so you don't bump into anything.

zachary2777

Banned
I failed the Ishihara plates. Failed the first run of the FALANT too until I realized that the light green was a "white" light. Then I had to guess like every other line of the stupid Os on the depth perception test...she let me guess like 2 times on each line. Haha..At the end of the day I was PQ and that's all that matters!

Are you sure you should be flying if you're color blind and have poor depth perception?

It doesn't seem quite right to have people getting PQ'd by guessing, but maybe I'm wrong...

MasterHaynes86

that liquid they put in your eyes that screws up your vision for half a day was fun. I wanna do that again.

/threadjack

yea, my OSO came outta no where for me to take my eye exam... i had to study for a huge test the next day and couldn't focus in on crap, lol... i didn't do too bad on the test, both and eye and writted at school

oorah

MasterHaynes86

is the flight physical a full physical and then they check your eyes?

I've gone to MEPS and have had an eye test done on me... I wonder if that was just for my packet submission. I dont think I've actually signed any paperwork aside from my intent to go to OCS and all those other standard forms, like the Bill Clinton Law (dont ask dont tell, i think)

either way

oorah

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
is the flight physical a full physical and then they check your eyes?

I've gone to MEPS and have had an eye test done on me... I wonder if that was just for my packet submission. I dont think I've actually signed any paperwork aside from my intent to go to OCS and all those other standard forms, like the Bill Clinton Law (dont ask dont tell, i think)

either way

oorah

The flight physical is a bunch of tests. They did a regular eye test and then put the drops in and did the other test. There were 11 of who went down. They called us up for the different tests in different orders. I happened to do my eyes last. Some did it first.

When I was trying to contract to go to OCS, the OSA took me to the local walmart and they did the eye test for me. At MEPS, they just did the quick little chart tests. your MEPS test is just to get an idea if you qualify. The eye test at NAMI is the one that really matters. I'm sure its possible to pass the MEPS test and fail the NAMI one. that would really suck. I also have heard of people "appealing" to NAMI after failing the MEPS one. So you'll still have to pass the flight physical one. MEPS is just for your contract