• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FITREP 101

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Suppose a Navy JO in a Joint unit is getting a FITREP from a senior officer from another service. Does RSCA even matter? How would the Navy (PERS) even find out the RSCA, and how would the other service learn about the Navy JO’s FITREP?

Normally, the RSCA goes on the summary letter that is sent with your FITREP. Presumably, the "other service" RS is still doing a Navy FITREP for you, so then, by instruction, the summary letter should be included with the number.

As for the other service knowing about what that RS gave you...<shrug>

taxi1

pilot
Suppose a Navy JO in a Joint unit is getting a FITREP from a senior officer from another service. Does RSCA even matter? How would the Navy (PERS) even find out the RSCA, and how would the other service learn about the Navy JO’s FITREP?
I would ask the reporting senior to explicitly state it in Block 42 if it is true, "Member is well above my reporting senior average". It's iffy that it makes it into the Tank otherwise.

I did this on Army reports I wrote.
Presumably, the "other service" RS is still doing a Navy FITREP for you, so then, by instruction, the summary letter should be included with the number.
That's just a Summary Group Average for that collection of reports, isn't it?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Not really, it's kind of hohum you're one of one from your IA/joint/weird tour. Unless there were two or more of you ranked against each other, but even then it would be mildly helpful, since they're going to instinctively wonder if Colonel Whatshisnutz really understood the ancient dark arts of Navy FitRep Writing.

Administratively, the stuff @Gatordev mentioned was true in my case, a 1/1 written by Army LTC directly observing me for several months. In my case, the Colonel cared enough about it to get me to put him in touch with a Navy CDR (who was my "other" boss and also good) so they could talk O5 to O5 and him make sure he wrote it properly. I appreciated that from both officers but in the end, it was a "shrug" in my record.

If it's a billet that your community regularly fills then never mind what I just said.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reporting Seniors from other services also have a RSCA for all the Navy personnel they've ever rated, so that is what's used. They can even look it up on BOL (or ask their EA to do so :) ).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not really, it's kind of hohum you're one of one from your IA/joint/weird tour. Unless there were two or more of you ranked against each other, but even then it would be mildly helpful, since they're going to instinctively wonder if Colonel Whatshisnutz really understood the ancient dark arts of Navy FitRep Writing.
You'd be surprised. On a major staff you are more likely than not to be in some kind of summary group with fellow Naval Officers. That's why knowing what needs to go into your FITREP, and the ability to explain it to your Joint RS is important. The GOFOs all understand this and rely on their staffs so it doesn't get fucked away, as there's almost always a post-major command guy from your designator to consult.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would ask the reporting senior to explicitly state it in Block 42 if it is true, "Member is well above my reporting senior average". It's iffy that it makes it into the Tank otherwise.
This is unnecessary. It's on your PSR.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'd be surprised. On a major staff you are more likely than not to be in some kind of summary group with fellow Naval Officers. That's why knowing what needs to go into your FITREP, and the ability to explain it to your Joint RS is important. The GOFOs all understand this and rely on their staffs so it doesn't get fucked away, as there's almost always a post-major command guy from your designator to consult.
Or you'll be in a reserve det with its own Navy CO. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's just a Summary Group Average for that collection of reports, isn't it?

It's very possible you are correct. I thought the RSCA was on there, but in hindsight, perhaps not. It's been a minute since I had to deal with this stuff.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
This is unnecessary. It's on your PSR.
Yes, but not until 90+ days after the end date of the reporting period, so you can use it to see how you actually fared, but not real-time while getting debriefed. That said, I can't imagine asking a CO about his risk mid-debrief.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yes, but not until 90+ days after the end date of the reporting period, so you can use it to see how you actually fared, but not real-time while getting debriefed. That said, I can't imagine asking a CO about his risk mid-debrief.
Why not?

ETA: they know the answer already.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you're conflating two different conversations. Taxi suggested that a Joint RS put it in Blk 41 so a board sees it. That is not necessary, and would be weird/wasted space.

Every RS should be discussing their RSCA during FITREP debriefs - especially for that individual's HW FITREP. Those that don't are engaging in leadership negligence/malpractice. If you're not passing along your corporate knowledge of how FITREPs/boards work to your officers at every opportunity, you're doing it wrong.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Every RS should be discussing their RSCA during FITREP debriefs
?????????????????

I had to threaten an IG complaint because one of my O6 CO's did not want to debrief me and the other O3's. He had delegated that to one of the O5's. Funny enough, this same O6 was force booted from the Reserve because he had his clearance revoked. He worked for the Navy as a govvie and was caught taking classified home "to work on it." From what I was told, it was not a single occurrence. Arrogant pr*ck.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
?????????????????

I had to threaten an IG complaint because one of my O6 CO's did not want to debrief me and the other O3's. He had delegated that to one of the O5's. Funny enough, this same O6 was force booted from the Reserve because he had his clearance revoked. He worked for the Navy as a govvie and was caught taking classified home "to work on it." From what I was told, it was not a single occurrence. Arrogant pr*ck.
I'd have to re-read the instruction to be sure, but delegating debriefs is allowed - not something I'd do, though. What would the basis for your IG complaint have been? Presumably much more to the story.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd have to re-read the instruction to be sure, but delegating debriefs is allowed - not something I'd do, though. What would the basis for your IG complaint have been? Presumably much more to the story.
At least happened on the ship I was on. Air Boss as HOD debriefed us. But he was also a post-command guy so maybe their was some special trust going on there.