• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FITREP 101

BOMR822

pilot
Slightly off topic, but at what point do I as a butter bar need to start worrying about fitreps? We were not given almost any information at OCS besides that it was "up or out" after JG. How does one submit a fitrep, and when? I am assuming that we don't really do them/it doesn't matter until we finish flight school? Thanks.

croakerfish

pilot
Slightly off topic, but at what point do I as a butter bar need to start worrying about fitreps? We were not given almost any information at OCS besides that it was "up or out" after JG. How does one submit a fitrep, and when? I am assuming that we don't really do them/it doesn't matter until we finish flight school? Thanks.

You’ll be Non-Observed until your fleet squadron. Once you get there your DH and senior JOPA should be helping you. Learning how to draft your fitrep for your boss is an ongoing process.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Command admin will tell you when you need to submit FITREPs.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
There used to be a class during API called BOLTC. Someone with authority finally listened to someone with a good idea and the course is now called DIVOLC and occurs at the end of the FRS. If the instructors don't mention FITREPs, that's the time to ask (as well as talk to your DH once in the fleet)

Pags

N/A
pilot
There used to be a class during API called BOLTC. Someone with authority finally listened to someone with a good idea and the course is now called DIVOLC and occurs at the end of the FRS. If the instructors don't mention FITREPs, that's the time to ask (as well as talk to your DH once in the fleet)
All the squadrons I was in the XO or OPSO would usually run a gouge session on how the tank works, what are seemingly good words and what is actually faint praise (shows great potential) and what are buzzwords you want in there.

DAMN THE TORPEDOES, PRESS 100 NOW
TURKEY TROTS TO WATER, WHY HAD THIS OFFICER NOT BEEN DEEP SELECTED?
YOU MAY PRESS 100 NOW GRIDLEY

I wish I had thought of the above when I was writing FITREPS, would have been perfect.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a good practice to use a portion of the initial check in discussion and midterm and FITREP debrief time to do some career counseling and "understanding how the Navy works" discussions. How boards work, what verbiage you need in your FITREP to be competitive, the bubba list and how screen groups work, etc. If your CO/XO aren't doing that for you, bring it up as questions during these interactions.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
All the squadrons I was in the XO or OPSO would usually run a gouge session on how the tank works, what are seemingly good words and what is actually faint praise (shows great potential) and what are buzzwords you want in there.
You must've been in good squadrons. We had none of that in my JO tour, and I offered it up as OPSO during my DH tour - never came from Front Office or other DHs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You must've been in good squadrons. We had none of that in my JO tour, and I offered it up as OPSO during my DH tour - never came from Front Office or other DHs.
It's interesting as I have a bunch of second tour JOs now, that I can tell how much of this type of career training their 1st tour COs did. When I have a JO that doesn't know what RSCA is, or have never seen a bubba list, that's a big disappointment in their previous leadership.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
We had it in my fleet squadron, and that is to the credit of the XO who gave it.

I gave the same thing to the various reserve unit officers when I was at a NOSC, sort of a "wardroom" we had. I just kinda figured it was my job, no need to explicitly see JO professional development in writing in any job description or task list but it helped a lot having had an example set for me back when I was a jg.

Most of those guys aren't going to have the stuff explained all in one place. A few of them had important points to contribute too, including some reserve-specific stuff and some community-specific stuff. (We covered other topics on various drill weekends, such enlisted evals or other topics to reinforce the leadership continuum courses.)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What’s a bubba list?
It’s a list of all the officers in an aviation community ( VAQ, for example), from the most senior to most junior. It’s broken down by screen group and lists your next admin and stat milestones. It’s a useful planning tool for FITREPs and for understanding one’s timing. I don’t know if it exists outside of aviation. It’s produced by PERS-43.