• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FITREP 101

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It shows each person's present duty station and PRD, their prospective duty station (when there is one), and their last few as well. The big versions can have several codes for professional schools, qualifications, masters, etc., so it can also be an, uh, treasure trove of privacy sensitive information. It's also really valuable for JOs and DHs to find out about some of the more off the beaten path stuff. Detailers and community managers sometimes like to control that information for different reasons (some good but some selfish too).

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It does exist outside of PERS-43 (e.g., space cadre) and for a while it was close hold to front offices.

if that’s changed, glad to see it!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It shows each person's present duty station and PRD, their prospective duty station (when there is one), and their last few as well.
They removed that info about 15 years ago, at least on the VAQ list.

robav8r

None
Contributor
You know, the OP could actually spend a little time reading this:

Attachments

• 1610.10.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 43

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some FITREP stuff is personal preference of your reporting senior (so pro tip, look at the last one you got from your skipper when drafting your next one) but highly recommend asking your DHs for theirs if they’re willing to share. I’ve sent out mine from my JO tours and pointed out the goods and not so goods for reference.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I figured as much and that's much more appropriate to sanitize it. The older versions were really fantastic gouge though.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Honestly, you should educate yourself as much as possible on FITREPs. It's the single most important thing that will impact your career that the Navy teaches you jack sh*t about.

Some CO's are well versed at FITREP writing and impact, while others honestly suck at it. I learned this when I say on a couple of O4 boards as an assistant recorder. I am of the opinion that PCO's should go through ongoing FITREP training and a "FITREP" PQS that should be created. During my time as a recorder, I saw the impacts that a poorly written FITREP could have on someone's career.

Last edited:

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Okay, here's the quick and dirty on FITREPs for most NAs (Maritime and Helos)
  • Only two things matter: highwater breakout EP and highwater trait average > RSCA.
  • No 1 of 1 EP? No breakout EP? highwater trait average <= RSCA? You are almost certainly now non-due-course.
  • You may have to ask your CO their RSCA. They don't have to give it to you.
  • Block 41 needs to recommend you for CO or Flag early and often; otherwise is a negative signal.
  • Block 42 first and last line are a little important. The middle truly does not matter.
  • In large wardrooms you are sorted/groomed early - i.e., within your first year aboard or less.
  • Individual trait ratings are determined after the fact by your summary group's rack and stack + CO's desire to manage RSCA - alone, they are not really indicative of performance. (Lookin at you, EO)
With this knowledge you should take action by:
  • Come out of the gate HOT when arriving at a new command.
  • If not given, ask for CO's RSCA every time you debrief a FITREP.
  • Put "Flag Officer" and "CO Afloat" in Block 41 starting with your first observable FITREP.
  • First and last lines of Block 42 should read like you walk on water.
There's other stylistic things - document your performance with hard metrics, etc. - but that's covered a lot. The other stuff above isn't really covered much.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, here's the quick and dirty on FITREPs for most NAs (Maritime and Helos)
  • Only two things matter: highwater breakout EP and highwater trait average > RSCA.
  • No 1 of 1 EP? No breakout EP? highwater trait average <= RSCA? You are almost certainly now non-due-course.
  • You may have to ask your CO their RSCA. They don't have to give it to you.
  • Block 41 needs to recommend you for CO or Flag early and often; otherwise is a negative signal.
  • Block 42 first and last line are a little important. The middle truly does not matter.
  • In large wardrooms you are sorted/groomed early - i.e., within your first year aboard or less.
  • Individual trait ratings are determined after the fact by your summary group's rack and stack + CO's desire to manage RSCA - alone, they are not really indicative of performance. (Lookin at you, EO)
With this knowledge you should take action by:
  • Come out of the gate HOT when arriving at a new command.
  • If not given, ask for CO's RSCA every time you debrief a FITREP.
  • Put "Flag Officer" and "CO Afloat" in Block 41 starting with your first observable FITREP.
  • First and last lines of Block 42 should read like you walk on water.
There's other stylistic things - document your performance with hard metrics, etc. - but that's covered a lot. The other stuff above isn't really covered much.
This may be a community difference, but your next milestone as a LT (O4 and Operational DH) is what should be addressed in Blk 41. Putting recommendations for CO or flag in a LT FITREP is a waste of space, and I have not ever seen that done (YMMV). You can start mentioning flag in an O5 FITREP, but you should really focus on next admin and stat milestone. My presumption is that this is the standard throughout Tacair.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone could write a Masters or Ph.D. thesis on how stack ranking and forced distribution fuck up culture and create perverse incentives, but it really comes down to this sentence right here. I mean, sure, there's really no choice on the inside besides "play the game," but still. There's a reason Microsoft stagnated for 10+ years under Ballmer and why the wheels have fallen off all Jack Welch's companies and those of his proteges.

Still waiting to see if the FITREP reform that's always around the corner ever gets round the corner, and if it's worth a shit when it does.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Someone could write a Masters or Ph.D. thesis on how stack ranking and forced distribution fuck up culture and create perverse incentives, but it really comes down to this sentence right here. I mean, sure, there's really no choice on the inside besides "play the game," but still. There's a reason Microsoft stagnated for 10+ years under Ballmer and why the wheels have fallen off all Jack Welch's companies and those of his proteges.

Still waiting to see if the FITREP reform that's always around the corner ever gets round the corner, and if it's worth a shit when it does.
In history it is interesting to note how many of the great leaders of our past wouldn’t have survived eight years in today’s system. So it goes.