• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Aries I - Orion CEV Suborbital Test Launch

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
First new man-rated rocket.

Does no one at NASA realize how gay that sounds?

"Despite its long, slender shape, and enlarged upper portion, it managed to stay upright through to the completion of its mission." - Beans, 5 seconds ago.

Now that sounds gay.

And NASA's much smarter than that, they're now calling it a "human-rated" rocket. Now it's strong enough for a man, - you get the idea.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
How can anyone NOT be excited to pieces about this? The end state of this is going back to the MOON. Maybe I'm just geeking out a bit, but this is something that should be applauded and looked at with great pride.

We're going back to the moon, people. Get excited.

We MIGHT be going back to the moon, but if NASA doesn't get it's budget that little dream is going to float away for another 40 years or so. Don't jinx it.

yak52driver

Contributor
We MIGHT be going back to the moon, but if NASA doesn't get it's budget that little dream is going to float away for another 40 years or so. Don't jinx it.

Like the movie said, "No bucks, no Buck Rodgers". IMHO, one of NASA's biggest failings is getting the public support is needs to get the budget it needs for missions. Without the public telling congress it wants NASA to do moon/mars missions, it isn't going to happen. NASA does VERY cool stuff, but the populace needs to know about it and support it more.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I especially loved was the recent review panel's conclusion that the Ares program would cost more than originally budgeted...therefore, we should scrap it all and start from scratch. Obviously, that's a much wiser investment, and would be completed in much less time, than continuing to fund a program that's already got to actual flight test articles, and uses existing hardware and proven designs.

This is what happens when you ask accountants for engineering advice.

It's a fucking rocket. You bolt a capsule to the top, point it upwards, and light the sonofabitch. Goddard and Tsiolkovsky thought up this stuff when airplanes were still made of wood. We designed manned rockets with slide rules and sent them to the moon with computers with less processing power than a modern vibrator. There's no way in hell another design could do things significantly better, cheaper or faster. It continually boggles my mind that the US Government will never, ever do things the simple way if there's an absurdly demanding alternative available.

yak52driver

Contributor
What I especially loved was the recent review panel's conclusion that the Ares program would cost more than originally budgeted...therefore, we should scrap it all and start from scratch. Obviously, that's a much wiser investment, and would be completed in much less time, than continuing to fund a program that's already got to actual flight test articles, and uses existing hardware and proven designs.

This is what happens when you ask accountants for engineering advice.

It's a fucking rocket. You bolt a capsule to the top, point it upwards, and light the sonofabitch. Goddard and Tsiolkovsky thought up this stuff when airplanes were still made of wood. We designed manned rockets with slide rules and sent them to the moon with computers with less processing power than a modern vibrator. There's no way in hell another design could do things significantly better, cheaper or faster. It continually boggles my mind that the US Government will never, ever do things the simple way if there's an absurdly demanding alternative available.

Show me a government program that doesn't. Guess healthcare reform can be scrapped right now.

As to your comments regarding rockets, I agree. That's why I think the private sector will ultimately get us to the moon again. Rich guys with money that want that moon vacation will be the ones who pay for it, Space Ship One and Two are examples of that now. If they put a Hooters on the moon THEN congress would have a reason to want to get there....

Raptor2216

Show me a government program that doesn't. Guess healthcare reform can be scrapped right now.

As to your comments regarding rockets, I agree. That's why I think the private sector will ultimately get us to the moon again. Rich guys with money that want that moon vacation will be the ones who pay for it, Space Ship One and Two are examples of that now. If they put a Hooters on the moon THEN congress would have a reason to want to get there....

So that they could tax it...bastards.

Big Biff

Got Em
Alot of experts, Buzz Aldrin being one, believe the US has no reason to spend money going back to the Moon. He went on a series of talk show circuits explaining that it would be more feasible letting India or China foot the bill for new Lunar Expeditions. He prefers we focus on landing on astroids and then ultimately Mars.

Then again... too much time with Snoop Dog and Soulja Boy might have gotten to him...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-06-22-buzz-aldrin-raps_N.htm

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Did you mean "focus on asteroids and ultimately mars," because otherwise, that post makes no sense.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The only possible utility I can see in going back to the moon is to try and develop low-G heavy industry / shipyards.

Personally, I am also waiting for the corporatization. It is the way of most exploration. The military paves the way, natural resources attract private interests,and governments catch up as their subjects, err citizens need to be taxed on the far side of the ocean... I mean moon.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
The only possible utility I can see in going back to the moon is to try and develop low-G heavy industry / shipyards.

Personally, I am also waiting for the corporatization. It is the way of most exploration. The military paves the way, natural resources attract private interests,and governments catch up as their subjects, err citizens need to be taxed on the far side of the ocean... I mean moon.

I prefer the George Mallory answer. 'Because it's there.'

Exploration for exploration's sake isnt good enough?

yak52driver

Contributor
Parachutes didn't deploy properly on solid rocket, rocket hit the ocean's surface too hard, dented the side of the first stage.

091029-ares1x-dentclose-02.jpg