• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Aries I - Orion CEV Suborbital Test Launch

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I think it's going to do exactly what they say it's going to do. Sorry, but we're a lot better at rockets now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
That is so exciting. I just can't wait to see the Ares V---that is going to be one seriously powerful bitch.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Love the name.

I'm totally a shoe in for the 2012 astronaut class, what with all my other Orion time in the logbook.:icon_smil

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think it's going to do exactly what they say it's going to do. Sorry, but we're a lot better at rockets now.

Well-timed post. After the OP, all I could think of was that test-fire scene of "The Right Stuff" where shit just blew up repeatedly, test after test. :D

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well-timed post. After the OP, all I could think of was that test-fire scene of "The Right Stuff" where shit just blew up repeatedly, test after test. :D

They did all that just for the movie too.

/worried about some people's historical frame of reference sometimes.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure they blew up a LOT of rockets before they got it to "work".

All in front of the TV cameras too. The footage of the rockets blowing up in The Right Stuff was all real......in case anyone was wondering.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
It's solid fuel, not likely. It would just burn, a lot.

A solid-fuel rocket can go boom. The channel through the middle of the doughnut-shaped segments is very carefully designed to give the right surface area for the right burn rate. If the slightest crack develops, the surface area and then the burn rate can go out of control. If the resulting pressure increase is more than the rocket's housing can handle, then boom. You can try it w/ a model rocket motor. Just whack the side of the motor w/ a hammer before you rig it up. It doesn't like it when you do that.

yak52driver

Contributor
Here's kind of a cool shot of Aries and the Shuttle on launch pads.

091026-atlantis-ares1x-02.jpg