• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

finding a wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

plmtree

If you're worried about finding a wife/husband, marry somebody that's already in the service. That's what I did. I think its easier to deal with. We both understand that operational commitments might separate us for long periods of time, you will both understand when its your turn to stand OOD and that you have to stay at work overnight, or that you have to go to the field for a week and she/he can't visit even if 'the field' is right up the road. And the best part is that your spouse won't make a fuss about it becuase he/she gets to do the same stuff. You also get to talk in military jargon and your spouse will actually understand you without you having to explain everything civilian-style!

confused_pilot

HAHA av8tor wow, very classic sh!t. So basically, just lock her up in the basement while your gone and everything will be just fine? But that comfort inn thing was quite good. As far as issuing wives, what was that about 130 men go down in the sub and 65 couples come up?!? WOAH, dont ask, dont tell.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Originally posted by plmtree
If you're worried about finding a wife/husband, marry somebody that's already in the service. That's what I did. I think its easier to deal with. We both understand that operational commitments might separate us for long periods of time, you will both understand when its your turn to stand OOD and that you have to stay at work overnight, or that you have to go to the field for a week and she/he can't visit even if 'the field' is right up the road. And the best part is that your spouse won't make a fuss about it becuase he/she gets to do the same stuff. You also get to talk in military jargon and your spouse will actually understand you without you having to explain everything civilian-style!

I won't be getting married anytime soon, but was just curious how the military treats you. You mentioned the ups, but what happens when one gets orders to Japan, and the other to CA?

palmettoguy4519

Confused Wife,
I know what you mean; you should try looking at woman of other nationalities. The asian woman generally are more loyal to Americans thus being able to handle long periods of leave
bigeyes_125.gif
. I have also heard that australian woman can stay "down under"
bunny_125.gif
while you are gone. good luck, and if all else fails, there is always palmila
blindfold_125.gif
, later dude

jthorp

Cricechex,
I've tagged along with my Marine through all his training (now at advanced Props). Sometimes I feel like I get to spend as much if not more time with him in flight school than I would if he had a civilian job. Most of the time it's really tough, and he has to study A LOT, but other times aren't so bad, and life is pretty nice, especially when the weather's too bad to fly!
bouncy_125.gif
Also, since he's in training, I have the peace of knowing he won't be sent to Iraq any time soon
weeping_125.gif
I would never have traded getting to be here with him and be part of this, helping him out, helping him study!!
Let me stress, this is only my personal experience. Others may disagree, but I'm so glad he didn't wait until after flight school to marry me!

If your girlfriend (or anybody's for that matter) needs someone to talk to about it, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my e-mail.

Good luck finding that great woman, Confused Pilot!!

stats

I went to BUD/S, I have a masters degree, and I am applying for flight school. My problem is the same addressed in the opening: finding a girl that believes she can accept the Navy life. Most girls run, or look at me scornfully...I live in a liberal environment. Back at my master's institution, I had the opposite problem, which has not been addressed, that being the avoidance of FrogHogs and Uniform Groupies. Girls hear SEAL or Ranger and they think of hard bodies jogging down the strand. They hear flight school and they think of Top Gun. Be careful: the groupies get off on the uniform and the status, and they'll be just as happy to be banging the next guy in a flight suit or bdu's if you're gone.
Take your time, be honest with women from the very beginning and don't get too full of yourself. A) you're not there yet, B) if you act like the moron's we see in ROTC all the time acting all rah rah, you'll just attract the groupies, since most of them don't know any better themselves. It's a recipe for disaster, I've seen it a lot. Stay low key, let her know it's a job with some very special and very demanding circumstances. Don't use the fact that you can potentially 'take care of her' be a tool in the relationship. It should not be a bargaining chip.
Finally, there is no magic formula. Like regular guys, dating for the military men is a numbers game. It's just that military men have to filter more of the trash out of the system. Those of you that have not been enlisted, you don't know what I'm talking about. Suffice to say there are some unconventional marriage arrangements and practices - you'll see once out in the fleet.
You're going to get shot down. Toss it and move on. You will find someone, and you'll probably just "know it" when you do.
Good luck.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Originally posted by stats It's just that military men have to filter more of the trash out of the system. Those of you that have not been enlisted, you don't know what I'm talking about. Suffice to say there are some unconventional marriage arrangements and practices - you'll see once out in the fleet.

ya, I encountered some ladies who had "arrangements" with their husbands(some actually did-most didn't) back in the day. Very disconcerting to this very loyal & idealistic 17 yr old. It still colors my views on relationships, & probably the root cause of my deep distrust of women.
boggled_125.gif

Not every couple was like this, but there were enough to seriously make me averse to marrying while in the service. Oh well. I've said it a million times & I'll say it again, "Westpac Widows" are evil.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't handicap yourself. Kadena O'Club Friday nights are worth the wait.

twidget

Deskaholic
There are plenty of relationship horror stories on both sides. We used to joke
boggled_125.gif
about pulling out for a cruise and hearing a chorus of clinking noises as the wedding rings hit the pier. Then there was the usual BS about "what happens on liberty, stays on liberty".

Good news though; when you find the right person, and are EQUALLY committed to a relationship and respect each other, it can and will work.

I met my wife in A-school, and married her 6 weeks later. We just got damn lucky finding each other and everything working out, since we really didn't get to know until we lived together for a few months. The first year was pretty tough, but luckily we're both hard-headed enough that we wouldn't give up. We stuck with it long enough to figure out that we really do like each other, and still do 12 years later.

gagirl

My husband and I have been married 13 years this year. We got married when we were 20 after 3 months of dating and beat all the odds against us. To me, I think that serving your country is one of the most honorable things a person can do and I support it 110%. I hate the separation, but the homecomings are worth it.
eyebrows_125.gif
It seems to help the marriage to me. Makes you realize what you have time and time again. I couldn't turn my back or cheat on the man that is possibly in harms way or doing his part to protect this country and his family. What an honor it is to be his wife. It's the way I've always thought. I'm so proud of him.

Be sure to tell the one your with the truth upfront and don't paint it at all. The Med floats/deployments are not fun and you don't ever get used to them. If they love you and can appreciate the fact you want to serve this country then they can probably hack it. It will be tough, but for the most part the military life isn't too bad. If any of your girlfriends or new wives have any questions please feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to answer any questions.

Good luck to all of you. All of us girls aren't that bad!
icon_smile.gif
Like the previous posts watch out for the groupies.

Anne

jthorp

Cricechex,
did you get engaged recently? If so, Congratulations!

EA-6B1,
did you ever get any good info out of my husband?

Status
Not open for further replies.