• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finance Degree w/ Pilot Dreams

Hi all,

I went to college and graduated with a 4.0 in Finance. I work in the Finance world but it's not what I thought it would be. I've always wanted to fly in the Navy and while I'm young the idea seems still very feasible.

My first question is, does not having a STEM Degree set me back in the application process? I've done extremely well on the Math & Reading Comprehension portion of the practice ASTB. But I do not know much about Mechanicals. I have great leadership experience and can get some strong letters of recommendation (former Naval Officers, and maybe some politicians).

Second, what all should I be studying for the Mechanical Comprehension portion of the ASTB? I've been reviewing basic electricity & circuits, along with Work, Power, & Simple Machines.

Thanks.

Meyerkord

pilot
Hi all,

I went to college and graduated with a 4.0 in Finance. I work in the Finance world but it's not what I thought it would be. I've always wanted to fly in the Navy and while I'm young the idea seems still very feasible.

My first question is, does not having a STEM Degree set me back in the application process? I've done extremely well on the Math & Reading Comprehension portion of the practice ASTB. But I do not know much about Mechanicals. I have great leadership experience and can get some strong letters of recommendation (former Naval Officers, and maybe some politicians).

Second, what all should I be studying for the Mechanical Comprehension portion of the ASTB? I've been reviewing basic electricity & circuits, along with Work, Power, & Simple Machines.

Thanks.
Not having a STEM degree won’t set you back. Your ASTB scores and your GPA are the two biggest factors for getting picked up. There are plenty of people with no STEM background.

As for the studying, check out the “1001 questions about the ASTB” thread. Lots of people post study guides there and they should contain sample problems. That was my best resource when I was studying for the test. Start at the last page and work your way backwards to see the most recent and relevant information.

Sonog

pilot
Tips to success from someone who used to be in your shoes:

1.) Don't fear rejection
2.) Research the ins and outs of this site and others in your free time (search function), no one is going to spoon feed you answers. Your desire for professional knowledge should borderline consume you.
3.) Shut up and listen.
4.) Prepare like you will never get into OCS. In doing so, you are always preparing for the next best thing. Keep your resume fresh. Always crush the job that you are doing.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
When I was an IP at the HT's I had a Music Major from Tulane as a student...she was a trumpet player. She was good flight student. No problems moving through the syllabus at all.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Journalism major. Highest math I ever completed in college was Algebra II. Unsure how I made it into the cockpit without ever taking anything with "calc" in the title. :)

ijsha_brooks

JustDoIt!
Hello all. I have been reviewing the 1001 thread for some time however I have yet to answer my own question. Has there been any active duty personnel picked up while having less than 30 credits remaining on their degree? I was told I can submit with 30 credits remaining as long as I can complete the remaining classes within a year. I will have about 12 credits remaining on my degree for a Bachelors in Technical Studies, and wanted to see if I would be better waiting until I completed my degree or just submit. I am in 12 week classes, and I am more than capable of completing 12 credits in one year.

exNavyOffRec

Hello all. I have been reviewing the 1001 thread for some time however I have yet to answer my own question. Has there been any active duty personnel picked up while having less than 30 credits remaining on their degree? I was told I can submit with 30 credits remaining as long as I can complete the remaining classes within a year. I will have about 12 credits remaining on my degree for a Bachelors in Technical Studies, and wanted to see if I would be better waiting until I completed my degree or just submit. I am in 12 week classes, and I am more than capable of completing 12 credits in one year.

That is not an option for AD, the checklist specifically says to submit degree.