• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Favorite ports of call

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
In CENTCOM, toss up between Dubai/Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. The UAE cities are richer and more....ridiculous (never seen so many hot girls in a single place in my life), but I thought the scene in Bahrain was more down to earth.
I'll take Dubai everyday and twice on Sunday's over those cheating taxicab drivers in Bahrain. Not to mention anchoring out vs pier-side.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bahrain was pierside last time I pulled in, but I'm with you on Dubai... though Bahrain does sport the epic brunch. :)

jtmedli

pilot
I'll take Dubai everyday and twice on Sunday's over those cheating taxicab drivers in Bahrain. Not to mention anchoring out vs pier-side.

Bahrain was pierced when we were there. But yeah, those cab drivers sucked. Getting suits there was pretty awesome though.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Bahrain was pierced when we were there. But yeah, those cab drivers sucked. Getting suits there was pretty awesome though.
Guess they finished dredging whatever they needed to in order to get a CVN pierside in Bahrain, but even so that wouldn't change my opinion of it. Just was never a fan of it or the wares they pedaled in the soucks. Dubai just seemed much more civilized.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Either way, between standing shore patrol (I'm sorry, "Ship's Liaison Group") and the line to the Burj Khalifa, my time in Mideast ports has involved an inordinate amount of wandering around malls. Which look exactly same as American ones, minus the larger amount of dudes in thawbs and chicks in hijab or niqab. Meh.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Hollywood Tailor in Dubai was amazing. The guys in Bahrain...less so IMO. You cannot make a great suit with one set of measurements. I'm kicking myself for not getting two in Dubai when I had the chance.

I'd certainly say Dubai > Bahrain for the simple reason that I found Dubai more western friendly and they had more interesting things to do, places to eat, bars, etc. I hated Bahrain during my first visit but liked it much more on subsequent trips once I got comfortable with the lay of the land (and I knew where to buy booze without dealing with the base policies). I think the biggest part to realize is libbo off a CVN is going to be rough just due to the large number of people, all the stupid duty requirements, liberty boats, shore patrol, etc. My friends on USNS or CruDes floats had much better tales to tell, and more interesting places.

BigRed389

None
Hollywood Tailor in Dubai was amazing. The guys in Bahrain...less so IMO. You cannot make a great suit with one set of measurements. I'm kicking myself for not getting two in Dubai when I had the chance.

I'd certainly say Dubai > Bahrain for the simple reason that I found Dubai more western friendly and they had more interesting things to do, places to eat, bars, etc. I hated Bahrain during my first visit but liked it much more on subsequent trips once I got comfortable with the lay of the land (and I knew where to buy booze without dealing with the base policies). I think the biggest part to realize is libbo off a CVN is going to be rough just due to the large number of people, all the stupid duty requirements, liberty boats, shore patrol, etc. My friends on USNS or CruDes floats had much better tales to tell, and more interesting places.

Yeah my time in Bahrain was on a det out there, so I had a vehicle and could go pretty much wherever I wanted. Consistent and good group of liberty buddies too. Made a big difference.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
the craziest!!...for sure NAS Cubi.....Olongapo/Subic City......when the boat was in--look out!.....

this stuff just never loses its pop.....