• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Family Life as a Naval Aviator

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is stolen from a wise boss of mine...

Naval Aviation and Naval Officer is a profession. It is in no way a "job". If you're trying to compare our lifestyle to that of a 9-5 guy at Innitech, then it's not really fair. You need to compare it to the sacrifices that come up with other professions...such as Law or Medicine. Sure, being a doctor might have you at home in your own bed more nights than an Aviator, but you'll be working looooong hours, with probably just as much time spent with the family as an Aviator would have. Other competitive professions would have you away from your family just as much as ours. My father-in-law is in business development, and he probably spends less time at home than I do.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I am a christian man, and the most important thing in my life is family....
This is offered from the perspective of one who's walked your walk (in a way) and kinda' walked away (in a way) ... :)

If your mate & wife & best friend in the world is "the one" ... then you could spend 100 years in the Navy/Marines and your relationship will only grow stronger ... it doesn't matter whether you are IN or OUT of uniform ... right is right and strong is strong ... and it will get "righter" & "stronger" as time goes on.

BUT: if you are going to serve your country w/ a clear mind and a clear conscience ... your country may have to be the priority and come "first" on occasion. Family second ... it's the natural order of things when you are a serving military Officer.

And since you mentioned it; there's another object of my inquiry: you openly advertise that you are a Christian ... and that's great; at least you know your mind, your heart, and your desires ...

But: do you/would you have any problem "going downtown" and killing "them" ... i.e., killing other human beings ... maybe killing a LOT of them for what, at the end of the day, might be VERY secular and VERY self-serving nationalistic reasons or even pure-simple "economic" reasons ... you know, if the mission requires it ???

... a mission which is
sometimes laid upon you by a leadership group that you are required to follow -- made up of potentially cynical, mission-oriented, non-believers??

As a "Christian man" ... you need to be able to face these potential moral & spiritual dilemmas ... and there's no time like the present to do it.

Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition ... ??? :)

UMichfly

pilot
None
...there is Seville, Captain Fun's, Bamboo Willies, Florabama, Haverty's Angels and of course Sammy's....I'm telling ya, quality girls.

Do you mean Arerty's Angels or does the Great Bunk22 have a thing for furniture stores....not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

AAAAAvBiGaQAAAAAAEf0tg.jpg

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot

Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition ... ??? :)

spectacular quote!

My sister, married to a Marine GnySgt with 3 year old triplets told me this when I decided to pursue a career in the Marines:

"It goes: Honor, Courage, Commitment, Family. First three in any order."

It's how they've made it work.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Do you mean Arerty's Angels or does the Great Bunk22 have a thing for furniture stores....not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

AAAAAvBiGaQAAAAAAEf0tg.jpg

Just like me to confuse sweet girls with furniture....probably a reason for that:eek:

Someday

Dude?
My dream was never to grace the heavens, but rather to have a family. I've got wings on my chest, which feels great. But I've also got a divorce and a string of failed relationships which can be tied directly to my choice of profession.

This job will take more commitment, more stoicism than you can possibly imagine. If you are going to try and be an aviator, you need to recognize that family and friends will come a distant second to your job. Go in eyes wide open and be prepared to sacrifice.

SD

exhelodrvr

pilot
exhelodrvr-

i by no means ment to imply, that those who are or are not a specific religion value family any more or less than the other. I apologize if i came across that way.

i would also like to give thanks to everyone who has commented so far. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

No, I didn't take it that way. I'm a Christian also, I was trying to point out that faith in general, and that faith in particular, shouldn't (IMO) play a role one way or the other in this decision.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just like me to confuse sweet girls with furniture....probably a reason for that:eek:

Because you watched Soylent Green at some point?

"Furniture" in the World of Soylent Green (comes as part of furnishings in executive apartments)

2006314495981300695_rs.jpg

270px-Soylent_Green-1.jpg

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I was hoping i could receive some advice from the people on this board....

I am 23 years old and have recently been selected with an aviation contract to OCS 200. This is probably hard for some to understand, but instead of feeling excited as many hope their whole life for this type of opportunity i am in a way scared, or un-sure of what to do... Is the life of a Marine Officer for me or not?

I am a christian man, and the most important thing in my life is family. Those who know me, would label me as perfect for the job (DI athlete on National Championship team, high GPA, leadership etc) but when it comes down to it, i am the one who will be living the life of an Aviator along with the perks and hardships that come with it. One of my life goals is to meet a woman and start a family. I guess my question is how difficult is it to start a family as an Pilot in the Marine Corps? it seems with the constant traveling from OCS/ TBS, to all the various spots for flights school, and then finally a sea tour with constant deployments, when does one really have the time to make a family a reality? I feel like i have already lived the college life at this point i.e running around with the guys, etc. and feel more ready to settle into a career, work hard, and start a family. Am i looking into the completely wrong career field?

I guess i am just looking for some advice from others who have the same ideals, and have been in my shoes.... Thanks for the advice from those who contribute

If the most important thing to you is family, then why are you thinking about getting a dangerous job that will keep you away for months at a time?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Because you watched Soylent Green at some point?

"Furniture" in the World of Soylent Green (comes as part of furnishings in executive apartments)

2006314495981300695_rs.jpg
Funny...I just found one of those in my hotel room in Manila.....

(On a side note, I'm pleased to announce that in the 20 years since my last visit the PI hasn't changed......)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
On a side note, I'm pleased to announce that in the 20 years since my last visit the PI hasn't changed......
It's been the same ever since Dewey was a MIDN. I think the PI was the genesis of my sig line ... :D

God, I love that place. :D

lmnop

If the most important thing to you is family, then why are you thinking about getting a dangerous job that will keep you away for months at a time?

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I love my job, and I'm honored to serve. That said, my family is my number one priority, and that's the case for most guys I know and have served with.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
tkracer,

As some of the more experienced -- ancient -- folks have stated, it can work and you can keep your principles while pursuing a career and marriage. I think the key is in choosing the right one. Good luck to you.

"If your mate & wife & best friend in the world is "the one" ... then you could spend 100 years in the Navy/Marines and your relationship will only grow stronger ... it doesn't matter whether you are IN or OUT of uniform ... right is right and strong is strong ... and it will get "righter" & "stronger" as time goes on." A4s.

trkracer

I just wanted to say thanks again for all of the responses. After re-reading my initial post i realize I came off more as wondering if "i could find a girl," when in actuality i was really curious about was others experience with their time in the Military and their family dynamic. Regardless, everyone seemed to answer my question anyway. Thanks for the incite, i feel much more confident, and informed on the things to keep in mind when creating the proper balance between family and work.
-trkracer