• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Family Disapproval - what do I do?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
As Emily Litella would say, "oh...well that's different....nevermind."

I would feel like a complete jackazz, except that this popped up on my home page today as a recent thread. I just overlooked the original post date. I guess my attention to detale was a little off. ;)

Either way, I hope that the insight will be helpful if someone else is having similar issues, because what I told my bro had him shedding a tear or two.

You are absolutely right, it is good info that might help someone else. I just wanted to make sure you knew that you probably wouldn't get a response from the OP. Thanks for posting it though.

red_ryder

None
Ohhhh lol...well I did trick people into following me...

"According to your join date, it seems that you’ve been thinking about this for quite some time now." :))

I forgot to see how old it was myself, just thought it was relevant info for support purposes

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
My mother did the same thing to me before I joined the Navy. She would tell me that it's the wrong choice and that I wouldn't enjoy my experince. Though some of the transition to the military type life was hard, I do not regret joining the Navy or have any second thoughts about what I would have done different. The pay isn't bad for doing something you love and you get to also experince a lot of the world that you would never get a chance to enjoy. I highly recommend the aviation side of the Navy to anyone (I haven't experinced any other part) because I can't think of another job that lets you experince the same emotions and possibilities that the military gives you.

If you join, there is a good chance you will look back a few years from now and think of the time your dad talked to you on the phone and laugh. There are always the few though that don't have a good experince, but most go in with a bad attitude anyways.

Good luck!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto

2 years resurrected. Wonder what happened to SRoque??

I didn't look at date when I started reading the thread and was surprised when I finally did. It seems so fresh and vibrant and I was laying on rep points right and left for all the great advice and for SRogue for seeing things as they are despite all the family pressure. I, too, wonder how she fared in the end and hope she did sign on the dotted line.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I didn't look at date when I started reading the thread and was surprised when I finally did. It seems so fresh and vibrant and I was laying on rep points right and left for all the great advice and for SRogue for seeing things as they are despite all the family pressure. I, too, wonder how she fared in the end and hope she did sign on the dotted line.

I just want to clarify again, that my comments weren't my usual sarcastic ones. I think all the new (and old) posts are great contributions that could help people out in this situation. I just wanted to make sure that no one was expecting a response from the OP.

brownshoe

Contributor

At first I didn't notice the date of the original post either. Some great advice was given by "AW" members.

Steve

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was able to contact SRoque and she is still a student, currently engaged in completing a MSc at the pretigious London School of Economics (LSE) and concentrating on Conflict Resolution.

f18mike

Banned
Now that I am seriously considering Navy OCS after school my dad has flipped out on me to the point that it is instigating a falling out.

He's making wild claims that I won't be happy in the Navy that I'm throwing away my life and I'm being disillussioned by (his words) "brainwashed people." He claims I will have no chance of being able to do what I want in the Navy and I won't make it into what I want to. Furthermore, he's even declared that anything anyone tells me about getting a good enough salary to get my college loans paid back or getting grad. school paid are all "lies" and in the end I'll end up wasting the future years of my life for nothing and being miserable - the fact that he called me up yesterday to scream at me through the phone was no help either and now there are doubts in my mind.

Furthermore, he knows that I have been considering the Navy for more than a year and I didn't hear the wild protests he's suddenly given me this weekend - like he's lost his mind.

To you people there - advice: 1. Can you reassure me that he's getting his facts all wrong? 2. Has anyone else had problems getting family blessings for their decision and if so, how have you dealt with it? 3. Can you honestly say that joining was the best decision in your life and you wouldn't take it back for anything?

I ask this because I understand that in signing those papers there's no going back and if there's something I strive to do that I think I would love and have a chance in doing I'd really like to go for it in spite of risks. But my dad is weeding doubts in my head that's making me question my decision.

Any advice, as always, is deeply appreciated.

Your a big boy and you can make your own decisions. Don't let anyone talk you out of your goals. You are the one that has to live with the decisions you make.

PAO84

I'll join the club of parents who are furious about their children going into the Navy. As my mother said last night, and I quote, "only white-trash-trailer-park -people go into the military. Go to law school." However, her boyfriend was a Navy pilot and flew for fed ex for 20 years. . . Seems problematic to me.