• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Facebook

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fencipede said:
I'm struggling to find the difference between wasting one's time on a blog and wasting it on roughly half of the threads in this forum. Chuck Norris agrees.
The difference is that on AW I get to engage in a little quasi-professional banter, trade sea stories with guys I don't see at work or will likely never encounter in the fleet, and maybe pass along a pearl or two to the young-folk. Here, I'm not publishing a diary of personal events for all to see - what's that all about anyway? In case nobody heard me the first time - NOBODY CARES! :D

Brett

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Brett327 said:
The difference is that on AW I get to engage in a little quasi-professional banter, trade sea stories with guys I don't see at work or will likely never encounter in the fleet, and maybe pass along a pearl or two to the young-folk. Here, I'm not publishing a diary of personal events for all to see - what's that all about anyway? In case nobody heard me the first time - NOBODY CARES! :D

Brett

nailed it.

fo·rum ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fôrm, fr-)
n. pl. fo·rums, also fo·ra (fôr, fr)

a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
c. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.
2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.
3. A court of law; a tribunal.
www.dictionary.com

What Brett said is spot on, this is a forum for discussion of ideas/events.

Blogs, myspace, facebook, are all essentially online biographies and diaries.

fencipede

Texas is the Rock
Brett327 said:
The difference is that on AW I get to engage in a little quasi-professional banter, trade sea stories with guys I don't see at work or will likely never encounter in the fleet, and maybe pass along a pearl or two to the young-folk.

I suppose I was thinking more of the threads that frequent this forum that are all "Guys, I have this problem. I have a bloodsucking girlfriend, and I live here, and I major in this subject, and I want to earn X dollars, and what are my chances of getting jets? Can you please tell me how to live my life?"

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Are blogs self righteous rants? Most of the time. I can't stand reading blogs written by people I know let alone by complete strangers.

That being said, it is out right dorky how much time I spend reading this forum. Anyone who spends as much time as many on this site do communicating anonymously with others are geeks too.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
DocT said:
That being said, it is out right dorky how much time I spend reading this forum. Anyone who spends as much time as many on this site do communicating anonymously with others are geeks too.

But not self-righteous geeks, right Brett?

I agree there is a difference between forums and blogs. Blogs is a singular view, a forum is many, hence you do get extra social skills added in. But spending too much time here (the internet) makes me feel sapped of some of my precious life. Like I just wasted good useful time, like I should be out making the longer lasting lightbulb or dressing in spandex and stopping crime, and not in front of my computer.

On a more personal level, with AW I get to be exposed to the jargon of the community, since I'm new to this Naval Aviation deally (spending my days peeing in the A-pool. They warned there was Wee-See, but they lied.) Sorry for the bad pun.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Kirk was the Sh!t. Picard Blows! :D
My favorite is the beavis and Butthead Startrek spoof: "Number one, I order you to take a number two...huh huh, huh huh. Fire the fruiton torpedoes! :D

bbtng.gif

Brett

BurbPunk

Our unit actually has a facebook of it's own on its website (thankfully in the restricted section). It's more of a facebook in the original sense in that it is simply a picture of all of the Marines, Officer Candidates and Midshipmen separated by class (1/C-4/C or Marine/OC) in uniform with their name, hometown, major and intended community. It was pretty helpful at the beginning of the year when freshman types like myself were trying to figure out who in the hell everyone was.

Does any other unit do this?

On another note, I hadn't heard of unit staff spying on MIDN through the real Facebook but it certainly seems like something to be cognizant of.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We don't put our battalion's pictures on the internet, but at our unit we have a board with the pictures of everyone in the battalion on it separated by class.

And on the facebook note we also got the lecture, but last year one of the LTs who is gone now got on and started looking at our profiles. We didn't know it but one of the kids in my class had some, um, not good stuff on his, so he gets called into the LTs office to be told to knock it off. He then sends us an email saying "FYI guys, LT on facebook...."

BurbPunk

Ok, I mis-spoke, actually when I checked, three of the unit staff are on facebook and apparently we did have some MIDN busted a while back (maybe last year) for pictures of them drinking.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
nobody at my unit got in "trouble" exactly, but some pretty questionable pics from a Vegas trip were taken down, and some underage mids were "asked" to remove their party pics from the public domain. Not that any crime is a "good" crime, but I think that most LT's know the reality of college life....still I guess I understand our CO's sentiment.....a lot of these blog-type sites have the potential to make us look unprofessional to the general public if we don't use good judgement about what we post......