• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 RAG locations and BRAC rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedj

106 is not in the process of phasing out the legacy, as far as i know. its still going strong. 106 is expanding to encompass the E/F rag as well as the charlie rag. it has the super but is still a couple of months away from taking cat I's. so........as of right now there is three hornet rags, one E/F rag, and another E/F rag in the process of standing up(IE..106) as far as the rags relate to cat I's.

im obviously biased towards the west, however, the fog does make for some disappointing days.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
Latest BRAC list

Yep, same list i was talking about last week. What goes around, comes around.

It is still not a "BRAC" list, it is not official, but as i understand the list that will be given to SECDEF for approval to be given to BRAC.

Jeff29

Science Project
Slightly off the subject, but has anyone heard anything about North Island? I know that the pierside of the base is quite busy, but it seems that with the S-3's going away, it will be hard to justify keeping the airfield open for the helo squadrons.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nasni

Jeff29 said:
Slightly off the subject, but has anyone heard anything about North Island? I know that the pierside of the base is quite busy, but it seems that with the S-3's going away, it will be hard to justify keeping the airfield open for the helo squadrons.
Why? That's the way Mayport is - just 60s and fewer squadrons than at NASNI. Also, AIRPAC is there at NASNI as well as the FACSFAC that runs the whole SOCAL W-291 complex.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mayport

smittyrunr said:
Actually the S-3s are at NAS Jax- Mayport's big worry right now is the Kennedy
You misunderstand what I'm saying. I know the S-3s are in JAX. I'm holding up Mayport as an example of a base that has only helos, much like NASNI would be when their S-3s are finally gone. Why would they worry about JFK? Its days are numbered, that's no secret. Furthermore, the basin can not support a nuke carrier without extensive construction for a refuel facility, which has been talked about for years. There are plenty of other ships in the basin to justify Mayport's future.

Brett

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Airgreg- You betcha. And they better not move us up to Mugu. For now we still have the C-9s and apparently now or soon will have 737's (C-whatever). Not sure on any details for the latter, more or less just VR-57 gouge.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Patmack, you got the link to that list available? That list looks a lot like the one I saw about a year ago which was unofficial specualtion. I saw Vance was on that list and word going around is that they will be safe now with Altus and Columbus being the AETC bases that will close.

Physicx

Banned
The noise problem is not the jets,its the helos.That what is so goofy with closing Miramar,eveyone says it jets but its not.Look how much money the goverment could make on that piece of land.What confuses me is why they still have a runway at El Toro?

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Why would they worry about JFK? Its days are numbered, that's no secret.

Because one of the rumors about the Navy's $4 B budget cut this year is that when the president's budget comes out in the next few weeks it will say to cut the JFK this year. Of course the politicians here in Florida are screaming, the politicians in Virginia (where a $250 million overhaul is supposed to happen later this year), and probably, eventually, a certain senator from Mass. will be screaming. Instead of going away in 2018, it may be decommed by October. They're not worried about Mayport being closed- the Navy needs more than one surface concentration on the East Coast, they want to keep the prestige of having a carrier here.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jfk

smittyrunr said:
Because one of the rumors about the Navy's $4 B budget cut this year is that when the president's budget comes out in the next few weeks it will say to cut the JFK this year. Of course the politicians here in Florida are screaming, the politicians in Virginia (where a $250 million overhaul is supposed to happen later this year), and probably, eventually, a certain senator from Mass. will be screaming. Instead of going away in 2018, it may be decommed by October. They're not worried about Mayport being closed- the Navy needs more than one surface concentration on the East Coast, they want to keep the prestige of having a carrier here.
JFK was never supposed to be around in the long term. I don't know where you're getting 2018 from. People in Mayport would love to get rid of her anyway. It was a blessing in disguise when Sara left; the traffic problem was cut in half. Plus, it's not like the ship's company was contributing a significant amount to the local economy. Politicians can b*tch all they want, but JFK needs to be decommissioned. She's a huge piece of crap. My sense is that Mayport will get their deep water refuel facility and get another carrier or three down the road.

Brett

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett,
I don't know what you are thinking, but the 3,000+ ships company brings a lot to the Jacksonville economy. The airwing squadrons located in Jax do too. I'm sure if a carrier goes away, so will 1 airwing. The JFK has been scheduled to be on active service until 2018 for quite some time now, that is a fact regularly reported in the news. As for your comments about the traffic problems being fixed when the carrier leaves, won't it just get worse if a Nuclear carrier is stationed in Mayport since they have a larger crew than a conventional carrier? You call the Kennedy a huge piece of crap, but I just finished a deployment on her and that piece of crap served her country very well. Yes she has some well documented maint issues, but she is scheduled to begin a $400 million overhaul later this year that should address these problems. I personally am not in favor of cutting a carrier from the fleet, but I have to believe that there are people much senior to me and a whole lot smarter than I making these decisions. Either way, I do not make my arguments based on calling something a "huge piece of crap".

HooverPilot

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JFK, Mayport, Blah Blah Blah

HooverPilot said:
Brett,
I don't know what you are thinking, but the 3,000+ ships company brings a lot to the Jacksonville economy. The airwing squadrons located in Jax do too.
HooverPilot
The Airwing squadrons are in JAX, are they? Does that include the Hornets, Prowlers, E-2/C-2 (nice transition, BTW). Seems to me that the only Airwing squadrons in JAX are the S-3s (for now) and the helos, both of whom would be there regardless of where the boat is. Let us not descend into craziness here, yes? Reread my post and I think you'll find that it makes sense.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.