• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 RAG locations and BRAC rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
hornetframer said:
... Hope to be back there though within a couple years going to the RAG (FRS) to be a WSO.

I understand F/A-18 RAG is moving to Oceana? Understand RAG in Oceana is up and running, but limited to F-14 transitions, at present, with plans to expand. It is this is bad scoop, somebody step up and straighten me out!

Longer term, Miramar is to be closed and MC RAG is to be moved to Cherry Point? 2005 BRAC has Miramar closing, unofficial at this point.

Congrats SNAMOM. Know you are proud, as well you should be.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
I know that VFA-106 in Oceana is the East Coast RAG for F/A-18 A/B/C/D and VFA-125 in Lemoore is the West Coast RAG for F/A-18 A/B/C/D and VFA-122 is the Super Hornet RAG F/A-18 E/F. VMFAT-101 at MCAS Miramar is the Marine RAG also.

Honestly I do not think that VFA-122 is going to move. There could be another Super Hornet RAG set up there in Oceana. It is hard enough to move a fleet squadron with 13 aircraft (tools and parts included) and 230 people (not counting families). Just imagine how hard it is for 50 aircraft and 1000 people (Staff and Students). (Note: Not sure how many aircraft are in VFA-122). Just my thoughts.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
UInavy said:
... there's no "official" BRAC list yet ...

Absolutely unofficial. Commission does not even meet for about 4 more months. The most prominent list was leaked from the "staff". Have the list with "rationale" for each, if someone is interested. Too long to post. Here is what was said about Miramar:

""Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California - Budget problems caused
by high-priced aircraft will force the Corps to eliminate over a dozen
flying squadrons during the next decade. While Miramar is a beautiful
base, it is surrounded by a booming urban area whose vocal residents
complain about noise, which is why the Navy happily left in 1999. It
has the highest off-base housing costs of any air station, and
training is limited by congested civilian air traffic and quiet time
for the locals. Moreover, San Diego desperately needs a new airport
and Miramar is the only practical location. Dispersing Miramar
aircraft to other Marine Corps and Navy Air Stations will save the
Corps millions of dollars each year. If such a move is considered too
costly, the Corps can "sell" Miramar to the city to fund new
facilities elsewhere.

Since ten Marine F/A-18 squadrons are now permanently assigned to Navy
carrier wings, the Navy has plenty of room at NAS Leemore in central
California to host Marine F/A-18 squadrons. F/A-18 squadrons can also
return to MCAS Kanehoe Bay, and two must move to MCAS Iwakuni in Japan
if the Corps wishes to maintain three squadrons there since the new
carrier commitments make squadron rotations impractical. The two
helicopter training squadrons can move the MCAS New River, while
others will be disbanded as helicopter shortages caused by the V-22
program require several deactivations. Remaining squadrons can be
squeezed into MCAS Camp Pendleton, MCAS Kanehoe Bay, MCAS Yuma, or NAS El Centro. Other options are Edwards AFB where two Marine reserve
helicopter squadrons are based, or build hangers and landing pads at
29 Palms and move a few squadrons there.""

:icon_smil

airwinger

pilot
The pentagon released a statement about a hoax email sent to various military inboxes.
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123005576

I'd seen the excerpt above from www.g2mil.com the full article is here
http://www.g2mil.com/2005.htm

I'm very skeptical on the validity of G2mil, apart from statements like:
" Ideally, the Army will return to its traditional role of defending the United States and redeploy combat units to the Mexican border, a mission it abandoned after World War II. "

I've been looking at his site since 2002. Carlton Meyer, the editor of the site seems to be vaguely anti military and my analysis of him is that something happened during his infantry career that caused him to 'lose' his faith. Almost every article I've read has a negative slant.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
airwinger said:
... I'm very skeptical on the validity of ...

Agree. Be skeptical. My former boss, C3I, called the Internet the "Information Super Landfill."

The email I received, partial quote above, from a colleague had this attached as originator:

Tony Brescia
Director of S&T Resources and Program Development
CNO OPNAV N911D
2000 Navy Pentagon
Washington, DC 20350-2000
voice: (703) 601-1789
fax: (703) 601-2050
email: anthony.brescia@navy.mil

Quickly add that one should be skeptical of this as well. Email address looks bogus. I did not try to verify, as even if it were true, it would be an unofficial, by definition, ergo have no interest.

My input to this mess started when a friend in VA Beach Government said they had approved an expansion of NAS Oceana - to accomodate Superhornet RAG relocating from Lemoore-. I know that half of this is true, just was interested in finding out of latter part was true.

And my apology to SNAMOM for hijacking this thread!

Congrats again SNAMOM. Wishing you the best.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
not to try and hijack it any further but I wanted to comment on someones statement about a superhornet RAG over in Virginia that is limited to transitioning Tomcat drivers to the hornet.

I have a good friend who was in VF-211 over in Virginia. He is now over at Lemoore transitioning to the super hornet. Once his squadron is done they will return to Virginia with the F models.

Jedj

Im stationed at lemoore and as I understand it 122(previously the only superhornet rag, and first ever super hornet squadron) is now going to be the west coast superhornet rag and 106 is ramping up to become the east coast super rag, as well as continuing to be the east coast legacy rag. its going to be one big rag out there. and 125 isnt going anywhere. dont know anything about the marines.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
... That's crap... .

Agree. Lot of sad Navy folks when Miramar ceased to be a NAS.

Thanks to all for RAG information. i had a personal, selfish reason for wanting to know the answer to the Super Hornet relocation question. Thought it rather strange, but could not figure out any other reason why Oceana would be expanding.

Regarding BRAC, we will just have to wait until mid-year to find out.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Patmack18 said:
My understanding of the situation was that a shoe admiral gave it to the Corps. as part of the punishment and fallout from tailhook. I could be way off though.

Eight years after tailhook? It may have played a part, but I think it was because of all the rich yuppies whined loud enough to get El Toro closed and they had to stick the Marines somewhere. Ironically, that is what is happening to Miramar now.

Physicx

Banned
They don't mind the jets it the helicopters.But getting rid of Miramar isn't going to do much good.NASNI has tons of helos and so does Pendelton.It will interseting to see if they close it.And Patmack thats the reason I heard why they gave it to the Marines due to the tailhook scandal.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
when i was up at LSO school (yes Marines can go there) a few months ago, the instructors there were saying that 106 was slowly phasing out as a legacy Hornet RAG and was slowly ramping up to become the East Coast Super Hornet RAG ... 125 & 101 were going to be the only legacy Hornet RAGs

s/f

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
122 is also part of the dual RAG phase transition planned for when the G model starts to enter service in '08.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.