• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 RAG locations and BRAC rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
Latest BRAC list from
Deputy Assistant to the Secretary of Defense (Intelligence Oversight)
CLOSURES FOR 2005
BRAC List - Just off the Press
Army bases currently proposed for closure or realignment in 2005
include:
* Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania
* Detroit Arsenal, Michigan
* Fort Belvoir, Virginia
* Fort Buchanan, Puerto Rico
* Fort McPherson/Gillem, Georgia
* Fort Monmouth, New Jersey
* Fort Monroe, Virginia
* Fort Polk, Louisiana (to realign)
* Fort Richardson, Alaska
* Fort Sam Houston, Texas
* Fort Shafter, Hawaii
* Lima Army Tank Plant, Ohio
* Natick Soldier Center, Massachusetts
* Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
* Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
* Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois
* Sierra Army Depot, California
* Yuma Proving Ground, Arizona
Air Force base closures and realignments include:
* Altus AFB, Oklahoma
* Beale AFB, California
* Brooks AFB, Texas
* Cannon AFB, New Mexico
* Columbus AFB, Mississippi
* Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
* Goodfellow AFB, Texas
* Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota
* Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts
* Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
* Los Angeles AFB, California
* McConnell AFB, Kansas
* Nellis AFB, Nevada (to realign)
* Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina (to realign)
* Shaw AFB, South Carolina
* Vance AFB, Oklahoma
The Air Force will lose 2,260 military and 2,839 civilian manpower
positions, and 1,055 reserve drill authorizations next year, according
to the 2004 force-structure announcement released July 23. Many bases,
both active duty and reserve component, are affected by the realignment.
In many cases, units will gain aircraft and missions, while others will
pare down.
Besides manpower reductions, the realignment formally announces the
retirement of the C-9A Nightingale and KC-135E Stratotanker aircraft.
According to Air Force officials, the 20 C-9s are being retired because
of reduced-patient movement, range limitations and increasing
maintenance and upgrade costs. The aeromedical evacuation mission will
become a requirements-based system using all passenger-capable aircraft.
The service will retire 44 of the Air National Guard and Air Force
Reserve Command's 43-year-old KC-135Es next year, replacing them with 24
KC-135Rs from the active-duty fleet. By the end of fiscal 2006, the Air
Force will have retired 68 of the KC-135Es.
Naval base closures and realignments include:
* Ingleside Naval Station, Texas
* Naval Postgraduate School, California
* Naval Air Station Meridian, Mississippi
* Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst, New Jersey
* Naval Recreation Station Solomons Island,
* Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane, Indiana
* Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren Division, Virginia
* Navy Supply Corps School, Georgia
* New Orleans Naval Support Activity, Louisiana
* Pascagoula Naval Station, Mississippi
* Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, New Hampshire
* Saratoga Springs Naval Support Unit, New York
Marine base closures and realignments include:
* Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, Georgia
* Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, California (realignment)
* Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California
* Marine Corps Mountain Warfare School, California
* Marine Reserve Support Unit, Kansas City
* Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, California (realign or close).

I don't know why people insist on putting these "BRAC list" up when it has been shown over and over that they are nothing but hoaxes. Someone obviously put a lot of thought into this but THIS IS NOT THE BRAC LIST!. While some of the stuff about what the USAF is cutting might be true that does not make the list true. Some of the funnier ones are Nellis (realign what?) and Belvior (they have a hell of a lot of national stuff there, why would they give up the premium space in the DC area?).

I wouldn't trust ANY of these BRAC lists anytime soon.

BTW, even the Washington Post questioned the cutting of the carrier while praising most of the other cuts in an editorial today.

cindy

Flash said:
BTW, even the Washington Post questioned the cutting of the carrier while praising most of the other cuts in an editorial today.

HaHa.. All Democrats are singing the same toon, I bet even Mikey Moore is singing same. Retiring a ship with the Kennedy name, leaving one with Gipper Reagan? Not without a big fight. And, JFK is not a BRAC item but rather what Navy offered up if budget is cut.

By the by .. Agree Navy will probably not go to a 11 CV Navy. But in Washington budget politics it is called the "Washington Monument Syndrome".

And agree that is not an official BRAC 2005 list, because there is no such thing, yet! Total hoax? my .02 sez it is not.
:sleep_125

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett,
I do understand you post, but I am dissagreeing with you on a few points. 1. JFK has been scheduled to decom in 2018 for quite a while now, that isn't a new number, 2. The ships company does contribute a very large amount to the community and economy, I mentioned the 2 squadrons because they have nearly 600 personnel in them (I just detached from one of them), & 3. I don't think the JFK is a piece of crap and I've never heard a member of the community say that they would want to get rid of her. I do however agree that Mayport will eventually get a Nuke, but that will bring as many or more people to cause traffic problems as the JFK so that point is moot.

HooverPilot

P.S., I hope that was admiration at my transition and not a slam, there are a lot of E-2/C-2 guys on this board and I'm thrilled to be going to that community. Their attitudes and personalities are the closest to the people in the Viking community.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
P.S., I hope that was admiration at my transition and not a slam, there are a lot of E-2/C-2 guys on this board and I'm thrilled to be going to that community. Their attitudes and personalities are the closest to the people in the Viking community.
We are welcoming you into ALL our communities. I know the new Prowler converts are glad to be done being everyone's gas b*tch.

Brett

Fred

HooverPilot said:
Brett,
I don't know what you are thinking, but the 3,000+ ships company brings a lot to the Jacksonville economy. The airwing squadrons located in Jax do too. I'm sure if a carrier goes away, so will 1 airwing.
HooverPilot

There is not an airwing in Jax. The only base in the world that houses an entire airwing is NAF Atsugi, Japan. Most recently CAG 17 based out of Oceana (with squadrons from several locations) deployed on the JFK.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fred said:
There is not an airwing in Jax. The only base in the world that houses an entire airwing is NAF Atsugi, Japan. Most recently CAG 17 based out of Oceana (with squadrons from several locations) deployed on the JFK.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, we were discussing the two (2) airwing squadrons that are in Jax (VS & HS) and the approx 600 personnel in those squadrons. I was a part of CAG 17 until last week, so I am familiar with the last deployment on the JFK.

Fred

Why would those squadrons need to leave if the JFK is decommissioned? (besides the fact the VS squadrons are going away of course) It's not like the Jax squadrons only deploy on the JFK.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fred said:
Why would those squadrons need to leave if the JFK is decommissioned? (besides the fact the VS squadrons are going away of course) It's not like the Jax squadrons only deploy on the JFK.

These squadrons won't necc'y have to go away, but in the post we were discussing that if a carrier were to be decommed, then an airwing would probably go away too.

Fred

HooverPilot said:
These squadrons won't necc'y have to go away, but in the post we were discussing that if a carrier were to be decommed, then an airwing would probably go away too.

Doubtful. The GWH Bush (CVN 77) will be commissioned in 08.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fred said:
Doubtful. The GWH Bush (CVN 77) will be commissioned in 08.

yes that is true, but the USS Kitty Hawk (CV 68) is retiring in 2008. Normally when the Navy gets a new carrier, one is retired. Just like happened with the Connie & the Reagan (CV 64 & CVN 76). So there could still be an excess of 1 airwing & that is what we were discussing.

Gabe2surf

Nellis has a very high probability of being realigned. Its in the same boat as Miramar with the city growing around the base from three sides. The realignment would be to nearby Indian Springs Aux Fld. It is about 50 miles north of Vegas. The field is used by the AF already and has plenty of room to expand.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
yes that is true, but the USS Kitty Hawk (CV 68) is retiring in 2008.

If that's the case... does that mean no more CVN in Japan?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
squeeze said:
If that's the case... does that mean no more CVN in Japan?

There has never been nor will there be (maybe) a CVN in Japan, the Kitty Hawk is conventional -> CV. The Japanese are paranoid about having american nuclear things in their country. Go figure.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ya ya ya
i meant a boat.... added the N by accident

sue me.. im not a squid
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.