• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Explanation of "scroll" process and Timeline of events until receipt of COMDOCs

3912DCO

If I were a recruiter, that is probably what I would tell "us" too, just so that we leave them alone until they come in. That gives them two-months where they don't have to tell us, "No, they're not in yet."

There are a few recruiters (or past recruiters) that tread through these threads and perhaps one or more could shed some light here. Am I correct in saying, that recruiters are motivated to get things moving when they get ComDocs? Doesn't this close out a file for them and that is something that they want to do because it is a quantifiable bullet point for their FITREP/Eval?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
If I were a recruiter, that is probably what I would tell "us" too, just so that we leave them alone until they come in. That gives them two-months where they don't have to tell us, "No, they're not in yet."

There are a few recruiters (or past recruiters) that tread through these threads and perhaps one or more could shed some light here. Am I correct in saying, that recruiters are motivated to get things moving when they get ComDocs? Doesn't this close out a file for them and that is something that they want to do because it is a quantifiable bullet point for their FITREP/Eval?

I don't know exactly how the system works now, but when I was doing DCO recruiting from '97 to '02, the recruiter didn't get final credit for the gain until proof of the first drill was submitted. So, in that case, doing the commissioning paperwork is not the end of the road as far as the recruiter is concerned. You still have to make sure that the affiliation with a reserve unit is taken care of, and then follow up to get a copy of the drill/muster sheet after the applicant has done their first drill/s.

Recruiters are usually goaled for specific numbers by program. This is why, if (for example) the intell numbers have been met for a FY or quarter, but some other programs are dragging, even a highly qualified intell applicant may have a hard time getting the recruiter's attention, at least immediately. The numbers will always change as the next quarter/FY rolls around and the needs of the Navy change, so it can pay to be a persistent applicant (just don't become a PITA). Because the DCO application process can take so long, a good recruiter will maintain contact with applicants that aren't needed right now, but can be ready to submit an application when the numbers open back up.

Edited to add: Keep in mind that the numbers at any one time can vary from region to region and maybe even from recruiter to recruiter within a region. NRD New England may be all set with supply DCOs while the guys out west are still trying to make goal. Forums like this are a great way to exchange information, but they can also lead to misunderstandings when a chop applicant from LA posts that his recruiter is all over him to get his paperwork in, while a prospective applicant in Boston reports that she can't get a local recruiter to give her the time of day.

3912DCO

I don't know exactly how the system works now, but when I was doing DCO recruiting from '97 to '02, the recruiter didn't get final credit for the gain until proof of the first drill was submitted. So, in that case, doing the commissioning paperwork is not the end of the road as far as the recruiter is concerned. You still have to make sure that the affiliation with a reserve unit is taken care of, and then follow up to get a copy of the drill/muster sheet after the applicant has done their first drill/s.

Recruiters are usually goaled for specific numbers by program. This is why, if (for example) the intell numbers have been met for a FY or quarter, but some other programs are dragging, even a highly qualified intell applicant may have a hard time getting the recruiter's attention, at least immediately. The numbers will always change as the next quarter/FY rolls around and the needs of the Navy change, so it can pay to be a persistent applicant (just don't become a PITA). Because the DCO application process can take so long, a good recruiter will maintain contact with applicants that aren't needed right now, but can be ready to submit an application when the numbers open back up.

Edited to add: Keep in mind that the numbers at any one time can vary from region to region and maybe even from recruiter to recruiter within a region. NRD New England may be all set with supply DCOs while the guys out west are still trying to make goal. Forums like this are a great way to exchange information, but they can also lead to misunderstandings when a chop applicant from LA posts that his recruiter is all over him to get his paperwork in, while a prospective applicant in Boston reports that she can't get a local recruiter to give her the time of day.

OnTop,
Awesome gouge! Thank you.

Did you ever have a time where you told someone they should probably hold off because quotas had been met in your region and you thought that a solid candidate would have almost no chance? Perhaps better to wait until new numbers would give a competitive candidate a chance?

X

xxxCharliexxx

Thank you, thank you!!

I am in Utah at the moment so I'll fly to Oklahoma to sign them next Friday. They can be forwarded here but I want to sit with the people I've worked all of these months so I can feel comfortable with what I'm signing. I've had such a good recruiting staff and feel most comfortable with them.

I'm scheduled for my INDOC on the 6th and scheduled for NIOBC on the 20th of Feb. I'm also trying for an April DCOIC date but won't hear back definitely until next week on that.

Thank you again, I'm the second person that I know of today that have received their comdocs so, at least something is moving in Millington. Hope your wait is a short one!!!

X

xxxCharliexxx

Thank you goopscoop and Intel_warrior. My processor had said just that very afternoon (about an hour before getting the news) that things were 'hung up' and he wasn't sure if I was going to get my comdocs anytime soon. So this was a sigh of relief. There were other selects in the office and they are still waiting on their final select letters.

I don't know what catapulted me through or what factors were different if any at all to differentiate us. I do have mixed feelings though, I am very glad (jumped up and down, screamed a peep, and hugged the nearest person when I got the email on my phone...extremely professional stuff), but I have so met so many people through this process that haven't gotten through yet so I still feel their 'pain'.

Now that I have comdocs, I'm not sure where to start posting lol. I'm lost!

-Charlie

goopscoop

Charlie,
I ran across this last night and thought it might help illustrate the whole Quarterdeck / courtesy issue when boarding. Pretty cool video from the enlisted point of view on an Arleigh Burke destroyer. Also, to help on the customs and ceremonial stuff you can't go wrong with a couple of great books published by the U.S. Naval Institute Press, http://usni.org notably, The Newly Commissioned Officer's Guide, by Fred W. Kacher, Naval Ceremonies, Customs and Traditions by William P. Mack, The Bluejacket's Manual by Thomas J. Cutler, and The Naval Officer's Guide by Mack, Seymour and McComas. Usually best place to buy these is on Amazon, even when compared to prices on the Naval Institute's catalog w/member discount. Lots of reading but hey, information is what we are all about...right? :icon_wink
Goop

smloan2

The final select letters should start pouring in for everyone. I received an email copy of my final select letter yesterday. It was dated January 14th. At the bottom of the letter is all the information that you need to go online and fill out a quota request to attend DCO school. I completed that right away and sent it off. On the advice of my recruiter, I followed it up with a phone call to Ms. Joyce Young at (404) 841-4310. She is the one who processes the request and gets your class quota. I had originally requested the July class, but that one is already full. I was placed in the March 14th DCO class. She also told me that the April class will be very large, for whatever that's worth. I would highly suggest going to the DCO web site and see which classes will fit into your civilian schedule the best. When you request a class quota, you will be asked to rank your top 3 class dates, and they fill up fast. I got my 2nd choice, even though the web site listed my first choice as still being open. Good luck to all and hope to see you at DCO school.