• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ERAU Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot
You'll have more fun explaining that the Navy has flying Warrants. Again.

You needed a 4 year for that? I thought the point was to get guys flying with a AA/AS.. But then again, I left LAMPS for a "warrantless" community, so I haven't seen any flying warrants outside the prop VTs.

I'll PM to keep the topic about ERAU. I'm sure the CWO program will spark much more conversation in a month or two.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
I've "no dog in this fight" (as a "GED only" type of guy ...LOL!) but Daytona's ERAU Engineering Department received a pretty favorable write-up in the business section (page A12) of yesterdays (3/13) edition of The Daytona Beach News-Journal.

My "Google-Fu" is minimal ...can not manage to post the link ...but might be worth it for interested folks (OP?) to look it up, read it.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I'll PM to keep the topic about ERAU. I'm sure the CWO program will spark much more conversation in a month or two.
The CWO program is dead. All flying warrants are being given the option of remaining warrants or flying as line officers, but not both. It was a fun ride while it lasted, but institutional intertia killed it.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
My two cents on the whole ERAU thing?
You have multiple people here from Naval Aviation and "the show" telling you that ERAU is a very expensive and time consuming way to do something that is much easier to do somewhere else. You asked for advice, there it is. Maybe it wasn't what you wanted to hear?
It is a legitimate academic university and you will learn to fly. You can do the same thing for much cheaper through a state university and local FBO. You can also get a degree that is going to help you outside of aviation. The only thing that the airlines who require a degree care about is that you have it.
You are also locked into a very expensive college where you may decide that you want to do something else. That is much easier to do at a state school, even one with a flying program (ie university of North Dakota, Oklahoma University, etc).
Did I mention that it is really expensive?
As someone who has taught and dealt with its graduates, I can tell you that going to school there vs. getting a private pilot license elsewhere will get you absolutely no advantage in naval aviation.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
You can also get a degree that is going to help you outside of aviation.

Great advice. People are always surprised when I tell them how many doors having a BS in electrical engineering can open... I've been contacted about or offered jobs in industries spanning aerospace, high tech, bio tech, business consulting, and even finance... and almost none of them were in just "typical" engineering positions.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Please don't waste your time or the taxpayers money on a degree from ERAU. Here are three potential outcomes:

1. You don't make it into the Navy. There is no guarantee that you will actually go into the Navy, even with a 4 year NROTC scholarship. Plenty of ROTC studs get NPQd, academically suspended (highly unlikely at ERAU), or just plain decide that the military isn't for them. In the event you do not go into the military, but have a degree from ERAU, it is like having some certificates with no college degree. ERAU is not even a third-tier school. When future non-airline employers see ERAU on your resume, it will quickly find its way into the circular bin, and you will find yourself moving free bags around the Southwest baggage terminal.

2. You go into the Navy, but you have difficulty in flight school. One thing I've observed in the fleet and as an instructor is that people who major in aviation stuff (whether it be from ERAU or something similar) have binary results: either they have a leg up on their peers when it comes stick and rudder, and they can hang with the tactics because they are naturally gifted, or they have an overconfidence in their stick and rudder abilities and fall significantly short in the headword department when conditions get challenging. While I'm sure you've already put yourself into the preferable of the aforementioned categories, I think you should consider that you will be in a class with students who went to legitimate colleges and universities, and who have been intellectually challenged beyond what you will experience at ERAU.

3. You have no problems in flight school, rock it, and get your platform of choice. At some point you will come to a crossroads and be faced with some career decisions. Two of the few items that are part of your permanent record are your graduate institution and your major field of study. It is safe to say that you will never be a test pilot with a ERAU degree, and you will probably be excluded from other career paths, whether you realize it or not. Your school and major say a lot about your cognitive achievement and capability. Wouldn't you want to have more doors open for you down the road?

In conclusion, you can still do well in the Navy with a degree from ERAU, and I have several friends who have had great success to prove this - yet I think those friends would have been successful coming from any background, because they are talented and motivated people. I just hope they are able to stay in the cockpit of something, because once they leave the Navy or the airlines, they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Chris94

CWO selected
My two cents on the whole ERAU thing?
You have multiple people here from Naval Aviation and "the show" telling you that ERAU is a very expensive and time consuming way to do something that is much easier to do somewhere else. You asked for advice, there it is. Maybe it wasn't what you wanted to hear?
It is a legitimate academic university and you will learn to fly. You can do the same thing for much cheaper through a state university and local FBO. You can also get a degree that is going to help you outside of aviation. The only thing that the airlines who require a degree care about is that you have it.
You are also locked into a very expensive college where you may decide that you want to do something else. That is much easier to do at a state school, even one with a flying program (ie university of North Dakota, Oklahoma University, etc).
Did I mention that it is really expensive?
As someone who has taught and dealt with its graduates, I can tell you that going to school there vs. getting a private pilot license elsewhere will get you absolutely no advantage in naval aviation.
I see, I do have a huge passion for aviation and I love everything involving aerospace, planes, etc. so I'm thinking ERAU is the school for me, would you agree? Is it essentially worth it? Oh and btw, I plan on getting at least to my solo before I start there so I mean I don't plan on paying for the flight classes there right of the bat at least. Thanks!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If a bunch of dudes with wings, just dicking around on the internet, tell you that it's a bad idea...it's probably a bad idea. Or we're just that bored.

OscarMyers

None
I see, I do have a huge passion for aviation and I love everything involving aerospace, planes, etc. so I'm thinking ERAU is the school for me, would you agree? Is it essentially worth it? Oh and btw, I plan on getting at least to my solo before I start there so I mean I don't plan on paying for the flight classes there right of the bat at least. Thanks!

If you are dead set on going there, keep in mind Riddle is a part 141 school and will not accept any prior training unless you completed it and received a rating. They're pretty strict on following their course progressions.

Chris94

CWO selected
Please don't waste your time or the taxpayers money on a degree from ERAU. Here are three potential outcomes:

1. You don't make it into the Navy. There is no guarantee that you will actually go into the Navy, even with a 4 year NROTC scholarship. Plenty of ROTC studs get NPQd, academically suspended (highly unlikely at ERAU), or just plain decide that the military isn't for them. In the event you do not go into the military, but have a degree from ERAU, it is like having some certificates with no college degree. ERAU is not even a third-tier school. When future non-airline employers see ERAU on your resume, it will quickly find its way into the circular bin, and you will find yourself moving free bags around the Southwest baggage terminal.

2. You go into the Navy, but you have difficulty in flight school. One thing I've observed in the fleet and as an instructor is that people who major in aviation stuff (whether it be from ERAU or something similar) have binary results: either they have a leg up on their peers when it comes stick and rudder, and they can hang with the tactics because they are naturally gifted, or they have an overconfidence in their stick and rudder abilities and fall significantly short in the headword department when conditions get challenging. While I'm sure you've already put yourself into the preferable of the aforementioned categories, I think you should consider that you will be in a class with students who went to legitimate colleges and universities, and who have been intellectually challenged beyond what you will experience at ERAU.

3. You have no problems in flight school, rock it, and get your platform of choice. At some point you will come to a crossroads and be faced with some career decisions. Two of the few items that are part of your permanent record are your graduate institution and your major field of study. It is safe to say that you will never be a test pilot with a ERAU degree, and you will probably be excluded from other career paths, whether you realize it or not. Your school and major say a lot about your cognitive achievement and capability. Wouldn't you want to have more doors open for you down the road?

In conclusion, you can still do well in the Navy with a degree from ERAU, and I have several friends who have had great success to prove this - yet I think those friends would have been successful coming from any background, because they are talented and motivated people. I just hope they are able to stay in the cockpit of something, because once they leave the Navy or the airlines, they are going to be in for a rude awakening.
Everybody on here is talking about after the Navy, pending I receive commission. So you don't think a bachelors of science in either engineering physics or space physics will do me ANY good in the civilian career world?

Chris94

CWO selected
If you are dead set on going there, keep in mind Riddle is a part 141 school and will not accept any prior training unless you completed it and received a rating. They're pretty strict on following their course progressions.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I order to receive your privates and what not do you know if you have to start your first year with the flight training?

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Everybody on here is talking about after the Navy, pending I receive commission. So you don't think a bachelors of science in either engineering physics or space physics will do me ANY good in the civilian career world?

In short, no, but it all depends on what you want to do on the outside world. Employers have a good feel for the relative weight of resumes based on school and discipline. ERAU is not a school they will value highly. As far as engineering physics or space physics goes, I imagine that employers will be able to quickly decipher the difficulty and legitimacy of your major when they see it spelled out on your resume. ERAU is a FOR PROFIT INSTITUTION. It is important to understand what this means, and that the school is in the same group as DeVry and U of Phoenix.com. If you can get their degrees on the internet, then why even bother going to the campus in the first place? The school gives you this option because, frankly, they don't care whether you get your degree in person or via the net - they just want your money.

Chris94

CWO selected
Y
He's a high school kid, he knows everything. It doesn't matter what anyone with any experience says. If it's not what he wants to hear, it can't be true.
Why else would I be on here trying to get information if I didn't care what anyone else said? Of course i wish it is what I want to hear, but that doesn't mean I don't take negative views into account about ERAU... Geez

Status
Not open for further replies.