• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ERAU Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Don't know about the NROTC program but an aviation degree from ERAU is worthless when it comes to finding a job. And you can get the same flight training and licenses for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

If you think ERAU will give you a head start in either a military or civilian aviation career, you're wrong. This is from someone who has done both and has a worthless aviation Master's degree from ERAU.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Don't know about the NROTC program but an aviation degree from ERAU is worthless when it comes to finding a job. And you can get the same flight training and licenses for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

If you think ERAU will give you a head start in either a military or civilian aviation career, you're wrong. This is from someone who has done both and has a worthless aviation Master's degree from ERAU.

Do I rate this as funny or informative?

Chris94

CWO selected

I find that hard to believe considering I am the son of an alumni that has a successful career flying for American. It is costly, but I simply can't agree that it doesn't give you a head start in the aerospace industry. C'mon, internships with. NASA? Many students have become thunderbirds or blue angels pilots as well. Thanks for your opinion anyways.

Chris94

CWO selected
I commissioned out if there in August '12. What do you want to know?
Just basically how good is the program? Do I get an advantage of getting a flying slot? How's the whole atmosphere there in general? I can imagine what's it's like for spring break :confused:

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
Just basically how good is the program? Do I get an advantage of getting a flying slot? How's the whole atmosphere there in general? I can imagine what's it's like for spring break :confused:
I was selected as a SNFO. For what it's worth I attended a state university in California and was able to obtain my BA and PPL for less than one year of tuition at ERAU...

Chris94

CWO selected
I was selected as a SNFO. For what it's worth I attended a state university in California and was able to obtain my BA and PPL for less than one year of tuition at ERAU...
Ok yeah I know the price is very steep. If I'm able to go to San Diego I'm going to do so anyways.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I find that hard to believe considering I am the son of an alumni that has a successful career flying for American. It is costly, but I simply can't agree that it doesn't give you a head start in the aerospace industry. C'mon, internships with. NASA? Many students have become thunderbirds or blue angels pilots as well. Thanks for your opinion anyways.

You may want to slow your roll there, while HAL's advice is certainly blunt it comes from experience (HAL means Hawaiian Airlines btw).

Where you go to school is certainly your choice but ERAU has a bit of a rep in military aviation and it isn't always good. Some ERAU students show up in flight school convinced that since they graduated from an 'Aviation University' that their shit don't stink. Are all ERAU grads that way? No, but a significant enough of a minority are to gain it a rep. For me the one ERAU grad in my flight school class was a arrogant prick who let everyone know he was better for having graduated from ERAU, it may be part of the reason he got a NAV slot out of ROTC while physically qualified for pilot.

I would argue that a big part of the reason ERAU grads are represented well in aerospace is because that is what the school concentrates on, very few schools focus almost exclusively on aerospace. ERAU is very expensive and is defintely good at selling itself but there are several other schools around the country that offer 'aviation' programs for much less and are fine schools themselves. But I question the value of an 'aerospace' education anyways, the vast majority of military aviators have little to no educational or professional experience in aviation and do just fine, Blue Angels and Thunderchickens in included. And internships at NASA? Really?

Where you graduated has almost no impact in your career in the Navy or Marines or even if you get into Test Pilot School, etc. It is your performance, as an aviator it is in your squadrons and especially your first fleet tour, that is the dominant factor in your career and the options it can provide. If you want confirmation of that you can just ask the guy here who got his wings with a GED and was just selected to command a squadron.

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot

American doesn't care if you have a degree in aviation or basket weaving, as long as you have a degree and meet the mins. Its after aviation where is becomes worthless. Pretty sure HAL has some experience to support his opinion since he also has a successful career flying for Hawaiian.

Status
Not open for further replies.