• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ERAU Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris94

CWO selected
Yes, and every time I think about it I regret it. I didn't have to pay for things other than personal entertainment, and I still think it was a huge waste of time. My contemporaries that I will be winging with soon are effectively four years ahead of me in life. When I look at them and ask myself what qualifications I have that they don't, the answer is NONE, but they have a degree in engineering, math, or IR.
So why did you go? I mean, I would think if you have an interest in aviation you'd want to go there?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
So why did you go? I mean, I would think if you have an interest in aviation you'd want to go there?

Because I was stupid and naive. I didn't have anyone to go to for career advice like you can get here. Learn from my mistakes.

Going to Embry Riddle will not help you in flight school. What will help you in flight school is having a solid work ethic, strong motivation to be doing what you are doing, and having a good attitude when working with others.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Too many responses to quote so...

Master's = Masters of Aeronautical Science. I got it to check a block with the Navy. After I got out and was looking for a job it got a lot of raised eyebrows and "WTF is that?" The only place it might have helped was in the rare aviation department manager or airport manager jobs that were out there. But "who you know" were more important than any degree. As far as airlines go - regionals don't care if you have a degree and majors only care that you have one from somewhere.

When I was furloughed, same story. In fact, if you search the internets you will find that those that found jobs outside of aviation when they were furloughed be so because they had real degrees like engineering, MBAs, etc. There are thousands of stories on the internet saying how their Aeroscience degree from ERAU, UND, etc. was worthless.

A license is a license. No one cares if you spent $100k getting all your tickets at ERAU or $20k getting them at the local FBO.

It's your money, or more likely your Dad's money. Spend it how you want. But if you have money to waste I can think of a ton of ways to have more fun that you won't regret in 10 years.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I'd be humbled just to go to flight school, but that's not good to be that cocky going in. I don't plan on that if I'm lucky enough to go to flight school. As for NASA internships, yes, they do too odd internships at the Kennedy space center, at least that's what I've seen, might be different due to tough economic times? But also, several astronauts have come from Embry Riddle, that has to be saying something right?

I was being a bit facetious about the internships, getting an internship is not quite the same as getting a job. As for astronauts the school that has produced the most astronauts is Annapolis with the Air Force Academy far behind in second place, and Purdue has over 4 times more astronaut graduates than ERAU so if that is the criteria then you are a little off.

P.S. Oh, and at least one Mercury Seven astronaut hadn't even graduated from college when he was selected as an astronaut. Different times but still......

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
34506891.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be extremely hard pressed to call Embry Riddle a school. What they have done is take something that is really no more than a hobby (general aviation) and turned it into a $250k product. Embry Riddle is a business and in many ways represents all that is wrong with "higher" education in this country.
Overly harsh, and actually insulting to former ERAUers. Just your opinion. It's not the best bargain for $$$, but if it's as bad as you verbalized it, then it has gone completely downhill since I graduated some ~25 years ago. Looks to me like you have a particular boner for ERAU, sorry for your bad experience.
BzB

maxsonic

Early in my NAVAIR civilian career (92-93), I was a recruiter for the Naval Aviation Depot Product Support Directorate (Engineering Dept). We actively recruited graduates from ERAU's ABET-accredited Aerospace Engineering/Bachelor of Science Program. We also recruited at a similar college (Parks College of Engineering, Aviation & Technology in St. Louis), and a slew of universities located throughout the Southwest.

If you want a Degree that will carry high value after you graduate, then go the tough route and get an Engineering Degree at an ABET accredited college. It will give you a lot more options later in your career (Active Duty Navy - Test Pilot/AEDO; civilian - lots of options). If you make it through the first two years of calculus, physics, statics and dynamics, you can do it.

BzB Jr.

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot

Master's = Masters of Aeronautical Science. I got it to check a block with the Navy. After I got out and was looking for a job it got a lot of raised eyebrows and "WTF is that?"

I'll make sure to I don't get it to check off that block. I was once interested in it when I did my 4 year degree at ERAU Lemoore. My "Professional Aeronautics" degree was only to get the 4 year done quick, VERY quick. But I know I am limited when I comes to trying to sell my B.S. to employers outside of aviation.

MasterBates

You'll have more fun explaining that the Navy has flying Warrants. Again.

You needed a 4 year for that? I thought the point was to get guys flying with a AA/AS.. But then again, I left LAMPS for a "warrantless" community, so I haven't seen any flying warrants outside the prop VTs.

Chris94

CWO selected
Early in my NAVAIR civilian career (92-93), I was a recruiter for the Naval Aviation Depot Product Support Directorate (Engineering Dept). We actively recruited graduates from ERAU's ABET-accredited Aerospace Engineering/Bachelor of Science Program. We also recruited at a similar college (Parks College of Engineering, Aviation & Technology in St. Louis), and a slew of universities located throughout the Southwest.

If you want a Degree that will carry high value after you graduate, then go the tough route and get an Engineering Degree at an ABET accredited college. It will give you a lot more options later in your career (Active Duty Navy - Test Pilot/AEDO; civilian - lots of options). If you make it through the first two years of calculus, physics, statics and dynamics, you can do it.

BzB Jr.
what about space physics? that's what I'm looking at

Chris94

CWO selected

Master's = Masters of Aeronautical Science. I got it to check a block with the Navy. After I got out and was looking for a job it got a lot of raised eyebrows and "WTF is that?" The only place it might have helped was in the rare aviation department manager or airport manager jobs that were out there. But "who you know" were more important than any degree. As far as airlines go - regionals don't care if you have a degree and majors only care that you have one from somewhere.

When I was furloughed, same story. In fact, if you search the internets you will find that those that found jobs outside of aviation when they were furloughed be so because they had real degrees like engineering, MBAs, etc. There are thousands of stories on the internet saying how their Aeroscience degree from ERAU, UND, etc. was worthless.

A license is a license. No one cares if you spent $100k getting all your tickets at ERAU or $20k getting them at the local FBO.

It's your money, or more likely your Dad's money. Spend it how you want. But if you have money to waste I can think of a ton of ways to have more fun that you won't regret in 10 years.
my dad was furloughed as well, he actually applied to Hawaiian Air, didn't work out. I'm going into NROTC if I do go to Daytona and hopefully getting picked up for a scholarship after my first year or (if im incredibly lucky) my first semester. So, I don't want to go to the airlines right off the bat... My planned major is Space physics btw, everybody on here seems to think that the aeronautical science major is what someone going to this school would be looking at. Oh and not my parents money, or very little of it, just tons and tons of little $1,000 scholarships and I wish I had money to waste! I just have a love for anything related to aviation and this seemed like the college to go to. I appreciate hearing the different opinions though, it's good to see things from a variety of different eyes. BTW, my earlier reply was in no way intentioned to be disrespectful or have the tone of a "smart ass"... If it did, I apologize.

maxsonic

what about space physics? that's what I'm looking at

Space Physics? Sounds like a designer degree to me. Too specialized. With many BSAE programs you can specialize in astronautics by taking specialized coursework (orbital mechanics, etc.). Stick with one of the big four "recognized" Engineering Degrees- Aerospace, Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical. And get the EIT Exam done / PE Certification as soon as possible after graduation. Of course, I'm biased.

BzB Jr. MSAE, BSAE SDSU

RiseR 25

Went to ERAU for a year, was an educational experience to say the least. In hind sight it helped because the college AFROTC experience wasn't too bad, but didn't help my grades second semester of Freshman year. Opted out after the first year.

Switched back over to a public university to take advantage of in-state tuition, for me a far better decision, and a MUCH BETTER college life even as an engineer, and I could take my schooling at the pace I wanted to.

If you haven't had prior JROTC experience and want to "become a cadet/midshipman," you manage to do it on the government's dime, AND you are having a tough time finding a way to finance college otherwise, then I'd say go for it. But understand that when you contract you are NOT getting a flight slot on your contract. The contract only specifies what major the government will pay for and what fiscal year you are expected to graduate in. Odds are you won't even go up for your physical until the Senior year, when you're already locked in.

Tough call I know, but has its advantages and disadvantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.