• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EOD officer

exNavyOffRec

You only need the NEC to go STA-21 EOD. From STA-21 CORE you can service select ANY URL (assuming you are PQ) just like the midshipen. I doubt that you can tell from your data whether an NROTC EOD select was STA-21 or Scholarship or College Program...can you?

-ea6bflyr ;)
I missed a number they list NROTC - 13 and STA21 - 2, not sure if that helps from what you are asking.

OscarMyers

None
I missed a number they list NROTC - 13 and STA21 - 2, not sure if that helps from what you are asking.

One of those 2 sta-21 guys is my buddy here at school. He was Naval Aircrew SAR swimmer. So there is hope for non EOD type. He was picked for the program as core.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The STA-21 numbers reflect pre-selected STA-21 EOD guys. When you go CORE, you throw your name in that hat with the rest of the Mids and become part of the NROTC numbers.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The STA-21 numbers reflect pre-selected STA-21 EOD guys. When you go CORE, you throw your name in that hat with the rest of the Mids and become part of the NROTC numbers.
That's what I thought....

-ea6bflyr ;)

haubby

None
Contributor

Kinda sorta... Whilst CORE you service select with the rest of NROTC, but you compete with only other STA-21 candidates who will be the same year group as yourself.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
True, but you fill an NROTC quota not a STA-21. Remember Joey D? He was CORE had to go SWO-N because we needed one guy from our unit to go, didn't matter if he was STA-21 or not.

exNavyOffRec

True, but you fill an NROTC quota not a STA-21. Remember Joey D? He was CORE had to go SWO-N because we needed one guy from our unit to go, didn't matter if he was STA-21 or not.

FYI when it comes to SWO-N or Sub they can be sent to interview but that doesn't mean they will pass and they still have to get screened, I was with a NR screener on a college visit when the unit gave him some records of those they wanted to send Nuke, several he screened "no" because grades didn't warrant it.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, this guy was no question. Prior Nuke, 4.0 engineering GPA, etc. Our unit was told to send our "best guy".

Barkley

Does anyone have any info on the EOD officer board for OCS coming up in Sept.? How competitive will it be; how many slots and how many applicants, etc.? My recruiter has pretty much zero info for me. Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

Does anyone have any info on the EOD officer board for OCS coming up in Sept.? How competitive will it be; how many slots and how many applicants, etc.? My recruiter has pretty much zero info for me. Thank you.

They have not released quotas for FY14, but in general it is very competitive, except for the past year they for many years have only taken 2 or 3 per FY, the ones that have been picked up have had very high GPA's, very physically fit 100+ sit ups, 100+ push ups, swim under 9 min, run under 9 min, pull ups in high teens or low twenties.

according to your profile you are already 29, given the max age is 30 you will not meet the age requirement.

Barkley

Thank you for your response. I am 28 right now, turning 29 in a month or so. I am in the process of putting a package together for the upcoming EOD board. I graduated college in 2009 with a low GPA. I wish I would have tried harder in college, but I can't change that now. My mentality now is different than when I was in college. I have been working since I graduated college. I swim and run around 9:30, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 21 pull ups. What did the selects look like for this last year? My recruiter is aware of my low GPA. Would he waste his time with me if my low GPA would kill my chances? Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for your response. I am 28 right now, turning 29 in a month or so. I am in the process of putting a package together for the upcoming EOD board. I graduated college in 2009 with a low GPA. I wish I would have tried harder in college, but I can't change that now. My mentality now is different than when I was in college. I have been working since I graduated college. I swim and run around 9:30, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 21 pull ups. What did the selects look like for this last year? My recruiter is aware of my low GPA. Would he waste his time with me if my low GPA would kill my chances? Thanks.

Your profile says you turned 29 back in Jan.

I can't say for the last round, but for the past several years before the average GPA was about 3.75, and several had their Master's degree

Are those times while doing the PST? They have a pretty regimented test, one activity after the other, more often than not peoples time increase doing it that way due to structure and stress.

The reason he would submit is NRC went to application goaling, this means he gets credit for submission of applications.

Barkley

Yes, those times are while doing the PST. I am beginning to wonder if my recruiter might just be wasting my time and that I might not have a realistic chance of getting selected. EOD officer is something I really want to do, but if I have no chance of getting selected, I would have gone to another service who offered to put my package in for officer. My situation seems kind of shady to me because the whole time I've been working on this process (3 months), I have only been working with a Chief. I have not yet met the LT, which seems strange to me. I was in a Marine officer program and went through OCS in college, but got injured. So, I am somewhat familiar with how this process works, at least for the Marines. Thank you for the info.

exNavyOffRec

Yes, those times are while doing the PST. I am beginning to wonder if my recruiter might just be wasting my time and that I might not have a realistic chance of getting selected. EOD officer is something I really want to do, but if I have no chance of getting selected, I would have gone to another service who offered to put my package in for officer. My situation seems kind of shady to me because the whole time I've been working on this process (3 months), I have only been working with a Chief. I have not yet met the LT, which seems strange to me. I was in a Marine officer program and went through OCS in college, but got injured. So, I am somewhat familiar with how this process works, at least for the Marines. Thank you for the info.

about half of the OR's are CPO's, and to be honest he may not have had people picked up for EOD, very few of us have, me being one that has had people picked up for EOD and SEAL, what was your degree and GPA?