• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EOD officer

hey i was looking on sta-21.navy.mil and was just trying to figure out if I were to become an EOD officer would I already have to be an enlisted EOD tech? It says that the applicant must have EOD NEC's if trying out for the EOD officer program... Thanks

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I know two Navy Divers who were picked up for EOD through STA-21. You don't have to be an EOD tech, but you have to already have one of the NECs listed on the website. Essentially, they don't want to commission you SPECOPS, and then have you attrite out of dive/EOD school.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the STA-21 website, it doesn't appear that you meet the NEC requirements for the specific option you desire. You could apply for the STA-21 CORE program and apply for EOD as one of your three Service Assignments. That would be another way to get into EOD.

-ea6bflyr ;)

lmnop

hey i was looking on sta-21.navy.mil and was just trying to figure out if I were to become an EOD officer would I already have to be an enlisted EOD tech? It says that the applicant must have EOD NEC's if trying out for the EOD officer program... Thanks

Yes, the NECs listed are for EOD Techs, NDs and Dive Med Tech HMs. The Program Authorization provides some more amplifying info.

If you aren't dead seat on STA-21, you could still become an EOD Officer through one of the other commissioning programs (NROTC, USNA, or OCS) without prior experience as an EOD Tech or Diver. Another option would be to commission in another designator and apply for a lat transfer into EOD later on, though the number of slots available are relatively small.

Edit: The guys above beat me to it...what they said.

Thanks for the speedy replies guys! I am pretty set on submitting my sta-21 package for the FY2012. If I applied to the pilot program and got accepted then I could change my program from pilot to EOD? Just trying to clear this all up, thanks again!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the speedy replies guys! I am pretty set on submitting my sta-21 package for the FY2012. If I applied to the pilot program and got accepted then I could change my program from pilot to EOD? Just trying to clear this all up, thanks again!
NETC does not normally allow you to change programs after you are accepted unless it is for medical reasons (e.g.: STA-21 Pilot option has bad eyes upon commissioning). I still say your best bet is to go STA-21 CORE.

-ea6bflyr ;)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
^Agreed. Plus the fact you screw someone else who actually WANTS a pilot spot. It's tough, but not unheard of to get picked up for SPECOPS/SPECWAR as a CORE guy. The guys I saw do it were lucky to attend Old Dominion University and have ample access to the teams at Little Creek. There is a LOT of networking that has to occur to get accepted to EOD/SEAL as an officer, much like rushing a frat. The more time you spend around those guys working out and proving you're truly committed to the lifestyle, the better your chances.

This year you will be applying for FY2013.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
No. Look here...

The STA-21 Commissioning Program allows Sailors to apply to the Core Program or a Target group option. The Core Program allows participants the most flexibility in selecting a major and requesting schools to attend. STA-21 students in the Core Program will be assigned an Unrestricted Line (URL) Navy officer designator upon commissioning. (Students will request which officer community they desire during their final year of academic study, but assignment is controlled by NSTC in accordance with annual community goals set by BUPERS). Sailors selected into a Target group option will, upon commissioning, be assigned to that option's officer community. These Target group options each have specific requirements related to them. The following Target group options exist:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Talk about why you would like to be an Officer in the Navy, no matter what designator you end up with. If that's not true, reconsider applying to the program.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Also, EOD is a very small community. They commissioned four URL (Unrestricted Line) officers this fiscal year. Three were prior enlisted (I met two at OCS) and the other was an academy grad. Also, what wlawr005 said about networking with the community is HUGE. The SPECOPS/SPECWAR bubbas don't like taking unknown quantities, i.e. they want to get to know you first and will usually require a recommendation from some EOD/SEAL officers in order to select you. Also, make sure you are a PT allstar before you apply, as there is a physical test requirement for an application package.

Talk about why you would like to be an Officer in the Navy, no matter what designator you end up with. If that's not true, reconsider applying to the program.

This is also really crucial. You're going to be a Naval Officer first and EOD second upon commissioning; and the EOD community will expect that from you.

lmnop

Also, EOD is a very small community. They commissioned four URL (Unrestricted Line) officers this fiscal year. Three were prior enlisted (I met two at OCS) and the other was an academy grad.

We're the smallest URL community, but not THAT small. From the EOD Community Manager page: In 2011, 34 Ensigns were accessed as EOD trainees (119X designator); 16 from USNA, 15 from NROTC/STA-21, and 3 from OCS.

exNavyOffRec

The just released numbers today show they are planning on bringing in 10 via OCS for FY13, for the past 3 years via OCS they have been capped at 2 per FY so this is a big jump.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
We're the smallest URL community, but not THAT small. From the EOD Community Manager page: In 2011, 34 Ensigns were accessed as EOD trainees (119X designator); 16 from USNA, 15 from NROTC/STA-21, and 3 from OCS.

Do you have numbers for FY 2012? It may not have been just four officers, but it was tiny as was relayed to me by both enlisted and officers. Suffice it to say, they didn't have any room for me when I was looking to redesignate.