• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EOD officer

This is my first time posting to this page so hopefully I'm asking for help in the right part of the thread.. I am currently a 20 year old senior at Florida Institute of Technology. I will be getting my Bachelor's of Science after this last semester in Aviation Management with a Minor in Unmanned Aerial Systems. Originally I went to this school to pursue my dreams to become a fighter pilot, but my uncorrected vision is 20/80 and my cornea is too thin to be a candidate for Lasik or PRK. I got selected to my school on a football scholarship and played two years (Freshman and Sophomore) and stopped to preserve my health and focus on my school work. Now I will be graduating a semester early (Bachelor's will be completed in 3.5 years) and my "Plan A" has always been to join the Navy as an Officer. I'm currently in the process of getting my packet together to hopefully get selected into SPECOPS (EOD). I was wondering if you guys could tell me how competitive I might be for the selection board..

-20 Years Old
-Bachelors of Science in Aviation Management with a minor in Unmanned Aerial Systems (Completed in 3.5 years).
-I will be graduating in December of 2015 with a Cum Laude GPA of 3.52 (Consistent Dean's List Student)
-OAR: 45 (I know it's not as competitive as it could be)
-PRT - 500 yd Swim: around 9:30, Pushups: 100+, Situps: 100+, Pullups: 20, 1.5 Mile: 10 Minutes
-LOR: Previous Retail Store Employer, High School Principle, and Former Air Force F-16 Pilot who was my Professor for two semesters
-Strong Motivational Statement
-NCAA Academic Honors Award
-2 Years of NCAA Football on Scholarship
-4 Years of High School Football
-1 Year of High School Track
-High School Football Team Captain
-Over 200 Hours of Community Service in both High School and College Combined (Soup Kitchens, Trash Pick Ups, Meal Packaging, Charity Events, etc.)
-1 Summer as a Lifeguard at NAS Jacksonville (Should be Getting my Water Safety Instructor Certification Soon and Possibly Diver Certification)
-Public Speaker at my high school for College Athlete Awareness to high school athletes
-High School Beta Club Member, Role Model Senior Award (Voted on by teachers and administration), Homecoming King Senior Year (Voted on by fellow classmates)
-High School Champions award for being a Dual Sport Athlete while maintaining above a 3.5 GPA
-High School GPA of a 3.8

It's currently June of 2015 and my recruiter said the next EOD board won't be until March of 2016, so I have time to build and add to my packet until then.

I know what I listed was a bit excessive, but I wanted to put out anything about my background that might appeal to the board. Thank you for your feedback! Everything will be taken as constructive criticism.

exNavyOffRec

This is my first time posting to this page so hopefully I'm asking for help in the right part of the thread.. I am currently a 20 year old senior at Florida Institute of Technology. I will be getting my Bachelor's of Science after this last semester in Aviation Management with a Minor in Unmanned Aerial Systems. Originally I went to this school to pursue my dreams to become a fighter pilot, but my uncorrected vision is 20/80 and my cornea is too thin to be a candidate for Lasik or PRK. I got selected to my school on a football scholarship and played two years (Freshman and Sophomore) and stopped to preserve my health and focus on my school work. Now I will be graduating a semester early (Bachelor's will be completed in 3.5 years) and my "Plan A" has always been to join the Navy as an Officer. I'm currently in the process of getting my packet together to hopefully get selected into SPECOPS (EOD). I was wondering if you guys could tell me how competitive I might be for the selection board..

-20 Years Old
-Bachelors of Science in Aviation Management with a minor in Unmanned Aerial Systems (Completed in 3.5 years).
-I will be graduating in December of 2015 with a Cum Laude GPA of 3.52 (Consistent Dean's List Student)
-OAR: 45 (I know it's not as competitive as it could be)
-PRT - 500 yd Swim: around 9:30, Pushups: 100+, Situps: 100+, Pullups: 20, 1.5 Mile: 10 Minutes
-LOR: Previous Retail Store Employer, High School Principle, and Former Air Force F-16 Pilot who was my Professor for two semesters
-Strong Motivational Statement
-NCAA Academic Honors Award
-2 Years of NCAA Football on Scholarship
-4 Years of High School Football
-1 Year of High School Track
-High School Football Team Captain
-Over 200 Hours of Community Service in both High School and College Combined (Soup Kitchens, Trash Pick Ups, Meal Packaging, Charity Events, etc.)
-1 Summer as a Lifeguard at NAS Jacksonville (Should be Getting my Water Safety Instructor Certification Soon and Possibly Diver Certification)
-Public Speaker at my high school for College Athlete Awareness to high school athletes
-High School Beta Club Member, Role Model Senior Award (Voted on by teachers and administration), Homecoming King Senior Year (Voted on by fellow classmates)
-High School Champions award for being a Dual Sport Athlete while maintaining above a 3.5 GPA
-High School GPA of a 3.8

It's currently June of 2015 and my recruiter said the next EOD board won't be until March of 2016, so I have time to build and add to my packet until then.

I know what I listed was a bit excessive, but I wanted to put out anything about my background that might appeal to the board. Thank you for your feedback! Everything will be taken as constructive criticism.

You need to try and cut 2 minutes off your run and at least 30 seconds off your swim, also if those scores aren't when doing each activity one right after the other you will have a big surprise at the test.

EOD has for years always held their board in September, another person just mentioned that he was told by his recruiter that EOD is now only taking those that are currently enlisted and I think RUFIO may have mentioned this, I had a guy that recently went through SEAL training and many of the guys that didn't make it through hell week were re-designated to EOD.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is my first time posting to this page so hopefully I'm asking for help in the right part of the thread..

Any reason you're not considering NFO? It's flying, and there's opportunity for UAS work since you're obviously interested in that (I'm on my second UAV tour now).

You need to try and cut 2 minutes off your run and at least 30 seconds off your swim, also if those scores aren't when doing each activity one right after the other you will have a big surprise at the test.

EOD has for years always held their board in September, another person just mentioned that he was told by his recruiter that EOD is now only taking those that are currently enlisted and I think RUFIO may have mentioned this, I had a guy that recently went through SEAL training and many of the guys that didn't make it through hell week were re-designated to EOD.

Yes, I'm currently lifting, running, and swimming daily to lower my times and they are all done consecutively.

I meet with my recruiter today so I'll bring that up to him and see what he says.

Any reason you're not considering NFO? It's flying, and there's opportunity for UAS work since you're obviously interested in that (I'm on my second UAV tour now).

I have considered NFO, but I thought the vision requirements were the same for NFO as for pilots? I could just be misinformed, but that's what I had always believed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have considered NFO, but I thought the vision requirements were the same for NFO as for pilots? I could just be misinformed, but that's what I had always believed.

Nope, NFO vision requirements are not the same as the pilot ones. You appear to be qualified for NFO vision-wise.