• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ensuring Your VT Squadron

trvsmrtn

pilot
I'm not sure what JCOP stands for exactly, but basically, if you're not scheduled for anything else, you come in and study at the squadron building for 4 hours. Sometimes they assign an IP to go over a subject for an hour of that time.

As far as going through RI's first, it's 6 weeks out of the front cockpit. Just when I was getting semi decent, they pull me out of the front seat and send me through RI's. Then they'll let me back in the front with no warm up flights for forms. That's my concern, but it is nice knowing that I'll have some fun flights left after RI's.

Pags

N/A
pilot
trvsmrtn said:
I'm not sure what JCOP stands for exactly, but basically, if you're not scheduled for anything else, you come in and study at the squadron building for 4 hours. Sometimes they assign an IP to go over a subject for an hour of that time.
meh, 4hrs ain't so bad.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Holy Dogpile Batman!!

Allright, I usually stand by the sidelines, but this thread pisses me off.

PropStop said:
Man, like a pack of wolves! :D
Good grief, doesn't it stink to high heaven in this thread! I have to call the bullsh1t flag on this one, and its not against the original poster Gman1976. It is not like he is some kid in high school asking a question xx number of years down the road, he's in the program and asking a LEGITIMATE QUESTION, over a concern he has.

kdawg said:
I really think you all are being a bit dramatic. Before I checked in to my squadron I heard which squadrons were the favorites and which ones had things like mandatory study hours. Its only natural to want to have the best experience you can while in flights school based on what you heard.
kdawg is on the mark!! All you SALTY winged bubbas are lying MFs if you tell me you didn't fall victim or at least discuss the options with your peers in the post API rumor mill: which VT squadron was best, how do I not get sent to Vance, VT6 pushes through students faster, VT2 sucks but puts out more jet selects, are CC's course rules easier than Pcola's, yada yada yada.

A4sFOREVER said:
That kind of verbage tends to color the discussion, yes? Everyone here wants to help you with valid questions --- believe it. :)
A4s hit it right on, granted the phrasing of the original post could have been better, but come on, we all knew where Gman was coming from, have we all forgotten?!?! It's easy to sit here and rip into a poster and point out how much they DON'T KNOW, and how fvcked up they are. But come on, we all started out as SNAs or SNFOs with legitimate concerns and some probably false assumptions. I KNOW I did, and a lot of my friends on this board helped me along the way, along with some **** hot IPs. This board might be one of the few places while sitting in a pool to get some good, no sh1t ground truth advice and guidance on what to do. God knows that your fellow studs are probably just as clueless, and you don't have access yet to that IP or PA who could set you straight. It's a valid question, and a legitimate concern. Bottom line, Gman and other SNA/SNFOs posting on this forum want to do well and succeed, that is the entry assumption on their character or they wouldn't be in the program (I trust that the USNA, NROTC and recruiters are doing their job to deliver the quality product).

Steve Wilkins said:
I'd be more concerned with those IP's on here who do know who you are now.
Steve, stop the friggin fear mongering, it doesn't suit you, nor my board. And I know for a FACT that you, Gatordev, myself and some of our peers all wanted VT6 back in the day....

A little humor and screwing with one another is all well and good between members that have established themselves on the board, and is in keeping with the aviation and wardroom/ready room commraderie. But dog piling and beating down the bubba with 32 posts? Come on, this website is not AW Bully.com, its supposed to be a place where future SNA/SNFO can come to get answers, NOT TO FEAR TO POST. This is a disturbing trend that can destroy this site!!! We have the peer group that posted as SNA/SNFOs that is post Fleet now, you remember how open the forums were back then, I can't honestly say that it is the same now... and that frankly bothers me.

Back to the topic at hand...

Gman, I think there have been some good posts sprinkled throughout the rest of the turds. Gatordev had a good one, in that you really don't control your destiny with respect to the VT you are going to. Many others also posted the god's honest truth, that regardless of where you end up, you will enjoy it, and how well you perform and impress the IP with your skill and knowlege is the yardstick you will be measured on. Best of luck, and I hope you succeed in Primary and end up with the platform selection you desire.

John

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
trvsmrtn said:
As far as going through RI's first, it's 6 weeks out of the front cockpit. Just when I was getting semi decent, they pull me out of the front seat and send me through RI's. Then they'll let me back in the front with no warm up flights for forms. That's my concern, but it is nice knowing that I'll have some fun flights left after RI's.

Not much related to the original topic, but I went through RIs first and finished up with PAs/Forms/VNAVs. You really build a quality scan in the RI stage that will make you a better pilot overall. There is just a little bit of adjustment required to get used to being in the front seat again (and actually having the ability to see outside the canopy), but they shoud give you a warmup flight to get back in the swing of things. My squadron does it that way. You'll likely be a better stick for having endured RIs early, and you'll definitely have more of an appreciation for the fun flying you get to do in the other stages of Primary. Don't sweat it.

GMan1976

Banned
webmaster said:
Allright, I usually stand by the sidelines, but this thread pisses me off.

Good grief, doesn't it stink to high heaven in this thread! I have to call the bullsh1t flag on this one, and its not against the original poster Gman1976. It is not like he is some kid in high school asking a question xx number of years down the road, he's in the program and asking a LEGITIMATE QUESTION, over a concern he has.

Best of luck, and I hope you succeed in Primary and end up with the platform selection you desire.

John

Thanks, John. I appreciate the support and the well-wishes. Keep up the killer site.

Well, off to take my Nav exam this morning!

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
nittany03 said:
And the whole "Air Force guys are all homos" statement is overrated beyond simple interservice harrassment.

Ok I was kidding(mostly). they do iron their flight suits.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

webmaster said:
Steve, stop the friggin fear mongering, it doesn't suit you, nor my board.
Geez, I think someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Or maybe the Admiral is working you too hard. I don't what it is, but we need to get you back in a squadron....and fast. You've gotten cranky over there and THAT doesn't suit you. Of all people here, you should know my sense of humor. As dry as it may be, you have to admit, I'm a pretty funny guy.

webmaster said:
And I know for a FACT that you, Gatordev, myself and some of our peers all wanted VT6 back in the day....
Come on now. You were still an OC in Gainesville when I went to VT-6. But you're right, I did want that squadron.

webmaster said:
A little humor and screwing with one another is all well and good between members that have established themselves on the board, and is in keeping with the aviation and wardroom/ready room commraderie. But dog piling and beating down the bubba with 32 posts?
Ok, ok, so the humor was lost. Got it. No, there's no secret IP mafia here. GMan did give me rep points, however, so I don't think I caused any long term emotional damage.

webmaster said:
Come on, this website is not AW Bully.com, its supposed to be a place where future SNA/SNFO can come to get answers, NOT TO FEAR TO POST.
Concur. I'll be nicer from now on...but only if A4's follows my lead.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
GMan, hopefully you picked up from all this flame is that you shouldn't worry about things you can't control. I think you would have got a better response by saying "Anyone know how I can avoid wearing those ugly red t-shirts in VT-3? Holloween is my favorite holiday, and orange and black shirts are all I have? Where's the gouge?" ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Concur. I'll be nicer ...... if A4's follows my lead.
Uh-uh. No way, Steve. I can't fly THAT slow. No one can. I'd go rudder shaker, RUDDER SHAKER, RUDDER SHAKER ... and then flip over, spin in, crash and burn. Talk about the blind "leading" the blind ... :eek:

Of maybe you meant lead. As in Periodic Pb ... ???

periodic.gif

In which case ... the answer is still ..... NO.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
raptor10 said:
Or he could have meant lead as in Pb...
Boy ... you guys don't miss a trick, do you?? I switched my "h" and "b" keys years ago ... makes a lot more sense when I type.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
raptor10 said:
Or he could have meant lead as in Pb...
Yea, I was just in the process of correcting his ass....I see he changed it.

Raptor, you're on fire today.