• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted "Whole Sailor" OCS/LDO advice

Hello all,

First time posting here, and with the "whole sailor/person" concept of evaluating potential I apologize if I include info here which is not pertinent to Commissioning Programs that's in part what i'm trying to decipher.

I am a 28 yr old CS1(SW) I have been in the Navy 8.5 yrs and just took the CPO Exam for LDO purposes for the first time. I have completed 81 of 120 credits towards my Undergrad in Communications and I am also interested in applying for OCS (SWO) upon completion of my degree
My Evals I see as a weakness (they are good, not great)
currently studying for OAR (two different exams but my ASVAB was a 96)
Substantive LOR's from O-10, O-10(ret), and O-6
No NJP's
TS/SCI clearance (completed 2018)
Awards: 1 Joint Comm, 1 NAM

Essentially I was referred here by a friend who is currently in OCS and was a fleet IC2 picked up for IP on his 2nd application; and I am seeking advice from those who have gone before on how competitive I may or may not be for OCS/LDO, additionally I am doing all of my research on package requirements and piecing them together even though I know It's still early as I need to finish my degree to be eligible for OCS, and my CPO exam results must come back favorably before I am eligible for LDO...while narrowing the field of focus to which naval officer career is most aligned with my own goals (as well as where I believe I would be most beneficial to the Navy). I have come to the determination that Supply LDO, and SWO are the most desirable goals for me.

Concerns for my competitiveness with regard to Supply centering around my pronounced lack of "big picture naval supply experience" In my time as a CS, I have been completely the "go-to" culinary guy with very little records/logistics influence. my tours include...
USS Chung-Hoon DDG-93 (4.5 yrs)
Enlisted Aide Commander USSTRATCOM (2 yrs)
Secretary of The Navy Executive Dining (2.5 yrs) (currently onboard proj detachment September2019)
So I have done very well for myself in the "CS" world, however I want more for myself, my family, and I feel I have more to offer the Navy, and I look to offer mentorship, motivation, and guidance to "pay it forward" with my fellow CS's who get pretty bogged down sometimes cooking food for fleet enlisted/officers I just worry that my lack of Logistics experience will bar me from the Supply LDO table so to speak...

Concerns for my competitiveness with OCS are more related to the timing of finishing my degree, as well as an old PFA failure that is a few years back in my PRIMS...But I turned my PT problem around and it hasn't been an issue since...although I am ramping up the PT for my return to the fleet from special programs as well as in preparation for the goal of attending OCS...In an ideal scenario for my goals and passions with regard to the Navy. I finish my degree, and get accepted into OCS for SWO, and I maintain the momentum, motivation, and work ethic that have shown me some success in my enlisted time and give everything I can to life as a Surface Warfare Officer and don't retire until I become Captain of a ship one day.
Thanks for any and all advice, and opinions!

With all respect,
CS1

Meyerkord

pilot
Welcome. I don't have any comment on the Supply/LDO part of your post, but for SWO/OCS, two of the biggest factors for selection are your OAR score and your GPA. Without those, it's a bit hard to tell if you'll get picked up or not. There's an ASTB/OAR portion of this site that has a bunch of useful study tips (https://www.airwarriors.com/community/forums/astb.47/), specifically the "1,001 questions" thread.

snake020

Contributor
Concerns for my competitiveness with regard to Supply centering around my pronounced lack of "big picture naval supply experience" In my time as a CS, I have been completely the "go-to" culinary guy with very little records/logistics influence. my tours include...

I can't speak for a board, but you've been at sea and then were selected to be an aide at a combatant command and for a service secretary, it sounds like your performance has been top tier, and that's what matters. They'll send you to supply school for the loggie stuff you're missing anyway; don't worry about that.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Well obviously you weren’t a stew burner, if you were cooking for SECNAV EXT dinning.?‍? ?

Keep working on your degree, and applying for LDO. If you don’t pick up LDO before you get your degree, start applying for OCS. But keep applying to both boards till your not eligible, all they can do is tell you no.

Who knows you might get selected for Chief, then you get another option to apply for CWO.

And if you are selected for Chief, don’t let the mess break you down about possible being an anchor chucker. One of my best friends is an retired LDO making way more in retirement than me.?

Good luck on your BS. I filled an MCO billet at a RAG, and my LPO got his degree during the 1.5 years he worked for me. And his performance never lacked, now he’s an AMDO Ltjg.⚓️

BackOrdered

Contributor
USS Chung-Hoon DDG-93 (4.5 yrs)

For the lack of Big Navy Supply experience, I tell aspiring Supply JOs that I don't expect them to know anything about that, but I do expect them to demonstrate they are trainable. This is especially true of Supply LDOs in your shoes as they may get commissioned but are too prideful to seek help on knowledge gaps. I find myself impressed with those who seek office calls with senior people to learn about Big Navy stuff. If an applicant approached me and said they didn't have experience with Big Navy Supply, but here are all the mentors I actively turned to for advice, I'm impressed.

Update: after finding some clarification on new Program Authorizations and things I have narrowed down my options and I am building a package for OCS (SWO/Intel)...wondering if there are any who would mind looking over my Personal Statement? I'm sure there is a separate forum for those but figured I would post on my own thread first just looking to get as many eyes on it as possible before I start scheduling my Interview/Appraisals.

With all respect,

CS1(SW)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Update: after finding some clarification on new Program Authorizations and things I have narrowed down my options and I am building a package for OCS (SWO/Intel)...wondering if there are any who would mind looking over my Personal Statement? I'm sure there is a separate forum for those but figured I would post on my own thread first just looking to get as many eyes on it as possible before I start scheduling my Interview/Appraisals.

With all respect,

CS1(SW)

Pay close attention to the bold.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I can't speak for a board, but you've been at sea and then were selected to be an aide at a combatant command and for a service secretary, it sounds like your performance has been top tier, and that's what matters. They'll send you to supply school for the loggie stuff you're missing anyway; don't worry about that.

Seconding what @snake020 said. You'll learn all you need to know at BQC. At least with a background as a CS you'll have a leg-up during the Food Service. BQC is all about learning where to look/how to look things up in the pubs.