• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted get a shot at a seat in the cockpit

64gunpilot

Sorry didn't mean it the way you interpretted it. It's not about people being better than anyone else - but it is the criteria for pay though - retention I agree is another matter. But I do remember a Navy two star (aviator - A-6 type I believe) giving a talk my senior year as an about to be commissioned NROTC mid - and he really emphasized the point about as officers we were never paid to do the job, but that the motivator for accomplishment was the oath and duty were were about to be sworn to - and that your paycheck was there so "you can live in a manner commensurate to your responsabilities and authority".

What is the criteria for pay? Socio-economic status? Pay GIVES you socio-economic status. I know many West Pointers, Naval and Air Force Academy, and ROTC Grads who began life in a lower social strata than I did so don't even pull that lame Horse$hit on me. In America, you are what you remake yourself to be. As a CW3 I made more money than an 0-4 due to our bonus structure. As a CW4 it's not even close. I turned down the opportunity to go "Commissioned" because it was not a fiscally sound decision. So I decided to fore-go my dream of Command and followed instead the moral imperatives which drive a provider for a family of 7 to choose the financial benefit of remaining a Warrant. I still enjoy the role of the "Old Sage" However. I serve as an Instructor Pilot, and mentor to junior Warrants, lieutenants, Captains, and Majors. I relish my role as an Advisor to senior leaders, and cherish the high esteem with which I am held by my Warrant and Commissioned contemporaries. Something a Warrant in Naval Aviation may never experience if attitudes such as yours remain the same. Now, I understand we are comparing Apples to Oranges when discussing the Warrant programs of our Services. New Warrants entering The Navy Program will forever be upside down in terms of flight experience and pay, and will be limited in terms of the airframes they will be allowed to fly - UNLESS, the Navy adopts a system similar to the Army's. Army Warrant Officers will - as things now stand - always have more flight time at the 5-7 year mark and beyond than their Commissioned contemporaries (due to the professional development cycle for Commissioned Officers). Additionally, there is no restriction from the type of airframes available. We can fly Attack, Cargo, Medevac VIP, Assault, and Fixed Wing. We can be Instructor Pilots, Safety Officers, Maintenance Test Pilots, Experimental Test Pilots and Army Astronauts. Very rarely do we get saddled with admin jobs in personnel, supply, logistics or operations - only when there is a local shortage of Commissioned guys. We receive flight bonuses our Commissioned contemporaries do not and flight incentive pay which outpaces our Commissioned brethren's due to flight hour gates which are difficult for them to achieve.

I totally agree with your guest speaker's emphasis on service, but to think that you have to be an "Officer" in the traditional sense to embody those qualities is ignorant at best. Patriots and Leaders are not made in OCS or WOCS, they are born; genetically or environmentally predisposed for success when opportunities like OCS or WOCS present themselves. I really believe that the resistance by some in this forum to embracing WO pilots is based on a lack of experience with the same. Another poster touched on a key point in an earlier comment when they addressed the fact that the Army Warrant program had been around so long that it had worked out the short-comings and was now a smooth running program. When one understands the personnel make-up of those early Aviation units it becomes much easier to see that the shortcomings had nothing to do with the Warrants, but rather, the lack of "Home-grown" Commissioned Leaders. What many don't realize is that in the early days of Army Aviation (Post Korean War), the Commissioned Officers who commanded Flight detachments, Companies and Squadrons were NOT Aviators by "Trade". When My Uncle and his fellow Flyboys left the Army to start their own Air Force in 1947, Army Aviation was limited mostly to Artillery spotting, VIP, and medevac missions. All that was left to man these flight detachments were Artillery, Infantry, Armor, and other Branch Officers who rotated in and out of the Aviation units as a part of their professional development. Warrant Officers had long been in use in the Army as technical Experts in various specialties, so when Army Aviation began to ramp up in scope during the Vietnam War, Warrants were an easy solution to the manning challenges Commanders faced for the new Air Mobile Divisions. The Warrants were the only Officers who spent their entire career in these Aviation units. Out of necessity, they became the Instructor Pilots and Air Mission Commanders. By virtue of those roles, they provided the continuity and technical expertise that ensured operational success. By the time the Vietnam War concluded, those WO1s who cut their teeth in the hot LZs of South East Asia were 2-3000 hour CW2s. Due to the nature of combat operations, and pilot shortages due to losses, those Commissioned Officers who pulled "professional development" tours had flight logs which compared to the Warrants, but after the War it was the Warrants that kept flying the Lion's share of a unit's flying hour program. The CW2s became CW3s and CW4s with upwards of 5000 hours. They became the "Old Salts" and mentors in Army Aviation - Literal and figurative Gods in the eyes of their commisioned contemporaries. It wasn't until the mid 1980s that Army Aviation became a Branch in it's own right and began "Growing" it's own Commissioned Officers. By the late 1990's the Aviation Branch Leaders had begun to shift the focus from Warrants being the sole Subject Matter Experts to the Commissioned Officers being expected to be equally proficient and knowledgeable in all aspects of tactics, doctrine, and airframe employment. Prior to Desert Storm, it was rare to have a Commissioned Officer on orders as a Pilot-in-Command. Now, it is a virtual imperative for promotion to Command assignments above the Company level. New Warrants in the Army will still have an edge on their Commissioned counterparts with regards to total flight time and experience due to the fact that they retain the vast majority of Flight Instructor and Maintenance Test Pilot slots. But most of the distinctions are now gone. We are now more like the Air Force model which has Flight and Command tracks. We are all Commissioned and Branch Officers. We have a pay system that rewards those who want to fly initially, then tilts in favor of the Command track as careers near the 20 year retirement window. It is for these reasons that I'm on record here as being opposed to the Warrant Officer rank in the Army - simply because in the Army, the Warrant Officer has evolved into a rank that is different in name only. But I'm not complaining to loudly, lest someone think I don't appreciate my socio-economic status!

64gunpilot

You make it sound like 40 is old!

The prospect of retiring in 1-3 years and being done with it all. Remember these guys will be approaching age 40. I don't know what the rules for interservice transfer are, but I would guess that that is not going to be happening.

Brett

I'm 45 and have 15 years to go until I'm calling it quits - God Willing and me body don't quit on me! I've got friends I taught with at Flight school who flew Cobras in Vietnam and have in excess of 10,000 RW hours. They may not ever quit they are having so much fun! So when you've worn out your welcome in the Navy, come see us! You can get a job at our Aviation Center or attached to our active units teaching as a Dept. of the Army Civilian (DAC).

bobbybrock

None
64gunpilot,
I totally agree. I left the regular Army after 14 years active service as an aviator for that very reason. The difference b/t RLO and Warrants was becoming to blurred. I'm flying as a Federal GS13 type and part time for the guard. If you can find the slot it is a pretty good gig. All the Operational flying shizat w/o the Army b.s.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
But what would stop the Navy CWO H-60 pilot from leaving the Navy and jumping ship to the Army and getting a 25,000 a year bonus?

Navy: San Diego, Pensacola, Hawaii, JAX, Whidbey Island, Norfolk, VA, Japan

Army: Ft Bragg NC, Ft Campbell KY, Ft Polk LA, FT Riley KS, Ft Drum NY, Ft Hood TX, ROK etc.

bobbybrock

None
Navy: San Diego, Pensacola, Hawaii, JAX, Widbey Island, Norfolk, VA, Japan

Army: Ft Bragg NC, Ft Campbell KY, Ft Polk LA, FT Riley KS, Ft Drum NY, Ft Hood TX, ROK etc.

Navy: 6 months a year ( OR MORE) on a big or little boat ( ship) , Guam, NAS Fallon, China Lake. Camp Udari Kuwait( owned by the Army so it does really blow) And I'm sure lots of other swell places I don't know of.

Army: Savannah, Hawaii, Colorado, DC, Germany, Italy, Hondo, Japan and of course the Bahamas.

Stearman. Every service has its shizat holes. The key is staying away. Of my 14 years I spent only 3 at one the shizat mentioned above.

Pitchlock

pilot
Bottom line, there will be fewer URL JOs in the targeted communities - that's the intent

How does reducing the pool of qualified candidates increase the quality of those selected? It only means that the Navy has to figure out who is command quality even earlier in the selection process i.e. at commissioning. Big mistake.

The P-3 navy should be modeled closer to the Air Force. Its already a limited career path (How many P-3 admirals are there?). Its an important mission that belongs to the navy, but it operational requirements are fundamentally different from ship based aviation.

Don't put a wig on the red headed step-child.

Heloanjin

pilot
I not sure this will have the intended effect. You are reducing the number of JOs, but not the number of DHs (specifically mentioned in the message). DH screening is not that competative to begin with (in HSL I think the last board was around 85%), so there is little gain there. You still would have the same number of DHs competing for the #1 EP in order to screen for command.

There was a day in HSL when there were only 4-5 O-4s rather than the current 7-9 or more. OICs were often filled by O-3's (super JO or senior 1st tour). DH selection rate can be maintained and CO selection rate improved with this program.

Besides helping the CO selection rate in a community where is sucks, this program will improve the wardroom expertise. Too often the "experienced" OIC has been out of the cockpit for 4-6 years while the "seasoned" JOs still have a lot to learn.

adam28270

I saw this on another forum, thought it was interesting. From what it sounds like, it means less flying for officers. I've heard of Army O's who gave up their commission and went WO so they could fly more.

Here's the Link

adam28270

Just saw the date on it, but still an interesting topic non the less, unless you've already discussed it before....

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
While that article is almost 2 years old, it'd be interesting to see where those selected for in the program are now and how they are doing. I thought i heard of some showing up for API/primary but perhaps that was rumored.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dudes were starting API at the beginning of this year. They've done no better and no worse than the other ensigns. We looked at them the same way we would an ensign with prior enlisted time.

I think it's a good idea. Might be a period of adjustment once they hit the Fleet, since they have a different experience level than the CWOs we're used to having in aviation. But once they've got a couple of tours under their belts, it'll be a good way to keep experienced folks in the cockpit, rather than losing them to the "climbing the ladder" non-flying shore jobs.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
They recently had something in the NASP paper about the first CWO graduating primary and starting HT-28