• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Engineering in 4 Years and ROTC

FlyingGator

So they changed how NROTC selects SNAs / SNFOs You now are required to take the ASTB at your unit, and they pick based off a quota system. I’m not sure if USNA does this because I was an NROTC guy, but it is relatively the same odds of getting selected for Flight school. The only thing NROTC guarantees you is a butter bar.

So in John’s case he can most definitely get aviation, but he in the navy no matter what he does, he just has to be a good student.

exNavyOffRec

So they changed how NROTC selects SNAs / SNFOs You now are required to take the ASTB at your unit, and they pick based off a quota system. I’m not sure if USNA does this because I was an NROTC guy, but it is relatively the same odds of getting selected for Flight school. The only thing NROTC guarantees you is a butter bar.

So in John’s case he can most definitely get aviation, but he in the navy no matter what he does, he just has to be a good student.
Our NRD had to administer the ASTB to all the NROTC midshipman at the unit close to us.

If by quota system you mean X spots for SNA, X spots for SNFO, X for SWO, etc.... that is common.

FlyingGator

Our NRD had to administer the ASTB to all the NROTC midshipman at the unit close to us.

If by quota system you mean X spots for SNA, X spots for SNFO, X for SWO, etc.... that is common
Yeah that’s how that usually goes, we are fortunate to have a test admin come and take it in our learning center.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Gator,
As someone who literally did this like a couple months ago, shits changed. We averaged 12-15 hrs a week of commitments.
We had 8 mandatory study hours (more if you got a C or below in a class) that weren’t tutored, and 4 hours of class a week. Also there is only one mandatory watch standing unit in the nation for NROTC, so there isn’t much forced studying past the 4/C year. This is just the bare minimum.

NROTC isn’t a cake walk lol, thinking that was the first mistake I made. I agree that NROTC would be a great match for John, but that was a bit of an oversell.
My unit had PT 2 or 3 times a week for an hour, drill once a week for 2 hrs, and your Naval Science classes. Marines had a lot more requirements and training “opportunities” they were required to attend. Otherwise we did parking duty for the football and hockey teams to build our slush fund for events and traveling for competitions. Freshman year first semester you had 10 hrs of study hall a week, and had to do it again if your GPA sucked.

BarryD

Contributor
So they changed how NROTC selects SNAs / SNFOs You now are required to take the ASTB at your unit, and they pick based off a quota system.
Confused . . . what exactly changed?

First time hearing this (edit: that something changed).

FlyingGator

My unit had PT 2 or 3 times a week for an hour, drill once a week for 2 hrs, and your Naval Science classes. Marines had a lot more requirements and training “opportunities” they were required to attend. Otherwise we did parking duty for the football and hockey teams to build our slush fund for events and traveling for competitions. Freshman year first semester you had 10 hrs of study hall a week, and had to do it again if your GPA sucked.
That sounds about right, I wasn’t even counting Semper Fi Society or Battalion PT. That was 12-15 hrs of instruction. If you got a C or below you had to do 2 more study hours a day. It was tough

FlyingGator

Confused . . . what exactly changed?

First time hearing this.
A couple years ago they put the ASTB in affect for MIDN. I don’t know the specifics but when I came into my unit during my 4/C summer, the captain who was leaving was telling my father (who also flew in the navy). About the new ASTB quota system. Now… 17 year old me was looking at the wall and seeing airplanes and shitting myself so I wasn’t paying attention. But from what I remember it was a quota system.

BarryD

Contributor
A couple years ago they put the ASTB in affect for MIDN. I don’t know the specifics but when I came into my unit during my 4/C summer, the captain who was leaving was telling my father (who also flew in the navy). About the new ASTB quota system. Now… 17 year old me was looking at the wall and seeing airplanes and shitting myself so I wasn’t paying attention. But from what I remember it was a quota system.
As in in order to put down 1370 or 1390 on your dream sheet you have to take the ASTB and meet the minimum scores?

Sorry to spam, but I'm not sure what the "quota system" we're talking about is.

FlyingGator

As in in order to put down 1370 or 1390 on your dream sheet you have to take the ASTB and meet the minimum scores?

Sorry to spam, but I'm not sure what the "quota system" we're talking about is.
You take the ASTB and compete for a spot. If I complete NROTC and take the ASTB and get a 5/5/5 doesn’t matter if my dream sheet says I want to fly jets, I won’t be competitive for one of the slots.

exNavyOffRec

It was more than a few years ago, as in over 10

exNavyOffRec

It was actually 8 ish because the ASTB wasn’t put into practice until December 2013

Source: http://www.militaryaptitudetests.com/astb-e
Nope, the 3 ASTB current versions went into effect in 2013 and were delayed as they wanted to get them going in 2011, before that there were 3 other versions used for about 10 years, and before that there were 3 other versions used.

Each version has tweaked a few things but the testing they do prior to releasing makes sure while the test ask things or have you do things a different way the end result for the same person should be the same.

FlyingGator

Belay my last, I stand corrected. I was specifically talking about the 5th series ASTB or the ASTB-E. Nonetheless you out researched me lol ?

exNavyOffRec

Belay my last, I stand corrected. I was specifically talking about the 5th series ASTB or the ASTB-E. Nonetheless you out researched me lol ?
LOL not out researched just experience :)

It was interesting when the MIDS would get their scores and would ask our opinions, we would defer to their advisor whether it was a 9 or a 4.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
but that was a bit of an oversell.

An oversell? Fair enough. Now that you mention it, it was 8 hours when I was there, as well. I also forgot about the hour (let's just call it 90 minutes) of PT once a week. So to add all that up:

Drill and class: 4 hours (2 of which you actually had to study for and it's wasn't brain surgery material)
PT: 2 hours (unit dependent of course)
Study hours: 8 hours...but you have to study anyway

So a total of 14 hours. And again, as someone on an engineering track (which I was not), that amount of studying isn't overkill. If I didn't have that much to do on a certain night, I'd just read until my 2 hours was up.

And as an aside, the interaction with the ECPs (and MECPS) at ROTC were well worth some extra time suck, but that's for another discussion.

So they changed how NROTC selects SNAs / SNFOs You now are required to take the ASTB at your unit, and they pick based off a quota system.

but when I came into my unit during my 4/C summer, the captain who was leaving was telling my father (who also flew in the navy). About the new ASTB quota system.

It's always been like that. I'm not sure why the Skipper thought otherwise. Was that "Meat" Murray by any chance, or was it "Krusty?" Krusty left in late '20, so I'm guessing it might have been Meat.