• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Engineering in 4 Years and ROTC

FlyingGator

dude in my unit was on his 6th year getting a masters in Aerospace Engineering. He wants to be an astronaut or some shit.

mfores

I have known several who did running start and that allowed them to complete their engineering degree in 4 years or less, is that something that could be an option for you?
Less than 4 years for engineering? For me? Not a chance? And, how many people in the planet can complete an engineering degree in less than 4 years anyway?

FlyingGator

Well, for the test pilot or astronaut route, you need a STEM degree, right?
Im not sure if you NEED it, But it will certainly help you. The MIDN I'm talking about wants to do all that. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran for president one day lol. Theres only so much collegiate education can do for you, and the real question is, "At what point is NROTC education not worth it?" As an NROTC scholarship recipient you only get ether Tuition or Housing paid for so you are still out the other part of the bill. While a Navy officer you will be provided the opportunity to continue your collegiate education, but everything will be paid for, so keep that in mind.

mfores

Im not sure if you NEED it, But it will certainly help you. The MIDN I'm talking about wants to do all that. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran for president one day lol. Theres only so much collegiate education can do for you, and the real question is, "At what point is NROTC education not worth it?" As an NROTC scholarship recipient you only get ether Tuition or Housing paid for so you are still out the other part of the bill. While a Navy officer you will be provided the opportunity to continue your collegiate education, but everything will be paid for, so keep that in mind.
Oh, so you don't get the full ride with an NROTC scholarship, anyway? You still probably have to take out loans to cover the remainder? Hmm..maybe OCS is a viable option if one wants to concentrate on school and graduate as soon as possible with the best possible grades.

FlyingGator

Oh, so you don't get the full ride with an NROTC scholarship, anyway? You still probably have to take out loans to cover the remainder? Hmm..maybe OCS is a viable option if one wants to concentrate on school and graduate as soon as possible with the best possible grades.
no, NROTC isn't a "Full ride". They pay a certain amount of credits every year in tuition and or your room and board. (Which for me was about 11k). OCS is extremely viable because you don't have to do the NROTC bulls**t and with the extra time you have to study since you don't do NROTC stuff you can work on getting a college level scholarship for academics which is about the same thing if more. Also another thing is, (this is entirely dependent on your grades, but if you enlist, you can apply for NROTC scholarship , get released and do NROTC with your GI Bill benefits so you don't have to pay for ANYTHING. If you do this path, you also make more money and allowances because you would be an O-1E not just an O-1.

taxi1

pilot
Thanks..any chance a 5th year benefit would apply to a Tier 2 major such as math, applied math, or physics. I am looking at those majors as well. I know engineering is the deemed the hardest, with all its requirements, but physics can be hard too, especially if one wants to do research or graduate with departmental honors.
For sure Physics is just as hard (or harder) on a course by course basis, just not as much total workload. I know most Physics programs are 120 credits, most engineering are 135+ credits.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
no, NROTC isn't a "Full ride". They pay a certain amount of credits every year in tuition and or your room and board. (Which for me was about 11k). OCS is extremely viable because you don't have to do the NROTC bulls**t and with the extra time you have to study since you don't do NROTC stuff you can work on getting a college level scholarship for academics which is about the same thing if more. Also another thing is, (this is entirely dependent on your grades, but if you enlist, you can apply for NROTC scholarship , get released and do NROTC with your GI Bill benefits so you don't have to pay for ANYTHING. If you do this path, you also make more money and allowances because you would be an O-1E not just an O-1.

Wait, I thought all Tier I and II NROTC scholarships were 100% covered (tuition that is).

I hear of Tier III going back and forth with a partial scholarship.

FlyingGator

Wait, I thought all Tier I and II NROTC scholarships were 100% covered (tuition that is).

I hear of Tier III going back and forth with a partial scholarship.
Negative. All scholarships are covered the same, but its up to a certain credit hour. I had a dude in my Battalion who wanted to bang out over 20 credit hours in a semester (I know, he's crazy) and had to submit for additional funding. The difference between a tier 1-3 scholarship is selection chances. Just like OCS, if you had a dude who majored in reading and one in Aerospace Engineering, the AE degree guy is going first. For NROTC scholarships they are hella selective though for side loads, Something like 70% of scholarships are awarded to STEM degree holders.

To break down the tiers

Tier 1:
Aerospace Engineering
Quantum Physics
Nuclear Engineering

Tier 2:
Calculus
physics
biology
chemistry

Tier 3:
Economics,
Women Studies
Basically anything that isn't a T1 or T2

these are only a few, if you would like me to post the whole list I have it with me.

mfores

Negative. All scholarships are covered the same, but its up to a certain credit hour. I had a dude in my Battalion who wanted to bang out over 20 credit hours in a semester (I know, he's crazy) and had to submit for additional funding. The difference between a tier 1-3 scholarship is selection chances. Just like OCS, if you had a dude who majored in reading and one in Aerospace Engineering, the AE degree guy is going first. For NROTC scholarships they are hella selective though for side loads, Something like 70% of scholarships are awarded to STEM degree holders.

To break down the tiers

Tier 1:
Aerospace Engineering
Quantum Physics
Nuclear Engineering

Tier 2:
Calculus
physics
biology
chemistry

Tier 3:
Economics,
Women Studies

these are only a few, if you would like me to post the whole list I have it with me.
So, if I took up to say, 18 credits a semester, that should be fully covered, assuming a scholarship is awarded? Who in their right mind would want to take over 18 credits anyway, especially in a STEM major?

Is OCS just as selective as NROTC scholarships when evaluating the majors and grades of applicants?

Lots of good of 411 on this site. Thanks.

FlyingGator

So, if I took up to say, 18 credits a semester, that should be fully covered, assuming a scholarship is awarded? Who in their right mind would want to take over 18 credits anyway, especially in a STEM major?

Is OCS just as selective as NROTC scholarships when evaluating the majors and grades of applicants?

Lots of good of 411 on this site. Thanks.
ocs is a bit less competitive

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

To break down the tiers

Tier 1:
Aerospace Engineering
Quantum Physics
Nuclear Engineering

Tier 2:
Calculus
physics
biology
chemistry

Tier 3:
Economics,
Women Studies

No, I’m aware of the majors. That kind of make sense tuition is capped… but unless is someone trying to catch up or got hosed out of class registration doesn’t make sense to attempt to take that much of a class load.