• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Engineering in 4 Years and ROTC

mfores

Is it really possible to graduate college with an engineering degree and do ROTC at the same, or is that a joke?

Would the Navy provide funding for a 5th year of study in college? If so, would that only apply to engineering majors?

Thx.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is it really possible to graduate college with an engineering degree and do ROTC at the same, or is that a joke?

No... not really sure where you found this "joke". NROTC requires about 60-70% of their scholarships to be Tier 1 and Tier 2 majors. Tier 1 majors are often some sort of engineering degree.
Would the Navy provide funding for a 5th year of study in college? If so, would that only apply to engineering majors?

Yes. When you start college / NROTC, you'll complete an academic degree plan with your college and NROTC advisor. If it's apparent that you need another semester or full academic year to complete your major, you can apply for fifth year benefits. It's not a big deal and know quite a few folks (mainly engineering types) who did just that. You'll continue to receive NROTC benefits and participate in the NROTC unit while you finish your victory lap / fifth year.

mfores

Thanks, so ROTC can and will pay for 5 years of study if you are engineering and maybe something like physics or math, if you take on a minor or double major, as long you take at least 15 credits per semester?

I didn't mean to be funny. I just understand that it is difficult to graduate with an engineering degree in 4 years, even if one does nothing but study for all those 4 years.

oliviaellen22

Very possible! I am an engineering major at a difficult school in NROTC and I have a 4.0. It really comes down to how good you are at time management. There are at least three midshipmen every year in my unit who stay for a fifth year so it is not uncommon at all. Your school will estimate how many semesters it should take for you to graduate and a lot of the engineering majors are estimated to take 9 semesters so that makes it pretty easy to get fifth-year benefits. And as mentioned, most people in ROTC are engineering majors but I know 2nd tier majors who also got 5th year benefits.

mfores

Thank you for the response, Olivia and congrats in your accomplishments. Very impressive indeed.

If needed, do you happen to know if it is possible to squeeze in a summer course or two to graduate on time? If the cruises are 6 weeks, I would assume, no. If the cruises are 4 weeks, perhaps, yes.

Either way, it is good to know that the Navy allows for some flexibility for difficult majors.

oliviaellen22

Thank you for the response, Olivia and congrats in your accomplishments. Very impressive indeed.

If needed, do you happen to know if it is possible to squeeze in a summer course or two to graduate on time? If the cruises are 6 weeks, I would assume, no. If the cruises are 4 weeks, perhaps, yes.

Either way, it is good to know that the Navy allows for some flexibility for difficult majors.
Yes, definitely! I took calc III over the summer during CORTRAMID (the cruise after freshman year) and am getting my post-sophomore cruise waived to study abroad in order to graduate on time. This is the only cruise that you can get waived so a lot of my classmates are taking a summer semester this year as well.

After CORTRAMID, most cruises aren’t longer than a month, if that, so it’s completely feasible to take summer courses. One thing to note, though, is that the Navy will usually only pay for one summer semester. For instance, I paid for the calc class and the Navy will pay for my summer semester abroad.

mfores

Great, Olivia. I think you pretty much addressed my concerns. I don't so such paying for the summer courses out of pocket, as long as I can have time to take then. Thanks much and best of luck to you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks, so ROTC can and will pay for 5 years of study if you are engineering and maybe something like physics or math, if you take on a minor or double major, as long you take at least 15 credits per semester?

I didn't mean to be funny. I just understand that it is difficult to graduate with an engineering degree in 4 years, even if one does nothing but study for all those 4 years.

Not sure Navy will allow you to pursue a double Major if you can already graduate in 4 years.

All the specific questions you’re asking about timing and your degree you won’t really know until you start classes. You’ll usually be required to attend at least one summer training session before you can commission.

For now focus on (1) getting a NROTC scholarship and (2) getting accepted into college / engineering program if that’s what you so desire.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I came into my freshman year two classes shy of being a sophomore with AP credit, took winter classes, summer classes, and online classes during the year and still barely graduated in 4 years with my sanity. They basically guilted us into doing it in 4 years or being labeled a failure.

Once I went on my 1st class cruise and learned how many people took an extra semester or a full year and actually enjoyed the experience, I was livid at our front office person for not making us aware of the option earlier. Also come to find out that at my friends university they made all of the engineering students apply for fifth year benefits off the bat so they could either use it or turn it down later.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None

The only cruise that’s required is your first class cruise before commissioning. I had four year scholarship friends skip their earlier cruises for study abroad programs and summer courses at the college or back at home for transfer credit from community college (what I did for chem).

mfores

I came into my freshman year two classes shy of being a sophomore with AP credit, took winter classes, summer classes, and online classes during the year and still barely graduated in 4 years with my sanity. They basically guilted us into doing it in 4 years or being labeled a failure.

Once I went on my 1st class cruise and learned how many people took an extra semester or a full year and actually enjoyed the experience, I was livid at our front office person for not making us aware of the option earlier. Also come to find out that at my friends university they made all of the engineering students apply for fifth year benefits off the bat so they could either use it or turn it down later.
Wow! Thanks for that insight, Waveoff! While graduating in 4 years in preferable for all involved: student, parents, the navy, I realize that very few people out there have what it takes to pull an engineering degree off in 4 years, even without an extracurricular, like ROTC. I personally would much rather do 5 if I could graduate with better grades and actually enjoy my collegiate experience with being constantly stress and harried.

mfores

I did part of a 5th year to finish up my engineering degree. Not a big deal.
Thanks..any chance a 5th year benefit would apply to a Tier 2 major such as math, applied math, or physics. I am looking at those majors as well. I know engineering is the deemed the hardest, with all its requirements, but physics can be hard too, especially if one wants to do research or graduate with departmental honors.

exNavyOffRec

Thx.
I have known several who did running start and that allowed them to complete their engineering degree in 4 years or less, is that something that could be an option for you?