• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Elite Fighter Squadrons?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Ah hah, look! You post about elite squadrons and we come out of the woodwork. It's like the bat symbol. My super secret colleague @Swanee is üßзЯ El!t3 too. In fact, he has so many wings he can turn in one set and still fly with the other. Confucius say this was Cougar's fatal flaw.

Are you sure? This article makes F-22 pilots sound like everything I've been asking about.
You realize, of course, that we have our own flavor of propaganda, right? I'm not saying that article is incorrect, but it glosses over a lot of logistical hurdles. Like waking my ass up in the middle of the night to go give these guys gas.

taxi1

pilot
Not a horrible question to consider.

The Air Guard is a good place for specialized air units where the operators focus on one key mission for potentially a full career, and become the absolute experts in it. The Arctic/Antarctic squadron out of NYANG, the C130 squadron flying oddball C-130s with the PAANG, interceptor units, etc. Now the drone units.

Navy reserve can be similar for some missions.

Sonog

pilot
There’s no need for a special squadron when, if a crisis arises, you can just scoop up the top few newest graduates from a TOPGUN graduation ceremony and rush them to whatever carrier wasn’t properly equipped to handle the situation. Even if there’s a shortage of WSO’s the pilot CO of TOPGUN can fill that role, anytime.

BRO and they can get an O-6 +35 to come out of a testing squadron whose exploits are legendary, and then teach them tactics that mean the difference between life and death? Then they can brief their classified mission briefs in the hangar bay!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
OP, you are way over thinking this. First of all, the Flying Tigers were contractors and hardly “elite” pilots. Greg Boyington, nor any other member had any air-to-air kills before they got to China. Typically individual pilots earn “elite” status as individuals...so many carrier landings, schools, earning experience. They in turn share their experience with younger squadron members. As for the 160th (and I have spent time with them) their training in night flying training is what makes them “elite.” They train in specific skills that SOF units need, but these days most combat-focused helicopter squadrons/battalions can carry out the work...just not with the specialized equipment the SOAR guys have. Even with SOAR, guys they do their time, get their training, and eventually head back out to the ordinary force. Put simply, I’d rather have 100 elite guys spread across several squadrons than one elite squadron.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Don’t forget about the Super Elite Lethal Reaction Expert Squadrons (SELRES) who are manned with only the very best, highly trained and experienced pilots and get called only when things get exceptionally hairy.
Put part-time wings upon my chest.
Make me one of America’s pests.
I will yawn...if I show for drill.
But part-time covers my gas bill.

Back at home, a young spouse waits.
These fucking weekends, man she hates.
One-hundred men will apply today,
But only a few will get SELRES pay!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
0PTnVp.gif

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Ah hah, look! You post about elite squadrons and we come out of the woodwork. It's like the bat symbol. My super secret colleague @Swanee is üßзЯ El!t3 too. In fact, he has so many wings he can turn in one set and still fly with the other. Confucius say this was Cougar's fatal flaw.

You realize, of course, that we have our own flavor of propaganda, right? I'm not saying that article is incorrect, but it glosses over a lot of logistical hurdles. Like waking my ass up in the middle of the night to go give these guys gas.

So l337! I can't open a Cracker Jack box without finding another pair!